NSV - running

ukgirly01
ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
I started losing weight at the same time I decided to learn to run. I started an interval running program and that 1st week of running 1 minute and walking 2 felt like hell. I did complete my 5k and then a 10k but then I got injured (IT band).

The last 5k I did I finished in 32 minutes back in September. I haven't run at all since then but I have been working with a strength and conditioning trainer and lifting pretty heavy, with the intention of being more stable and thus lowering my risk of injury.

I started running again this week, no injuries no niggles and I'm very pleased but what has really suprised me is just how much faster I am. Today I knocked 6 minutes off my 5K time and came in dead on 26 minutes.
I can't belive what an effect strength training has had on my ability to run. I'd recommend it for anyone doing C2 5K plus it makes me feel great!!

Replies

• amandaj1966
    amandaj1966 Posts: 342 Member
    5k in 26 minutes is a great time, well done. You must be so pleased to be back running.
    I am on my 2nd week of C25K, I never thought it would be so difficult to run for 60 seconds but this morning I managed 90 seconds, Rome wasn't built in a day. ;-)
    I can't wait to run my first 5k.
  • ukgirly01
    You'll get there, I can honestly say my 26 mins this morn was easier than my 1 min in the 1st week, It gets easier. Good luck.
  • cnewlin86
    cnewlin86 Posts: 87
    Nice work not only on the running but the weight loss! What a great inspiration to keeping going despite injuries! I'm glad you didn't quit!
  • dncyng
    dncyng Posts: 53 Member
    can you explain more about how lifting weights helps your running? do you lift with your legs, using a machine at the gym or ??? I'm little confused.

I am going to start my first couch to 5k starting in may. still working on the eating healthier this month.

I want to keep my work outs mixed up. I don't want to get bored, and with the weather getting warmer, I want to get outside.

Congratulations on being a runner!!!! 5k in 26 minutes seems impossible. Go you superhero you!!!!
  • ukgirly01
    My coach did an analysis and provided me with a program which gets changed every 4/6 weeks but its basically a fair bit of core work - planks/ roll outs etc, leg work inc squats/ lunges, Romanian dead lifts. Also whole body exercises inc clean and jerks. Basically I now have a lot more forward motion due to better core stability. And glutes are loads stronger to provide better power. If its a possibility I'd invest in seeing a strength and conditioning coach uksca accredited if in uk or NAsca if you're in the US. If that's not an option defo try planks/ front squats.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    I started losing weight at the same time I decided to learn to run. I started an interval running program and that 1st week of running 1 minute and walking 2 felt like hell. I did complete my 5k and then a 10k but then I got injured (IT band).

The last 5k I did I finished in 32 minutes back in September. I haven't run at all since then but I have been working with a strength and conditioning trainer and lifting pretty heavy, with the intention of being more stable and thus lowering my risk of injury.

I started running again this week, no injuries no niggles and I'm very pleased but what has really suprised me is just how much faster I am. Today I knocked 6 minutes off my 5K time and came in dead on 26 minutes.
    I can't belive what an effect strength training has had on my ability to run. I'd recommend it for anyone doing C2 5K plus it makes me feel great!!

Great work!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!