running shoes?

Options
I'm getting ready for my first 5k, what are your favorite running shoes for women? I've been through so many pairs of running shoes, and can't find the perfect one!

Replies

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Minimalist here - vibrams all the way. : )
  • kgalea
    kgalea Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Brooks, then Saucony then Asics
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Brooks.

Have you been to a good shop, and been properly fitted? Might be cheaper, long term, than working through lots of failed pairs?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Get to a running store, and have them analyse your gait - it's the best way to get good recommendations, as everyone moves differently. What's the best shoe for me, might be the absolute worst shoe for you.
  • jdp9130
    jdp9130 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Get to a running store, and have them analyse your gait - it's the best way to get good recommendations, as everyone moves differently. What's the best shoe for me, might be the absolute worst shoe for you.
    This for sure. We just bought my wife a new pair at the local running store and they spent all the time we needed to get the right shoes for her, Saucony for her and me too.
  • moodyshannon15
    moodyshannon15 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Brooks..for walking and running
  • nexangelus
    Options
    Yes, we all know the running shop/store story, I was gait measured and plonked in the most stupid stability shoes for overpronation (used to wear new balance and saucony). I suffered shin splints, achilles tendonitis, all sorts of injuries on and off for many years. Also had to have sports massage to straighten out the horrible aches and pains in my calves. I then tried to run with no stability, strengthen my feet, ankles and calves by running "barefoot". I have had no injuries this whole year of running this way. I also run faster and longer too : )

So....you need to experiment a little and don't necessarily take what the running shops/stores to heart or as truth. Running free of injury is what made the decision for me. I know this is probably a costly way to do things...

Just my story, there may be many who are happy/injury free with their running shop recommended footwear ; )
  • MsBobLoblaw
    MsBobLoblaw Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I took up running when rehabbing from ACL surgery. My PT, along with the local running store Fleet Feet, recommended Asics Gel-Nimbus because of the cushioning, as well as it fit whatever my foot type/running style was (I can't remember). I've gone through several pair now, and I love them.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Brooks for running, Asics for walkabout shoes.

Prior to hurting my foot, I was fine running in Asics. But my injury made shoes with more aggressive support necessary.
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm a Pearl Izumi fan all the way. But recently got Mizuno Wave Rider 16s. So far, not bad :-)
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Yes, we all know the running shop/store story, I was gait measured and plonked in the most stupid stability shoes for overpronation (used to wear new balance and saucony). I suffered shin splints, achilles tendonitis, all sorts of injuries on and off for many years. Also had to have sports massage to straighten out the horrible aches and pains in my calves. I then tried to run with no stability, strengthen my feet, ankles and calves by running "barefoot". I have had no injuries this whole year of running this way. I also run faster and longer too : )

So....you need to experiment a little and don't necessarily take what the running shops/stores to heart or as truth. Running free of injury is what made the decision for me. I know this is probably a costly way to do things...

Just my story, there may be many who are happy/injury free with their running shop recommended footwear ; )

FYI, another MFPer turned me onto Roadrunner Sports (.com). 10% off list, free shipping and *90* days to try and return. I was sold :-).
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    New Balance. I'm flat footed and need the support.
  • dcander2
    dcander2 Posts: 19
    Options
    I used to buy Nikes but now I LOVE my Asics and buy a new pair every year. But don't get the cheaper ones, it's the ones closer to $100 with the thick gel in the heel that are great. I also have been itching for the new balance minimus shoes but haven't quite gotten myself to buy them because I'm nervous of switching to a more barefoot type shoe.

Just make sure to break them in before your 5k! :)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

This^
    I went for gait analysis as I get shin splints - the ones the girl sold me have made it ten times worse - my £11 jjb ones weren't half as bad :S
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    The poster did say a *good* running shop. I've never been 'plonked' in anything at the shop I go to. I try several shoes, on the mill, and they have a fair returns policy.

And more importantly, Shin splints are far more likely caused by overuse, than by bad shoes....
  • nexangelus
    Options
    The poster did say a *good* running shop. I've never been 'plonked' in anything at the shop I go to. I try several shoes, on the mill, and they have a fair returns policy.

And more importantly, Shin splints are far more likely caused by overuse, than by bad shoes....

I went to the best running shop in my city. And I have never overused my shoes or my legs...the injuries were caused by the good stability shoes recommended by the best running shop in my city after having gait measured by running on a treadmill. I could not return the shoes as fair use was well done by the time I had recurring shin splints. Heel strike running is not suited to my legs or body as I found out and with stability shoes there is no way you can run on your forefoot...

I said this was my story...not everyone does well in even the best shoe shop recommendations... ; )
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Minimalist here - vibrams all the way. : )

Absolutely, love my Vibrams!

I used to get really bad knee and hip pain when I ran and after I switched to my Vibrams the pain disappeared and my running times improved. Win/Win!
  • Sieden76
    Sieden76 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Asics Kanao
  • casuzyq
    casuzyq Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Definately recommend a GOOD running store such as Fleet Feet. They will analyze your gait, etc., but as pointed out they don't always get it right. A GOOD running store will typically allow you to exchange the shoes within a certain of days. I used to wear support shoes, but now with custom orthotics I need a neutral shoe. The Mizunos felt great in the store, but on the road, not so much. Was able to exchange for another shoe that is working great. The proper shoe will depend upon your biomechanics. Once you find the right shoe, then buying on line is a breeze.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Brooks PURE minimalists. Love them as does my wife.