Tough times, call for tough actions, but....

Options
STARTED WORK AGAIN, BEEN CHEATING AND REALLY HARD GETTING ONLINE IN THE TRUCK RUNNING WHERE I DO, ND/SD, MINNESOTA, WI AND SUCH, TERRIBLE WI-FI AND DATA PLANS FOR LAPTOPS.

IHAVE HAD MORE BISCUITS AND GRAVY IN THE LAST 2 WEEKS THAN ALL FALL/WINTER AND SPRING PUT TOGETHER.

SAD TOO, AS I PUT LOTS OF TIME Into TRYING TO LOSE AND NOT BEING ABLE TO DROP THE WEIGHT THAT FAST, IT'S FRUSTRATING, STILL TOO BIG TO FIT INTO BOOTHS AT SOME TRUCKSTOPS, PUTTING MY SOCKS ON, AND SUCH, THINGS NORMAL PEOPLE TAKE FOR GRANTED, I CAN NOT EASILY DO YET....TRIED SO HARD TO BE ABLE TO AGAIN AND NOW ...BACK IN THE TRUCK AND BACK TO THE OLD WAYS THAT GOT ME HERE, WHY WHY WHY????

HOW COME I CAN NOT GET IT TOGETHER WHEN I AM IN THIS TRUCK, AM I POSSESSED WITH A TRUCK DEMON, NOT LIKELY, BUT WHY THEN, STUPIDITY, WELL YEAH MORE LIKELY, I DO NOW BETTER, AND STILL DO IT, THAT IS STUPID, NO?

I FEEL BAD BUT STILL EAT THINGS I SHOULD NOT, BUT I AM ALONE OUT HERE, AND HAVE NO REAL HOME OR FAMILY, SO MAYBE THIS IS MY WAY OF GIVING UP, AND THIS IS NOT WHAT I WANT TO DO, IT IS NOT, TRUST ME...I WANT A REAL LIFE AND SOMEONE TO SHARE IT WITH, BUT WHO IS WANTING A 400-500LB STINKY OLD TRUCK DRIVER ???

sORRY FOR THIS RANT, I FEEL BETTER AND NO WORRIES, EVENTUALLY I WILL GET BACK ON TRACK I HOPE, THING IS I AM TRUCKDRIVER AND KNOW NO OTHER THING TO DO FOR A LIVING. I WOULD LOVE TO FIND ANOTHER JOB, SOMETHING TO GIVE ME TIME TO WORKOUT AND HAVE A REAL LIFE OFF THE ROAD AND THE TRUCKSTOP FOODS.( THIS IS EXCUSES, AND WE ALL KNOW IT).

LET ME JUST ASK YOU ALL WHO READ THIS TO SAY A PRAYER FOR ME, PRAYER WORKS AND MAYBE ENOUGH WILL JOLT ME SOMEHOW TO WAKE UP AND DO THE RIGHT THINGS, THINGS I KNOW HOW TO DO, EAT RIGHT AND WALK, EXCERSISE A LITTLE BIT, AND BE MORE HAPPY...AS I AM THANKFUL EACH DAY I WAKE UP, I REALLY AM, BUT BY THE END OF THE DAY NOT SO MUCH, ( NOT ALWAYS, BUT MOSTLY), THIS I NEED TO CHANGE TOO.

PS: I THINK i WILL POST THIS MESSAGE IN THE FORUMS, AND SEE HOW IT MIGHT HELP OTHERS, TO NOT GIVE UP, NOT EVER, NO MATTER HOW BAD OR HARD IT IS.

PATRICK

DOWN FORM 505 TO 410, BUT MAY BE GOING UP AGAIN, IT SURE FEELS LIKE IT, PLEASE PRAY FOR ME TO SNAP OUT OF IT, PLEASE

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    You need to log and post e dry day. We will support you if you let us.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It IS possible to get healthy (well healthier) food at truck stops. Try a banana and a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast and drink your coffee black or stick to water. Get a double serving of whatever vegetable they offer, order broiled chicken (no breading) instead of chicken fried steak and stay away from the gravy and heavy sauces. Eggs are generally a good choice if the only sides you have with them are a healthy vegetable and a square or two of toast. Soup, while generally high in sodium isn't a bad option if you stay away from the "creamed" varieties Order a plain baked potato instead of fries and eat it with as little high fat "garnishment" as possible (sour cream and butter in particular - parsley, chives, onions or salsa would be better choices). Try air popped popcorn for driving snacks instead of high fat chips.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Why are you yelling at us?
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Why are you yelling at us?
    OP said to his friends that his Cap lock button sticks.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    His laptop is broken. Cap lock is stuck on.

