Feeling guilty about my "guilt free eating day"

Options
I read a lot of having 1 day a week where you dont worry about everything you eat ..

Last night was date night with my husband .. while I did not eat the whole restaurant .. I am way over on my calories for the day! like 1000 calories over .. at least .. I sort of guessed on a few things from the restaurant...

I have been on track all week ... and today is a new day .. but I cant help but feel guilty for last night :(

Replies

• camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    It's not for everyone. You don't have to have one. Personally, I don't and never have.

I suppose, theoretically, it's supposed to make you happier and less likely to deviate from whatever diet you're on, but if it only makes you feel worse, what's the point? A setback is a setback, IMO.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Do not feel guilty. Feel empowered. Feel happy. It will not set you back in the long run. But it is only effective if that one day of indulgence results in a worry free week of compliance. If it makes you feel so guilty you get the "screw it's" the rest of the week, it may be detrimentl rather than effective.

I have been doing a cheat day ever since I started dieting. Epic 5,000 calorie events eating anything I wanted in any quantity. Had one yesterday. Had 10 chocalate chip cookies, 4 bowls of fruit loops and 4 cups of milk. For breakfast. All things I would never eat during the week. And boy, did I feel aweful. Not mentally, but physically. Recovered b the evening and added a Dairy Queen Bilizzard and 3 Holtmans donuts to finish the day. 4,800 cal total. After all that, I won't have any desire to cheat until next Saturday. That's the key. I always know I have next Saturday if I crave something during the week. And that keeps me on track and happy.

So, go forth and cheat but only if it works for you. It is not for everyone. But if it doesn't nuke you mentally, rest assured it will not hurt your progress.
  • ezme13
    ezme13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If I call it a "day" I tend to go a bit overboard and wipe out a whole week's healthy eating. Rather than a guilt free day, i do a guilt free meal. If I know I'm going out somewhere nice I eat extra sensibly that day. I then eat what I want but log everything. The important thing is not to let it derail you. The next morning is a new day.
  • LindaVolker
    LindaVolker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is great that you shared your "cheat time" with your husband. I think it is good to do this with others, but if I'm off my diet on my own rather than having fun with family and friends it isn't quite as much fun.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I don't do a guilt free day on a regular basis but, if I'm going out for a special meal and time with hubby or friends, I try to check the restaurant's website (if available) and pre-plan something delicious and not overboard. But if there's something I rarely have that I really want, I go ahead and enjoy it. I find I'm able to eat half and am satisfied so I can bring the rest home to enjoy later. Then it's only half that large number of calories at a time.
  • jayrae87
    jayrae87 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you're afraid of feeling guilty, start with one cheat meal and see if that helps alleviate the guilt. I had two pieces of Carvel ice cream cake yesterday and was really depressed about it, but realistically it doesn't make me gain any weight back, so long as I don't make it a habit! I wouldn't have a set day or whatever for it, either. Just allow yourself small indulgences here and there so you don't feel like binging on a particular day.
  • Marley112586
    Marley112586 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If your feeling that guilty dont do it. Its supposed to help you stay on track and not throw in the towel. I have cheat days. Every 2 weeks to a month. As long as I can stretch it.
  • MamaTop
    MamaTop Posts: 24
    Options
    I knew all day we were going out .. and I had a great healthy breakfast and lunch ... so in a way I did prepare for dinner out!

And today I have been right back on track!

I feel less guilty now knowing that I got up this morning and jumped right back on the wagon rather then say "well last night I blew it .. might as well blow it again today"

Thanks everyone!
  • jazzcat55
    jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I don't do a guilt free day on a regular basis but, if I'm going out for a special meal and time with hubby or friends, I try to check the restaurant's website (if available) and pre-plan something delicious and not overboard. But if there's something I rarely have that I really want, I go ahead and enjoy it. I find I'm able to eat half and am satisfied so I can bring the rest home to enjoy later. Then it's only half that large number of calories at a time.

This is what I do, too. We are meeting some friends at a restaurant this afternoon, so I went to their website and looked at the menu. Even the lightest entrees sound too rich, so I'll go with one of their salads with vinaigrette dressing.

"Cheat days" aren't for me, either. I'm too afraid I would fall off the wagon completely. A cheat *meal* once in a great while is a lot more doable for me. But everyone is different!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I've never had a cheat day. I have planned splurges by running a larger deficit in advance. Maybe try that.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've never had a cheat day. I have planned splurges by running a larger deficit in advance. Maybe try that.

