Seafood Diet and Green Coffee Bean Extract

Hi all,
I've recently started a mostly seafood diet and started taking the Green Coffee Bean extract pills. Has anyone does any of these things and found any results?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    The only thing the green coffee pills will make lighter is your bank account. A sensible diet with exercise and a calorie deficit us how to lose weight. There is no magic pill.
  • LifeJacketWaterJogger
    LifeJacketWaterJogger Posts: 231 Member
    Yep, calorie deficit and clean eating, and exercise will get you there, there is no quick fix.
  • iwillbetinytea
    iwillbetinytea Posts: 264 Member
    I've never heard of green coffee extract - what is it supposed to do?

Seafood is very low in fat, high protein - although I heard it has high cholesterol levels? Watch that :)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Why not just eat foods you like in smaller amounts that fit a reasonable calorie deficit? Green Coffee Bean Extract is a waste of money.
  • usmcmp

Seafood is very low in fat, high protein - although I heard it has high cholesterol levels? Watch that :)

Green coffee bean does nothing. The great quack Dr. Oz suggests it and people went crazy with no evidence it does anything.

Cholesterol in foods isn't bad. Fats aren't bad. Eating a low fat diet is not necessary for weight loss because your body actually needs good fats.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Hi all,
    I've recently started a mostly seafood diet and started taking the Green Coffee Bean extract pills. Has anyone does any of these things and found any results?

What types of seafood are you eating? Are you also eating vegetables? What led you to these diet choices?
  • iwillbetinytea

Green coffee bean does nothing. The great quack Dr. Oz suggests it and people went crazy with no evidence it does anything.

Cholesterol in foods isn't bad. Fats aren't bad. Eating a low fat diet is not necessary for weight loss because your body actually needs good fats.

High cholesterol is a factor in heart disease is it not? Hardly say that is not bad.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member

High cholesterol is a factor in heart disease is it not? Hardly say that is not bad.

The link between blood cholesterol and dietary cholesterol is limited.
  • usmcmp

More recent studies have shown that the cholesterol in foods has little to no impact on your blood cholesterol numbers. What are your different numbers? It's not so much about just having high cholesterol any more. What is your HDL, LDL, and Tri numbers? What is your ratio? The biggest thing to do? Be a healthy weight and exercise. People with 'low' cholesterol die from heart disease just like people with high cholesterol do.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/203288.php

You joined this sit this month. I'm thinking you have a lot to learn about nutrition still.
  • Watch the green coffee bean extract. I've had friends who took it and wound up gaining weight in the end.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,916 Member
    Hi all,
    Yep......................money loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • iwillbetinytea

More recent studies have shown that the cholesterol in foods has little to no impact on your blood cholesterol numbers. What are your different numbers? It's not so much about just having high cholesterol any more. What is your HDL, LDL, and Tri numbers? What is your ratio? The biggest thing to do? Be a healthy weight and exercise. People with 'low' cholesterol die from heart disease just like people with high cholesterol do.

You joined this sit this month. I'm thinking you have a lot to learn about nutrition still.

That link is from 2010. The references stated are the International Dairy Federation and AlphaGalieo who are distributors of research. By the looks of it, it is a bias piece of research to promote dairy. You still have a lot to learn about your sources.
  • usmcmp

That link is from 2010. The references stated are the International Dairy Federation and AlphaGalieo who are distributors of research. By the looks of it, it is a bias piece of research to promote dairy. You still have a lot to learn about your sources.

Here you go

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22037012
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16340654
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16596800

ETA: You can find almost anything to support any style of eating. Cholesterol is good, cholesterol is bad, carbs are bad, carbs are good, sugar is bad, sugar is good. The most important thing is to learn what is and isn't effective for YOU. Part of this process is frequent testing by a doctor if your family is at risk for high cholesterol. I eat lots of cholesterol, my family is at high risk, but due to my lifestyle my cholesterol levels are excellent. Don't demonize something when it isn't true for everyone. Yes, dietary cholesterol may cause problems in someone who already has high cholesterol, but they should know their levels and know what foods to avoid.
  • iwillbetinytea

Here you go

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22037012
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16340654
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16596800

These are all about eggs? The big debate on whether eggs have an impact on cholesterol levels?
  • usmcmp
    These are all about eggs? The big debate on whether eggs have an impact on cholesterol levels?

That was covered in the links.

You can find almost anything to support any style of eating. Cholesterol is good, cholesterol is bad, carbs are bad, carbs are good, sugar is bad, sugar is good. The most important thing is to learn what is and isn't effective for YOU. Part of this process is frequent testing by a doctor if your family is at risk for high cholesterol. I eat lots of cholesterol, my family is at high risk, but due to my lifestyle my cholesterol levels are excellent. Don't demonize something when it isn't true for everyone. Yes, dietary cholesterol may cause problems in someone who already has high cholesterol, but they should know their levels and know what foods to avoid.
  • Thanks for the tips guys. Luckily I did not spend that much on the coffee beans but I only tried it because a coworker recommended it to me and she lost about 6lbs on it, might have been some other factor but yeah :)
  • iwillbetinytea

"Taken together these studies suggest that the association between dietary cholesterol and CHD is small, as most subjects can effectively adapt to higher levels of cholesterol intake. Nevertheless, lowering dietary cholesterol content might reduce the risk of CHD considerably in a subgroup of individuals who are highly responsive to changes in cholesterol intake."
  • iwillbetinytea

You can find almost anything to support any style of eating. Cholesterol is good, cholesterol is bad, carbs are bad, carbs are good, sugar is bad, sugar is good. The most important thing is to learn what is and isn't effective for YOU. Part of this process is frequent testing by a doctor if your family is at risk for high cholesterol. I eat lots of cholesterol, my family is at high risk, but due to my lifestyle my cholesterol levels are excellent. Don't demonize something when it isn't true for everyone. Yes, dietary cholesterol may cause problems in someone who already has high cholesterol, but they should know their levels and know what foods to avoid.

Yes exactly, so don't say cholesterol is not bad when we are not sure of her levels or whether she is in the group of people who is unaffected :)

I'd say to play it safe, generally watch the amount of cholesterol in your diet.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member

Yes exactly, so don't say cholesterol is not bad when we are not sure of her levels or whether she is in the group of people who is unaffected :)

I'd say to play it safe, generally watch the amount of cholesterol in your diet.
    Your body makes more cholesterol than you eat. The US is one of the last western countries to still have a daily limit imposed.
    High cholesterol has mostly a genetic component.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    I would like to concur with the information below. I am earning a Master's in Epidemiology and we are often exposed to the various types of research at the university. It is difficult to shake previous notions of what constitutes a healthy diet or one that promotes good cardiovascular health. However, the research I have seen from the Nutrition Obesity Research Center at my school is def in agreement with the article posted.