You can do this. Walk & the truck stops. Listen to motivational CD's, Christian Radionwhatever helps.

Pack a cooler with healthy food & water.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!

How about packing a cooler? Even if it doesn't last the entire trip (how long are you on the road for before being "home" again?), you can pack cheese/yogurts/veggies/jerky/whatever for a few dsays. Nuts, fruits, etc can be packed without ice packs for easy snacking. You don't have to rely on truck stop foods to fuel your day.

Good luck, you can do this!
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who has successfully lost over 100 pounds while driving some insane routes, like yours. He carries some food items with him as much as possible, but takes advantage of Subways and McDonald's along the way (McD's does have oatmeal and few other healthy options.)

Another thing he does is use the perimeter of the parking lots as a jogging track, although that might be easier said than done in ND.

Look for positive choices. They are there. It is so easy to get frustrated and off-track when someone else (dispatcher) manages your time for you.
  • tabbie268
    Options
    Tabby2 here I will be praying for you I know that it is hard but you can go it when you have the earge to eat bad just pray and God will help you thorught it all. Just keep thinking I can do this and you will.:wink:
  • Aleta7
    Aleta7 Posts: 92
    Options
    I have a little saying that I repeat to myself when I feel overwhelmed by anything. "Inch by Inch life's a cinch, yard by yard it's very hard." Try to take it inch by inch. Instead of truck stops to eat; how about fruit and veggie stands. Pick up a bunch of them and keep them in the truck for snacks. I'm not sure but I think they have apps for the phone that would log your food until you get to wifi ?
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I'm not a trucker, but I did manage to lose weight while on the road and living out of a suitcase for nearly a month. Let Fitness pal set your target calories for you, and plan ahead for the day. Eat a nutritious breakfast with carbs and protein if possible. I'm thinking of cereal and eggs, not three eggs, bacon and waffles with lakes of syrup. Plan healthy snacks at regular intervals while you drive so that you aren't starving when you hit your lunch and dinner stops. Fast food places are starting to post calories on the web, so you can plan what to get if you stop at one of them for a meal. We keep breakfast bars in our car for the times when we need something and a restaurant stop is a long way off. They don't get stale. Apples are convenient, too. Log every bite, even if you've cheated by eating something you shouldn't. Try to find some cardio exercise you can do to off-load part of the stress. Again, I'm not speaking from experience, but I expect truck driving can be stressful. Good luck. One last suggestion. In web etiquette, ALL CAPS ARE CONSIDERED SHOUTING. Try to do all lower case if you can't manage to capitalize the beginnings of sentences. You can find good, supportive friends here. Good luck.:smile:

I'll put you in my prayers.
  • Sofitin2013
    Options
    The important thing is that you are aware of your situation and that you truly desire to be healthy and to make positive changes. I will definitely pray for you - but you need to realize that you are worth it! You have already done so well and have shown that you are ble to buckle down and lose the pounds! Keep at it!!! I was on a two year eating bender before I got here and it was out of control. I feel much better now logging my food etc. feel free to add me as a friend and I can be one of your cheerleaders!! You can do it!!!!
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I second what allshebe said. Plus, can you check menus of truck stops in advance, to help you plan ahead?
    Do your stops give you time for a 10minute walk? That'll burn a few calories and help you feel a bit more in control.
    Also, since you spend most of your time in the truck, how about keeping things in there that will motivate you? E.g. weight progress chart so that every time you come to a rest stop you can see how far you've come.
    Good luck!
  • BIRDIEBL8
    BIRDIEBL8 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My father was a truck driver for 35+ years & had gained weight until he finally had enough! Started with small steps like others mentioned. He packed a cooled with fruit, cold cuts & cheese. You can start with small changes & work on eating habits over all. If you have biscuits & gravy, it isn't the end of the world just make healthier choices for the other meals. It's a lifestyle change & won't happen over night. You can do it!!!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    You have come a long way so far. Do not give up. There is a lot of good advice here. Pack a cooler with healthy snacks, raw veggies, fresh fruit, raw nuts. Make the healthier choices at fast food stops. Salads, grilled chicken. When you have to stop, take a walk around the truck stop or rest stop area. I live in Minnesota, so I know the weather has not been cooperating this winter. I still got outside and did 3-1/2 mile walk in the pelting snow and strong wind, this morning.I am 61 years old, and if I can do it, anyone can. People do care, so don't give up, you are worth it, so do it for yourself! A lot of us will be cheering you on.
  • johned63
    johned63 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    congratulations on losing 95 pounds! Keep positive, take walks around the truck stops when you stop and as others have said look for oatmeal on the menus or pack a cooler with some healthy foods while you are on the road.

