Always getting shin splints when running, why?

Options
2»

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone for the advice. I will check out the running form website. I am a heal-striker when I run for sure which may be the problem. I'm also very uptight when I run thinking I'm trying to hold form. You guys are life savers! Thanks!

Yeah, sounds like the issue(s) there. Shorten up your stride, increase your cadence and that should help you into more of a mid-foot to fore-foot strike. That helped me immensely and now my heels never touch. Also don't try to stand upright. Keep yourself leaning slightly forward from the ankles up (don't bend at the waist). Do that all the time - whether on flat ground or uphill or downhill. On hills take shorter steps and increase your cadence even more. I find that it helps to start moving my arms faster and my legs will naturally follow.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone for the advice. I will check out the running form website. I am a heal-striker when I run for sure which may be the problem. I'm also very uptight when I run thinking I'm trying to hold form. You guys are life savers! Thanks!

Running minimalist will allow you to run naturally with a mid/forefoot plant. Engineered running shoes have created more problems then they have solved & enable the runner to adopt bad form. Running is as natural as breathing. Let your feet work as nature intended them to. Shin splints is a modern affliction.

As some above have advised, let your legs heal first & do not try to run through it. Shin splints and stress fractures have the same symptoms.

If you have questions feel free to hit me up.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Chances are you are heel striking and overpronating.

Your body was not designed to do this so it rewards you with painful shins for your efforts.

You can either:
    - Get better shoes, which will allow to to continue to run in way your body was not designed to do, a little more comfortably than you do now.
    - Learn to run the way your body was designed to run (forefoot strike), which should completely eliminate splints for good.
  • lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Chances are you are heel striking and overpronating.

Your body was not designed to do this so it rewards you with painful shins for your efforts.

You can either:
    - Get better shoes, which will allow to to continue to run in way your body was not designed to do, a little more comfortably than you do now.
    - Learn to run the way your body was designed to run (forefoot strike), which should completely eliminate splints for good.

Totally agree with this. I had the same problem. I was trying to run too fast and heel striking at the same time. Slow down. Check out chi running which might help your running form/posture.