My First 5K Mud Run - Lessons Learned (Pics)

Options
juliemouse83
juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
I have read a lot of posts from people who have done mud runs. I think all of the threads I’ve read were all happy threads from people who successfully finished their races.

I want to share my experience with anyone who might be contemplating this, because my experience, while interesting, on the fun side, and dirty, was not all sunshine and roses, although that was my own fault.

Yesterday was my first ever 5K. It was a charity mud run.

Back in January, my 5’7” frame was toting around 192 pounds and I was ready to drop some weight,. One of my friends from work told me about this mud run, and asked if I would want to run it with her. Thinking, at the time, it was a wonderful idea, we registered with five other women.

I downloaded the C25K program for my phone, and started off diligently enough. Got through three weeks and the weather out here went south, and I wasn’t feeling the whole “running in sleet/cold rain-thing,” so I picked up weight lifting (pardon the pun) in mid-February.

Things were going really well until I sprained my back (figured out it was piss-poor form on a barbell row) in mid-March. Thinking it wasn’t a big deal, I kept lifting, but finally relented and went to the doctor and an orthopedist to get it checked out. Sure enough, it was sprained and I pretty much was benched from lifting and anything else high impact, so being the stubborn hussy that I am, I just stopped deadlifts and rows during this time and did light squats with either just the bar or a few pounds on either side, kept up with my OHP’s and bench presses. Did a lot of time on the elliptical.

Down to 167 pounds, I figured, based on all the time on the elliptical, I would be good to go on the run, and given the strength training, my upper body would be in better shape to handle the obstacles. I was half right.

We got to the site and pinned on our bibs and did our stretches. While I was still feeling that *twinge* in my back, it had gotten a lot better and I was absolutely set on doing this event.

01jasminejulie.jpg

After we stretched a bit and kind of got warmed up, we mugged for some pictures. At 47, I am the oldest woman on the team, the rest being in their 20’s and early 30’s.

09stronggirls3.jpg

Things started out okay, but before long, I was so winded I had to slow down and try and catch my breath (this is where I learned that for me, all the time in the world on the elliptical would not replace actual jogging), and soon fell way behind. Fortunately there was a wait at most of the obstacles and I was able to catch up.

I love, love, LOVED the obstacles! Even the combat crawl tunnel, which was where I felt my back go out again.

18tunnel.jpg

I fell further behind, and the girl whose idea this was asked me what was I going to do, and I simply stated, “Finish.”

And finish I did.

The tire hill was fun, but winded me worse than the other obstacles. I loved anything where I had to climb. Yes, those OHP’s and bench presses came into play for those.

Our team wasn’t in it to win it. We were in it to finish. Together. And while I was panting, and limping, and thinking I was going to have a heart attack right there and then, they waited for me.

22finish.jpg

So, MY lessons learned? (I hope this helps someone else who still has weight to lose and is wondering if a 5K mud run is for them.) And remember…YMMV.

-Do NOT put away your running/jogging program 2 months before the race, thinking you got this.

-The elliptical machine is not going to replace running as a means of building your endurance, if you are NOT a runner. (And I am NOT a runner.)

-Jogging multiple Island Laps on Wii Fit in place, in your living room, is probably not going to help much, either. :bigsmile:

-Do NOT do this with a back injury, even if you think you’ll be ok. My back hurts worse today than it did after the original injury.

-Heavy lifting helped more than I thought. I went from zero upper body strength in February to being a climbing machine yesterday. I LOVED the climbing/descending/rope obstacles the best. :bigsmile: Also, I believe that while I am a bit sore in my shoulders and glutes, that I would have been more sore without the strength training.

-If you are injured enough to have to see a doctor before one of these events? Do yourself a favor and stay benched when they bench you. :wink:

While I have read many posts from people who have done these and said that they have found a new addiction, I can’t honestly say that. It was honestly the most physically difficult thing I have ever done, outside of giving birth (and at least then, you can get good drugs, ha ha).

Will I do it again? As a matter of fact, there will be another one in November, and I plan on giving it another go, training for it the right way, next time. I think running (okay, walk/jogging) injured does suck some of the fun out of it. While I finished it? In my mind it was a 5K fail, because after re-spraining my back there was one obstacle I had to completely skip, and I walked entirely too much of it. I disappointed myself, and held back my team.

37lindsayjulie.jpg

That said? It was amazing to me that I finished. It was an incredible bonding experience that I will never forget, stopping felt SO good, and I will remember it for the rest of my life.

ETA: Sorry the pics are so huge. I think if you right click and open them in a new tab or window you can see them in their entirety.