Feel fee to add me if you like, I am the same age as you and from a similar part of the country (MT just down the road a bit).

You can do this!
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I am re-posting this here to make sure you see it!!!

First of all, having been a trucker, I know how hard it can be. Now, PUT DOWN THE BISCUITS AND GRAVY!
    When you get a chance, hit up a Walmart and grab some summer sausage and a small knife, it makes a great snack on whole grain crackers and doesn't need to be kept cold. When you stop for the night/day, park in the back no matter how tired you are and walk. Some movement is better than none, especially when you're behind the wheel all day. You can also get canned tuna in a pop top can and individual packages of salmon for .98 at Walmart. Always carry water in your truck, a case is less than $3. at Walmart, I used to carry 4 cases. Now, drink a bottle of water while you're walking in to eat, that way you're not super hungry and can make better choices. And when you stop to fuel, go in and grab an apple or banana. I'm sure you have a cell phone so if it's not a smart phone, upgrade! MFP has a free app. so no more excuses for not logging!
    I will be completely honest with you, sorry if I say something that may hurt your feelings. You are an attractive man underneath all that weight, and I'll bet you have an amazing personality too! People are generally shallow and won't take time to 'look past the fat' to get to know the real person. I have been victim of this for many years, SCREW THEM! Walking is a great place to start, just make sure you're doing it for YOU, not for anyone else. This is totally achievable, you need to change your 'stinking thinking' and start believing that you are worth it and YOU CAN DO THIS!
    Much love brother trucker! Be safe and let's get this done!
  • Mountainbiker2015
    Mountainbiker2015 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on your 95 pound weight loss. That is truly awesome! Keep on logging in when you can on the and definitely log your food intake. I know I have gone up and down here and there and the one thing that wakes me up is seeing my calorie intake during the day. It motivates me to do better. I have no idea what it is like to be on the road and trying to eat healthy and I think I would have a hard time of it. You do know how to do this though, as you said. I am glad you came here and posted. We are here for you. Never give up!:wink:

Karen
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Do you have to shout, it is really necessary to use all caps?
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    It is not easy to stay fit and eat right on the road. Unless you have been through it you haven't a clue. It is even HARDER when you are by yourself. I feel your pain. My old man recently went back on the road but I opted to stay home this go. I am on my journey alone. The fact you are aware of the issues is great. But not having the tools to accomodate you in your journey is a kick in the teeth. Lets figure out how to change it so it can work for you. You keep a log book right? Or are you on E-logs? Keep a daily food log on paper. Write down everything you would it you were typing it in on FP. Make sure you have the right RDI and TDEE set for your weight loss journey.If you dont know abut it ask many helped me to figure it out.

Once you have the correct settings you can do the same thing in your paper diary as you would on here. Logging is the key to weight loss. I know it will be harder for you because alot of ppl can log in everyday and have the daily support of other members. You are having to adapt a new lifestyle change under conditions that make it more of a struggle for you. Dont lose hope it is possible with will, strength, self control and acknowledgement. If you ever need any ideas or help to get started again I will help you. My heart goes out to you I know exactly what you are going through.
  • johned63
    johned63 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Do you have to shout, it is really necessary to use all caps?

Yep, as noted in several posts the caps lock key on his laptop is broken.