Does anyone record shopping as exercise?

Options

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    For a long shopping expedition where I truly spend a lot of time walking, yes, I log it as walking at a slow pace.
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I log it as walking. If you went on a 3 hour walk at 2.0mph, would you log it then? Just because you were preoccupying yourself, doesn't meant you didn't burn calories.

That being said, if you go on a 3 hour walk at 2.0mph every single day.. I'd say you should change your activity levels instead.

Up to you, OP!
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    If you count your calories, you might consider logging it. What really is the difference between hiking an easy trail with a 10lb pack from shopping with 10lbs of shopping bags in your hands?

I wouldn't count it, because I eat based on my average daily TDEE, but if you go by daily burn, I'd count it.
  • MicroHez
    MicroHez Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    No. I walked 8-10 miles while sightseeing in DC this last week, and I didn't even log that as exercise.
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    If it's not part of your normal routine and was fairly exertive, I would count it. Today I did a house cleanout and plan to count 75% of the total time as exercise.
  • bertburtison
    Options
    Logging a shopping trip as an exercise really is desperation in all honesty. On average if you sat down all day and did nothing you'd use about 1 cal a minute that equates to about 1400cals a day. People generally live a very sedentary lifestyle as it is so suggesting that a three hour walk is over and above what you'd normally do just seems like an excuse for why you didn't actually do some form of positive exercise.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    In my profile I'm Sedentary because of my work, so I would log it as walking because it is not covered by my setup.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I do if it's not something I normally do and if there's quite a bit of walking involved, i.e. a morning spent at the flea market or 4 hours at the mall.
  • janiesue101
    janiesue101 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't count it but I really hate to shop so I'm in and out of stores. After two stores I call it a day.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I do but I would say a quick shop down the supermarket = 5 min walking slow so only accounts to 20kcal etc
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    No. I don't walk fast enough while shopping to make it a good burn. It's just part of my day.
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I used to when I went grocery shopping, I definitely add it... Walking - 2.0 mph, which is actually just a stroll... :smile: to account for the stopping to compare prices, I just take some time off. For example, if I was really out for 90 minutes doing grocery shopping, I'll log for maybe 75 minutes, or 60 minutes, depending on how many times I'd stopped. But like other's have said, do what works for you. If you are one who eats all your exercise calories back and see that you aren't losing like you were before, then, I'd stop... JMHO... GL in your journey!!! :wink:

I use my FitBit now, and it accounts for ALL activity!!! ;-D
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    if youre going for hours without stopping, and wouldnt normally do this, then yes id log it. why the hell not? walking is exercise IMO, id log it as 'leisurely'
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I log it as walking. If you went on a 3 hour walk at 2.0mph, would you log it then? Just because you were preoccupying yourself, doesn't meant you didn't burn calories.

That being said, if you go on a 3 hour walk at 2.0mph every single day.. I'd say you should change your activity levels instead.

Up to you, OP!
    this.
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    basically like most others have posted - it seems like a 50/50 split haha.

so just personally speaking - every other thursday is my grocery shopping day. this happens at Walmart. I spend HOURS in Walmart. I do not sit down. I do not do exercise on the regular - so because this is on average 4 hours of movement (sure I stop on occasion to check labels, compare #'s, etc) I do account for it. It's more than I did the day before, and it's more movement then I'll do the next day....

BUT to account for the lag time (price checks, looking up things on phone, phone calls maybe, etc) - I would do generally half of what I was in the store for. So if I'm in there for a solid 4 hours, I'll usually log 2 hours of strolling a slow 2.0 pace.

Hope the 50/50 replies are helpful :)~
  • carriej82
    carriej82 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I don't, and don't log anything that's not "exercise". As in, if I'm not going to the gym for it, running, etc.

So shopping, definitely not.

this... I only log actual exercise. I figure these things like shopping, cleaning, etc is just a bonus calorie burn.
  • lynn413
    lynn413 Posts: 40
    Options
    If its 2 or more hours of shopping I log it as exercise under walking 2 mph.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I do!
    I created my own in the end used to log it as walking and round down, still use the slowest walking as the measure and often half the time but gave it its own name because walking looks like i did something more important than shopping... I tend to consider something which tires me out, gets up a sweat and makes me not feel up to doing proper exercise as exercise... example - 5 hours of shopping yesterday or an afternoon of chopping logs, makes me go nooo just need a bath and a lie down
    x
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    No I don't consider it exercise but part of my daily activity
  • tonyoconnor129
    tonyoconnor129 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    When my wife and I go shopping I log it. It is exercise outside of what I normally do.

I walk my dogs every day, twice a day. I log it because even though it is within the norm for me, it is still exercise.