A suitable diet urgently needed

Options
I am 20, around 200lbs and exactly 6ft, I have a medium build and go gym 3 times a week (mostly weight training rather than cardio).

I currently eat:

Porridge in the morning with water

Fruit, salad and nuts for lunch

Slimfast or chicken for dinner.

However with this diet I am constantly at around 1200 calories and have been for 2 weeks. Reading about alot of people say this is really bad and MFP suggest 1870 calories to loose 2lbs a week (I cant see how 2800 calories is my "maintain" weight level as I have never eaten that many calories in my life! which begs the question why I am this weight).

Should I up my intake? if so what things can I eat and when should I eat them?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am 20, around 200lbs and exactly 6ft, I have a medium build and go gym 3 times a week (mostly weight training rather than cardio).

I currently eat:

Porridge in the morning with water

Fruit, salad and nuts for lunch

Slimfast or chicken for dinner.

However with this diet I am constantly at around 1200 calories and have been for 2 weeks. Reading about alot of people say this is really bad and MFP suggest 1870 calories to loose 2lbs a week (I cant see how 2800 calories is my "maintain" weight level as I have never eaten that many calories in my life! which begs the question why I am this weight).

Should I up my intake? if so what things can I eat and when should I eat them?

6' 200lb male and 12oo cals? You could stand to eat a lot more

Eat foods you like and get in adequate protein and fats
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Trying to ask this the nicest way possible but why did you even join this site if you're not following its recommendations? You're totally starving yourself with this diet, which probably severely lacks protein as well.
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I joined because I am very very keen to loose weight and at the moment I am panicking about everything. For example I panick if I go over my daily sugar or my daily protein. I really want to meet my goals and there are sooo many different views and opinions out there that I dont what to do.

Some say eat fruit for loosing weight, some say dont. Some say not training hard enough and eating alot of protein will make you fat. some say a 3 day water only diet is good for you, some say less then 1500 calories is bad, some same 1200 calories is fine.

I have only been on this site for around 2 weeks and I am searching for the right way to go and by no means have found it yet.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I joined because I am very very keen to loose weight and at the moment I am panicking about everything. For example I panick if I go over my daily sugar or my daily protein. I really want to meet my goals and there are sooo many different views and opinions out there that I dont what to do.

Some say eat fruit for loosing weight, some say dont. Some say not training hard enough and eating alot of protein will make you fat. some say a 3 day water only diet is good for you, some say less then 1500 calories is bad, some same 1200 calories is fine.

I have only been on this site for around 2 weeks and I am searching for the right way to go and by no means have found it yet.

Take a step back, breathe.

MFP is tried and tested, be honest with your stats and activity level then follow the guidelines it gives you. Being a bit over or under here or there wont hurt, log your exercise and eat back the calories. Try not to over think it, there are some radical ideas banded about in here sometimes they work and sometimes they don't but following MFP WILL work.

Good luck!