Lifters- why oatmeal and egg whites?

Options
kopmom
kopmom Posts: 491 Member
I see alot of people who lift have oatmeal and egg whites for breakfast. I assume because this is a good balance of carbs and protein?

I am ok with the oatmeal but not a fan (nor do I have the time to cook in the morning) of egg whites. Anything I can add to my oatmeal to give me some protein?

Replies

• 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Try adding a scoop of whey protein powder after you cook you oats. There a a lot of good flavors out there so you can change it up. I like Optimum Nutrition whey protein isolate - it does not kick my lactose intolerance issues.
  • cookenup
    cookenup Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi,

You can either add some whey protein powder to increase the protein, or have turkey bacon or morningstar farms soy breakfast patties which are wonderful. There are also brown and serve turkey sausages in the frozen food section, which I rreally like and they are really cheap, they come in maple or regular, cannot recall the brand, but you will find them, just look for "Brown N Serve" sausages, they are simple to put in the microwave, as is the turkey bacon, which I wrap in a papaer towel and cook for like 1 1/2 min. you can add a few slivered almonds to your oatmeal with frouit and it is a very complete breakfast.

I also encourage you to check out www.zonediet.com, I have lost at least 20 lbs each time in my life I have wanted to lose weight and not be hungrey! He teaches 40-30-30, which is 40% carb, 30% protein, and 30% fat, you can go to goals on my fitness pal, and change your goals to 40-30-30, under the custom tab....that way you will know when you are having way too much of something, it works and you won't be hungry....you can get the book at the library "enter the zone" by Barry Sears...Great book.

Good Luck...
    Jill:smile:
  • GSDSheri
    GSDSheri Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A friend gave me a great recipe of equal parts egg whites and oatmeal. Mix and spoon onto a griddle and cook over low heat making pancakes. You can add fruit like blueberries or today I just topped them with banana yogurt and sliced banana. You said you dont have time to cook but you can also make these in batches and refrigerate, then heat in the microwave. Just a thought.
  • Hazel2005
    Hazel2005 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    When I make my oatmeal I mix the egg whites with the water and oats and nuke it. You can barely tell they are mixed in and I top it with berries or splenda - 2 minutes and done!

Edit - I should clarify - I'm a lifter wannabee........I just like oats & egg whites :smile:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    oats plus egg whites is disgusting IMO. oats plus protein plus PB plus fruit.

egg whites go with veggies for scrambles and omelettes :smile:
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Yep :)

Oatmeal is filling and delicious, and I prefer like 6 egg whites to protein powder. It's more filling and satisfying for me. I like to eat them several ways;

1. Cook them separately and mix them together before eating
    2. Mix together and microwave in a big bowl to make a souflee/breakfast bread of sorts (I also use wheat bran or quinoa flakes instead of oats
    3. Mix together and cook on the stove top like a pancake.

I also add flavorings/extracts/cinnamon/almond butter, etc.

Its all personal preference though, so if you don't like it don't eat it! :)
  • thefewsteps
    thefewsteps Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt, peanut flour, peanut butter, nuts
    I sometimes do half oats, half texturized soy/vegetable protein granules.
  • kopmom
    Options
    When I make my oatmeal I mix the egg whites with the water and oats and nuke it. You can barely tell they are mixed in and I top it with berries or splenda - 2 minutes and done!

Edit - I should clarify - I'm a lifter wannabee........I just like oats & egg whites :smile:

How many egg whites do you put in? I usually do 1/2 cup of oats and 1 cup of water
  • kopmom
    Options
    Try adding a scoop of whey protein powder after you cook you oats. There a a lot of good flavors out there so you can change it up. I like Optimum Nutrition whey protein isolate - it does not kick my lactose intolerance issues.

Ok for everyone who said at the protein powder to the oats...does it mix in ok after they are all cooked and hot?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options

Ok for everyone who said at the protein powder to the oats...does it mix in ok after they are all cooked and hot?

Depends on type so you'll have to experiment. If I want a full 40g scoop of protein then I'll normally put half in to cook in microwave for 3mins ish and then let it cool for a minute and then add the rest and stir.
  • GSDSheri
    GSDSheri Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A friend introduced me to protein pancakes. Equal parts oatmeal, egg whites and cottage cheese. Cook over lower heat and a little more time than regular pancakes and top with yogurt and fresh fruit. You can make a bunch at a time and refrigerate to reheat later. Very filling and delicious. For 2 pancakes I use 1/3 cup of each ingredient. :wink: