Too much sugar?

Options
Seriosly - it's impossible low.

Have a look at my dairy today so far, sugar is only in sweet potato (moderate portion) and 3 mandarins and it's already above the recommended!!!

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb. As long as you're eating enough fats and protein, your carbs/sugar aren't important unless you have a medical issue that requires carbs/sugar to be monitored. As long as you're under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. Some people find that sugar (even from fruit) causes them to have more sugar/carb cravings. If this isn't the case for you there's no need to limit sugar.
  • Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue right now, I am at a weight loss stall over the last two weeks after almost 3 straight months of losing weight. I knew it would happen eventually. I am always over in my sugar, but its never unclean food. This week I am lowering my sugar intake to see if it helps at all.
  • treenuh_x
    treenuh_x Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My sugars are sometimes high, but they're always high from fruits - never from things with refined sugar. I am assuming this is okay unless you have a medical issue that requires you to keep your sugars low (diabetes, etc). If I am wrong, feel free to correct me.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    My sugars are sometimes high, but they're always high from fruits - never from things with refined sugar. I am assuming this is okay unless you have a medical issue that requires you to keep your sugars low (diabetes, etc). If I am wrong, feel free to correct me.
    Even if it was from refined sugar it wouldn't matter.

Your body sees absolutely NO deference between sugar from fruit and sugar from a cookie except that leptin level will spike from the cookie (which is a good thing, leptin promotes satiety and helps you lose weight).
  • bubbanene
    bubbanene Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Sugar recommendations are for added sugars. I am sure you will get countless posts about dont worry about sugar(added). Fact is better than 10% of U.S. are diabetic. Thats not including pre d people with metabolic syndrome etc. etc. I am not saying go crazy with counting the sugars but I do believe tracking them can be beneficial. I never understood the thinking of macros are important EXEPT for sugar, LOL. What is the worst that could happen if you keep an eye on em? Worst if you dont? Pasquales gambit.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about how much sugar you consume as long as it's from fruit. At least this is what my DR told me when I asked him.

He told me to eat all the fruit I want!! YUMMY!!! I love Cuties (mandarin) this time of year, some days, I can eat 4 of them!! LOL
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't seem to make difference between added sugar and the one in fruit, so I think I will just ignore the number
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Sugar recommendations are for added sugars. I am sure you will get countless posts about dont worry about sugar(added). Fact is better than 10% of U.S. are diabetic. Thats not including pre d people with metabolic syndrome etc. etc. I am not saying go crazy with counting the sugars but I do believe tracking them can be beneficial. I never understood the thinking of macros are important EXEPT for sugar, LOL. What is the worst that could happen if you keep an eye on em? Worst if you dont? Pasquales gambit.

Nothing against your post just point out another view point to your statement:

I am a Type 2 diabetic and have fought my way down from 560 lbs. 4 years ago with A1c over 10.0.... I began my journey working with an Dietician who put me onto what I call the K.I.S.S method (Keep It Simple Stupid) I was consuming over 8-10,000 calories a day back then and the biggest thing for me was to get my intake down and my exercise level (which was none cause a couldn't even walk around my own house) up... So I began aquatic therapy to use weight displacement to allow me to stand and we started working on my relationship with food. sugar is a subset of carbs, so from the beginning we concentrated on my caloric intake and my 3 main macro's (Carbs, Proteins, and Fats) beyond that it was irrelevant. I never once tracked a single gram of sugar (or sodium for that matter) but I did make sure that I was adhering to a mealplan that kept my carb intake around 60-70 grams at my main meals and 20-25 grams at my snacks. My Protein and Fats fell pretty much equally between the two... Beyond that I drank atleast 100 oz. of water a day and got my pool workouts in... I had to lose over 170 in the pool before I could be fit with knee braces and got pushed out of the pool onto solid ground... Since then and down a few pounds I still use this same approach because why complicate things. Natural occurring sugars in fruits are fine and as of now no foods are cut out of my diet...... My A1c have averaged 5.4 over the last 1 1/2 years so the approach I took (atleast for me has worked).... Best of Luck to you.......
  • bubbanene
    bubbanene Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    congrats, motivates me to keep it up. Even though you didnt track your sugar there is no doubt that your added sugar intake was drastically reduced, refined sugars are definitely not irrelevant, especially to a diabetic
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue right now, I am at a weight loss stall over the last two weeks after almost 3 straight months of losing weight. I knew it would happen eventually. I am always over in my sugar, but its never unclean food. This week I am lowering my sugar intake to see if it helps at all.
    Sugar has nothing to do with you stalling.