Losing the SAME 5 lbs over and over again . . .

Options
I can only stay within my calorie range for a few days at a time, then I start to slip, and then I quit counting for a day or two and wind up having to start all over . . . AGAIN. I'm tired of losing the same 5 lbs - and I can't be the only one.

I'm 44 years old, active (gym rat) and healthy and looking for friends with similar challenges.

Replies

• lmc8774
    lmc8774 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'll be able to help as I'm in the same boat, but feel free to add me! I work out too - run, crossfit - and I do really well for a week or two and then have a bad week or two. Last year I was really consistent and lost almost 10 pounds. Then put on a few back while doing the same thing and now am losing and gaining the same few pounds. I started crossfit to see if it would help but haven't lost any weight, only gained. Maybe some muscle weight?
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I bet its hard to stay at 1200. Plus the last few pound are the hardest to lose. Hopefully you eat all your exercise cals back.
  • jess6741
    jess6741 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Are your calorie goals unrealistic? If you're a gym rat and work out a lot then you need to eat quite a bit to fuel your workouts. Your calorie range is probably too low and that's why you can't stick with it. Calculate your TDEE and subtract 15% and that's about what you should be eating.
  • gsfreeman2
    gsfreeman2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Where are you in your weight loss plan? Are you near the beginning, near the middle, or approaching your goal? They all take different strategies.

But certainly, mindfulness, consistency, and resilience are the keys.

Sometimes on a plateau we are losing inches rather than pounds... the body is recomposing itself ... so it may not be a bad thing all in and of itself.

My scale was in the same 5-10 pound range from May, 2012 until January, 2013.... then I made a commitmnet to tighten up my diet, double up my exercise, and be as mindful as I could. I have now moved down to where I am within 5 pounds of my goal.

I hope this helps! Would be happy to discuss it further with you!

--Greg
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    Are your calorie goals unrealistic? If you're a gym rat and work out a lot then you need to eat quite a bit to fuel your workouts. Your calorie range is probably too low and that's why you can't stick with it. Calculate your TDEE and subtract 15% and that's about what you should be eating.

I do work out a lot and I lift HEAVY in addition to doing cardio, pilates, yoga. etc - but I eat all of those calories back. For some reason, my body seems to think I should weigh around 135 lbs and I can be comfortable at that weight. (I'm 5'5".) However, I'd like to weigh 128 lbs, but whenever I get close to the 130 lb mark, I feel physically HUNGRY all the time, and emotionally crave carbs.
  • space_case
    space_case Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I think there really is something to be said about your body just wanting to weigh a certain number. Maybe 135 is yours.

But, I bounced between the same 5-10 lbs for over 2 months.

I finally broke that in the last week. I did it by tightening up my diet mainly. No eating out. No eating anything I didn't prepare myself. I weigh and measure pretty much everything.
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    <
    Same problem. Same 3-4 lbs. for several months. I think I finally get over the hump then I slow down, stop logging & right back up I go. I can get gung ho for about 2 weeks, then suddenly. *Bang* I can't get out of bed to work out, and lose all motivation.

Frustrating
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Me too, and I still have 40 (at least) to lose.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Me too!!!! I love going to the gym so exercise is not a problem, but food is! I do good, I lose, then I fall off the wagon.. it's like some self destruction!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You have to log religiously which I see you aren't. Lots of days missing and the ones I do see are over goal. I'm doing the same so I'm about to log again too for a little while.
  • Nikki_XC
    Nikki_XC Posts: 69
    Options
    I am the same way myself, I don't know what is my issue. I'm active, but I'm not able to get my eating under control and make any progress. I tend to eat healthy foods, just too much some days. Unless I increase my activity by 3 times what I'm doing now, my body's not going to make any progress. It's not a terrible thing maintaining, but this cycling crap has got to stop, and only I can make that happen.

/frustrated
  • bonkers1224
    bonkers1224 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Count me in that group....seems if I go over 1200 I'll be at a stand still and have been for a month now SO frustrating ...grrrr:)
  • kesslertg
    kesslertg Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I was attracted to your post because a few months ago I turned off the feature showing my weight loss on my news feed because while it looked like I was losing it was the same five pounds over and over again, just like Ground Hog Day, lol. Recently I've declared war on food ... have kept calories way down for last week. I've documented the logic and my experience in my Blog if you are interested .. the Blog is here on MFP and also at DeclareWaronFood.WordPress.Com .... maybe you will get some ideas.

I too burn a huge amount of calories every day. Exercise is not my problem. Food/calories are my problem. Anyway, good luck on your journey. You really don't look like you have much of a weight problem so the gym workouts are likely good enough. Just my two cents. Tom
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Have you considered cutting out the candy? I know I've bugged you about it before, but you are a TWIZZLERAHOLIC. :laugh: I mean, it's not as though I'm perfect or anything - far from it - but since you're on here asking for suggestions, I'd suggest cutting out the sugar and corn syrup.

When I have cut out the sugar (and for me, processed foods and highly processed grains), I have noticed a big difference in cravings, as well as a much more even energy level. No surges or crashes. After I cut that stuff out, I had NO cravings for it, either. Instead, I found myself craving fruit for dessert. It was pretty freaky, actually!
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    You have to log religiously which I see you aren't. Lots of days missing and the ones I do see are over goal. I'm doing the same so I'm about to log again too for a little while.

Guilty, as charged. Sometimes, it's just too easy to "start over tomorrow."
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    Have you considered cutting out the candy? I know I've bugged you about it before, but you are a TWIZZLERAHOLIC. :laugh: I mean, it's not as though I'm perfect or anything - far from it - but since you're on here asking for suggestions, I'd suggest cutting out the sugar and corn syrup.

When I have cut out the sugar (and for me, processed foods and highly processed grains), I have noticed a big difference in cravings, as well as a much more even energy level. No surges or crashes. After I cut that stuff out, I had NO cravings for it, either. Instead, I found myself craving fruit for dessert. It was pretty freaky, actually!

Yes! Thank you for your upfront suggestion.

I did cut out the Twizzlers, for 40 days and 40 nights - nothing to do with Lent, I just wanted my challenge to sound biblical - just to see if I could do it. I can. Actually, I think I cut them out for 43 days, because then I didn't go to the store . . . but, as HORRIBLE as Twizzlers are for me nutritionally, I love them. In spite of the drawbacks, I decided that life is better with them than without.

I LOVE sweets, I'm okay with vegetables and I just don't LIKE protein much - it's hard for me to "spend" 100-200 calories on lean meat when I could be eating Twizzlers instead. I don't think I'm strong enough to give up sweets, but I am trying to keep my carbs under 55% and protein over 15% on a daily . . . I guess you could say I'm a "functioning TWIZZLERAHOLIC."
  • ramalem
    ramalem Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I'm having a REAL struggle staying under 1,250 calories a day (which is what I'm told is what I should eat to lose 1lb a week). I totally fall off the wagon on the weekends, but am really good during the week.
  • msjohnson426
    msjohnson426 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I gave up on the 1200 cal a day... but yes for me it's the same 3 lbs over and over 2 weeks to lose it and 3 days to gain it back