Salad Dressing

Options
SKMC0214
SKMC0214 Posts: 58 Member
I am looking for Low Calorie and Low Sodium Salad dressing ideas. I have done a search and came up with some, but does anyone have any additional ideas they want to share? Thanks in advances and best of luck on your journey!!!

Replies

• Misty2024
    Misty2024 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I use
    One tablespoon olive oil ( I use MCT oil )
    One tablespoon vinegar ( white)
    One tablespoon Dijon mustard
    One tablespoon lemon juice
    One large crushed clove of garlic
    One table spoon water
    Pepper to tast (optional)
    Mix together

This is so low calorie and yummy
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    And home made instead of that crap that cost so much money in the stores. I never understood why people buy it, hell I bought it until I educated myself about the dangers of store bought salad dressing.
  • Chassity1987
    Options
    bumping to see replies
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Olive oil, fresh lemon juice, Mrs. Dash, little black pepper and wine vinegar - keep in fridge use within the week.
  • airen123
    airen123 Posts: 149
    Options
    I drizzle olive oil, sprinkle on oregano, red pepper flakes, and garlic salt. Mmm.
  • SKMC0214
    Options
    Thanks so much for the supplies so far. I agree, I totally freaked once I started reading labels on the store bought. It is insane. I have resorted lately to a few that do not seem too horrible. I was using a homemade with 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar, two tables spoons extra virgin olive oil, water and a packet of Good Seasonings Italian mix, it is very tasty and low in calorie, however the sodium was off the chart. I have issues with my feet and ankles swelling, so I am trying to watch my sodium intake.
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I use Walden Farms Sesame Ginger. No calories.
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt mixed with herbs, grated garlic, and pepper is pretty good. Or just add salsa. It looks gross, but it tastes great. That's all that matters, right? Lol

Looking forward to seeing other ideas :)
  • Ripley1017
    Options
    I just use plain balsamic vinegar. It's really good if you put parmesan cheese or blue cheese on the salad.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    And home made instead of that crap that cost so much money in the stores. I never understood why people buy it, hell I bought it until I educated myself about the dangers of store bought salad dressing.

Really? Dangers? I didn't know that but I stopped buying it a few years ago when I notice that, no matter how long you keep a bottle, it never goes bad. That's not normal!
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I really like the Kraft Low Fat Catalina Dressing
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt mixed with herbs, grated garlic, and pepper is pretty good. Or just add salsa. It looks gross, but it tastes great. That's all that matters, right? Lol

Looking forward to seeing other ideas :)

yum, sounds good ~ gonna try it tommorrow! Thanks for sharing :)
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Apple cider vinegar with a squirt of mustard and a dash of pepper.
  • Mom4Liz
    Mom4Liz Posts: 55
    Options
    Make your own. It's cheap and easy and you know exactly what's in there.

Vinaigrette is basically 3 parts oil to one part viniger. You can add a little Dijon to keep it from separating.

Then have fun with it by adding whatever herbs you have or add finely chopped garlic, shallots, peppers or what ever you want.

Instead of vinegar you can add lemon, orange or lime juice.

Vinegar come in dozens of flavours. Cider vinegar, chianti vinegar, balsamic, white balsamic, red wine, rice wine and many more.

You can use different kinds of oils too.

Or infuse an oil to use in dressing later. Chop herbs or peppers or garlic and heat the oil with the ingredient you want to infuse. Don't boil it. Set it aside and let it sit for a few hours. Strain and now you have a nice flavoured oil.

If you want a creamy dressing use yogurt and add chopped herbs, garlic, lemon zest or whatever you want.

Basically pick a theme for your salad and customize your dressing around the theme. Like if I have a salad I want to serve with duck I know orange goes well with duck so I will use orange juice in my salad and top the salad with orange slices. Or I know lamb goes well with mint so mint goes in the dressing and I top with feta. Balsamic with beef is great and goats cheese on top. Apples go with pork so cider vinegar goes well in the dressing. Top with chopped apples and walnuts. Lime juice in a dressing for salad with avocados.

Just think of the classic combinations and you will never go wrong.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    equal parts extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard and a pinch of any sweetener of your choice (sugar, brown sugar, splenda, honey, etc).

i got the idea of adding the dijon on MFP and i totally love the flavor.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Are you okay with dry packets? I make a lighter Ranch dressing mixing a packet of mix with 1.5 cups 1% milk and one cup of light mayonaise. It comes out to 40 calories per two tablespoons.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
  • barbd70
    barbd70 Posts: 35
    Options
    love all the ideas....thanks
  • SKMC0214
    Options
    You all totally ROCK!!! Thanks so much for all the awesome ideas, I cannot wait to try them all. Especially the Dijon mustard idea, I find when I try to cut back on some of the oil with more water it does not stick to the salad and all ends up at the bottom of the bowl. I think this will be just the thing to thicken it up. Thanks again and wishing you all GREAT success!!!
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I found some nice lowfat ranch recipes on Cooking Light and All recipies websites. You can always substitute the FF or LF versions of ingredients!