Has anyone had success with swimming?

Options
2»

Replies

• kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    If you really love to swim, look into a masters workout swimming program - often at the Y. Having a coach to push you and help with stroke efficiency can be a tremendous help. There are a wide range out there - some are very competitive teams, but a lot have a wide range from beginner and those looking for fitness only through triathletes.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I've been swimming for about 11/2 years now. I do half and half with breast stroke and freestyle and swim a mile 3x a week. I'm not very fast . It takes me about an hour. I do not have flabby arms because of the swimming. I'm in my 60's with bad knees. Any jogging, squats, zumba kill my knees. This is the only exercise I will consistently do. It took my about 9 months to get to the mile of freestyle. I have changed myworkout about 6 times since. My body tends to get stuck with weight loss unless I change it up. Good luck to you.
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I haven't given swimming enough of a chance. I went once at my gym then felt self concious because everyone there is perfect lol
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Maybe something to consider is that rather than suppress appetite, swimming tends to increase it right after exercise.

This article has some pretty good information:
    http://blog.trainingpeaks.com/posts/2012/6/13/why-swimming-makes-you-want-to-eat-your-young.html

Swimming is a very good way to exercise, and any form of exercise will help create a deficit, just make sure you have a good plan for nutrition on those days and have something healthy ready if you get hungry :)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I lost 170 lbs. in the therapy pool walking laps (used water displacement to be able to stand back then) but I too have very bad knee's and have to use the pool because of this. I swim 2 miles (at the YMCA) 3 days a week and love it... Great Cardio and easier on my knee's.... Best of Luck....