Ditto. And I just whatever I want within my calories/macros. For me cheating is going over 10g of fat...
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Glad you're feeling better. I focus on special events and plan in my treats. Right now I'm detoxing from sugar, classic sugar addict here, so my treats are in different forms, kill guacamole anyone? lol

Picking yourself up and plowing forward is the only way to go. You're doing it right!
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I too go with the 'special occasion' rather than a scheduled cheat day. I'm not sure I could have a whole day of 'cheating' and not mess up my whole week.

I enjoy good food and if I go to a really nice restaurant with my husband and friends, I don't want to be sitting with a lettuce leaf and a bit of plain chicken but I won't automatically have a dessert. I let myself go a bit over Easter (nothing major) but by the time Monday rolled around I was actually glad to cut down again as I felt bloated for the first time since I started.

Every time I lose 7lb (1.2st in UK speak in case anyone thinks that's a random number!) I have a Panini with my boss as he misses our lunches but I fit that in with my count for the day.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    It is likely that 1000 calories over will not put you over your maintence amount for the week since you are eating at a deficit. Forgive yourself and move on.

We are all trying to eat like regular people and achieve and stay fit, right? Every thin and fit person I know splurges on food from time to time. It is normal and natural and part of learning to function for the rest of our lives as far as food goes.

As an aside, I do not have "cheat days" or "cheat meals" because there is really no need. Eat sensibly, the foods you love, in moderation, and you will be fine.
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I read a lot of having 1 day a week where you dont worry about everything you eat ..

Last night was date night with my husband .. while I did not eat the whole restaurant .. I am way over on my calories for the day! like 1000 calories over .. at least .. I sort of guessed on a few things from the restaurant...

I have been on track all week ... and today is a new day .. but I cant help but feel guilty for last night :(

At least one high calorie day is in fact a very good idea if and only if you are sticking to a lower calorie, aggressive weight loss plan the rest of the week. That little calorie bump that pulls you out of a deficit can keep your body from becoming more calorie efficient by burning less calories at rest (BMR) since it's not getting as much any more. 1000 over is reasonable so enjoy it. You will be heavier the day after but that is expected; a day or two after that you're back on track and still dropping. Embrace your guilt free day.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options

Maybe it is not for you. You shouldn't feel guilty for eating. If you do it isn't worth the action no matter what the purpose for it is. I do not do cheat days either because I do not think it is necessary. But don't let it discourage you, fix it and move forward don't dwell on it.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Do not feel guilty. Feel empowered. Feel happy. It will not set you back in the long run. But it is only effective if that one day of indulgence results in a worry free week of compliance. If it makes you feel so guilty you get the "screw it's" the rest of the week, it may be detrimentl rather than effective.

I have been doing a cheat day ever since I started dieting. Epic 5,000 calorie events eating anything I wanted in any quantity. Had one yesterday. Had 10 chocalate chip cookies, 4 bowls of fruit loops and 4 cups of milk. For breakfast. All things I would never eat during the week. And boy, did I feel aweful. Not mentally, but physically. Recovered b the evening and added a Dairy Queen Bilizzard and 3 Holtmans donuts to finish the day. 4,800 cal total. After all that, I won't have any desire to cheat until next Saturday. That's the key. I always know I have next Saturday if I crave something during the week. And that keeps me on track and happy.

So, go forth and cheat but only if it works for you. It is not for everyone. But if it doesn't nuke you mentally, rest assured it will not hurt your progress.

I hate to sound like Judgy McJudger, but this sounds like binge eating to me. I couldn't eat this much if I tried. WOW.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    You can easily wipe out your entire weeks worth of work (caloric deficit) if you have a whole day of binge eating. Its not really worth it IMO.
  • crlyxx
    crlyxx Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Can't a guilt-free day technically end up defeating the purpose of the entire week? Like if you have 4,000 calories, and that's 2000 or so above your maintenance, wouldn't that mess up 4 days of the -500 calories/day weight loss plan someone might have to lose a pound a week?
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options

I hate to sound like Judgy McJudger, but this sounds like binge eating to me. I couldn't eat this much if I tried. WOW.

Call it what you want but I will let my results stand on their own. I don't judge other people's success. I don't push my methods on anyone else. I just let them know what has worked for me and a lot of others on the 4 hour body Slow Carb Diet.

This site has the most judgmental population of any I have ever been on.