type 2 diabetics - can I see your diary?

Options
hookilau
hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
Newly diagnosed, today actually :frown: I'm hungry but don't know what to eat, it would be great if I could see what's in your diary if you are also Type 2.

I'm also having 4-6 hour long gall bladder attacks every time I eat, but that's easy to rememdy right now...no fat :huh: I'm having a bad day :ohwell:

Replies

• Rikki007s
    Rikki007s Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you're having a bad day. Getting this kind of news can be pretty overwhelming, but with exercise and a good diet you really can change your life.

I've had type two for over five years and my blood sugar is very well controlled. You can look at my diary (it's open to everyone). I'll warn you though yesterday I went pretty crazy with the intake (dang PMS cravings) but if you look further back in my diary you'll see that I have a pretty healthy intake. I have logged everything I eat since January 01 this year.

Feel free to friend me if you need support from a fellow MFPer with diabetes.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Thank you :flowerforyou: I'm so hungry but don't know what not to eat, so I thought it would help to see some examples. I went ahead & had some home cooked soup. I just checked my bg for the first time, that was hilarious because there were many false starts with the lancet :blushing: I finally got the guts to do it though. To my disappointment, it was 241 mg/dl:cry:

Thank you for offering, Sending request now :drinker:
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    The best diet for diabetics wishing better glycemic control is a low-carb/high-fat ketogenic diet.

Diabetes is a condition of carbohydrate (specifically glucose) metabolism, therefore reducing glucose is what will give you better control.

Read up on the diet itself here: http://www.dietdoctor.com/LCHF

Read Ron Raab's write-up (he's a Type I diabetic that adopted the diet, and he's a former Vice President of the Intl. Diabetes Federation) ... http://www.dsolve.com/sucess-stories/150-ronraab

Your best bet on a good book is "Diabetes Solution" by Dr. Richard K. Bernstein, also a diabetic.

My own experience: I was diagnosed with fasting BG of 267 and HbA1c of 12.2% ... I was a severe diabetic who was told he'd likely need insulin for life.

I did the research and adopted a LCHF diet, and chose NOT to use insulin.

In three months of diet alone I improved that HbA1c to 7.0%. Three months later, it was 6.0% with diet and exercise, and now after diet, exercise and weight-loss, I've maintained 5.1 to 5.4% for the past 18 months WITHOUT using insulin.

If you friend me you can view my diary. You'll also find GREAT support at www.diabetesforum.com they're quite into low-carb control for diabetes and have tons of support and hundreds of good recipes.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. My profile shows my progress on a low carb/ketogenic diet.