Replies

• darwinforyou
    darwinforyou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    You're so awesome lady!!! I'm glad you finished, sorry you sprained your back but you are 100% inspiring my friend!
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Great job and great info!
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the honest perspective! My 28 yo daughter did this last fall with no prep and barely made it but suffered through it. I stood by and watched. They did it on local ski slops which would have scared me to death! This year she is prepping the right way, and has asked me to join her (I am 58 going on 59!). I do a lot of walking, but not sure its for me just yet. I appreciate how you laid it all out, your injuries, challenges and determination! I know just from watching that you accomplished a great feat of strength!!
  • tayteetots
    tayteetots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Good to know that the elliptical doesn't help with the 5k!! I guess I need to suck it up every day at the gym on the treadmill and not let myself get away with the elliptical! Hopefully outside gets better soon :)

and great job!!
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    congrats on finishing! i am thinking of doing one of these in september. thanks for the insight!
  • BleedsCoffee
    BleedsCoffee Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    What an awesome post! I've definitely read, many times in many places, that both the elliptical trainer and the treadmill (to a lesser extent) are no substitute for running outdoors and having to adjust to all the little inconsistencies that both the sidewalk and the trail offer. I can only imagine how tough your mud run would've been. Thank you so much for the share, both for the information and the inspiration!
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    I am so glad that this post has been well received. I hesitated clicking the post button, but glad I did.

Our kind words have taken a lot of the sting out of how I feel about my performance. :flowerforyou:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Yay!!! So glad you finished. How was the pig? I saw no mention of the pig...

I'm sorry that you hurt your back again, but you should be proud that you finished, and you definitely shouldn't feel like a failure. You are awesome. And you'll rock it in November too if you sign up for that one. Now get some much needed rest and stay out of the squat rack for a while...
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

I'm sorry that you hurt your back again, but you should be proud that you finished, and you definitely shouldn't feel like a failure. You are awesome. And you'll rock it in November too if you sign up for that one. Now get some much needed rest and stay out of the squat rack for a while...

^^^^^^this is exactly what I was going to say! Well, except for the pig part......:laugh:

Great work lady! I'm so proud of you and you are most definitely not a failure! :bigsmile: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Awesome job finishing what you started out to do!!

Now rest up!:drinker:
  • Shawnzgirl78
    Shawnzgirl78 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I am so glad that this post has been well received. I hesitated clicking the post button, but glad I did.

Our kind words have taken a lot of the sting out of how I feel about my performance. :flowerforyou:

Your performance was amazing! What an incredible group of girls! I SO want to do one of these and I REALLY appreciate your posting! I think it was the final kick in the butt that if you can do it with a back injury, I can too! I def agree with the girl who mentioned nice knowing the elliptical won't help because that is my go to machine as well. I HATE running but I am so interested in it - which is kinda funny, so I am gonna jog/run or do SOMEthing of the sorts this afternoon. You really have inspired me so thank you for posting! Can't wait to get dirty and post my own pics!
  • juliemouse83
    Options

^^^^^^this is exactly what I was going to say! Well, except for the pig part......:laugh:

Great work lady! I'm so proud of you and you are most definitely not a failure! :bigsmile: :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Oh, crap! There were NO pigs! (Thank you higher power!!!!) Nothing greased at all! *whew*
  • juliemouse83
    Options

Your performance was amazing! What an incredible group of girls! I SO want to do one of these and I REALLY appreciate your posting! I think it was the final kick in the butt that if you can do it with a back injury, I can too! I def agree with the girl who mentioned nice knowing the elliptical won't help because that is my go to machine as well. I HATE running but I am so interested in it - which is kinda funny, so I am gonna jog/run or do SOMEthing of the sorts this afternoon. You really have inspired me so thank you for posting! Can't wait to get dirty and post my own pics!

^^THIS^^ was awesome to read!

I honestly thought that cardio was cardio, until yesterday. But it’s a good lesson learned. :bigsmile: And it won’t be repeated! :wink:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Girl - you did AWESOME!

This is a fantastic post - thank you!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post.

Congratulations on finishing!! I bet it would have been so easy to throw in the towel, but you DIDN'T! You pushed through!!

I've spotted an event similar to this one, in June, and as much as I would LOVE to do it, I'm not ready. I can't run very well yet, and my strength isn't there yet. I was going to say "ah screw it, I'm sure I'm ready" .. but I really don't want the race to defeat me! Next year, I'll be ready!!

Thanks, and amazing job!!
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    ^5's for you and your Team....Totally Awesome on your weight loss, dedication, motivation & hard work staying with it till the Finish!! You are an Amazing Woman don't ever forget that! Kudo's to the other women as you went together hand in hand across the Finish Line :flowerforyou: :happy: Thanks for posting a Great Thread and the pics :smile:
  • BigAndTallSection
    BigAndTallSection Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't care how you slice it, that sure does look like a lot of fun. I am in no way shape or form able to do a 5K but when Project Mud comes to town I just might play along so that I can get dirty.
  • Linkdapink
    Linkdapink Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Wow, congrats on finishing it!

I decided to look up some mud runs in the UK, and found a few near me. Unfortunatly, they're getting a bit pricey now they're getting closer to them so me and OH have decided to do a few 5K's this year, then work up to mud runs next year!

Great motivation! Thanks!
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing! Kudos to u for doing it and finishing it! I love your determination! Good luck to u in your next race!! :flowerforyou:
  • sss1966
    sss1966 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's easy for anyone to run without doing running training. I find it harder after only just a week sometimes. You did an awesome job though, well done x
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!