The effect of a 'cheat' day

Options
Right I was wondering:

I've been sticking to about 1400 net cals per day for about two weeks, which has worked fine

However it is incredibly hard to do when out with friends/family which involves bigger meals which i cannot control. I don't want to seem OTT and refuse things; i find that attitude quite rude sometimes.

So i was wondering if for example once a week i went over this limit, to what extent does it hinder the weight loss process? My daily calorie intake, according to calculators, should be about 2100 to maintain my current weight - so on such 'cheat' days if i keep it below that will the extra calories not have a weight-gain effect?

Example: TODAY had about 2000 calories i believe

any answers would be much appreciated! :smile:

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You're still under maintenance, so it's not a huge deal, you just won't lose as much (700 calorie deficit seems a big deficit, that being said).
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I think eating a little more once in awhile is actually a good thing. I had more than I normally would have on Friday, and thought I ruined my week, but still managed 1.7 lbs lost on Sunday. I eat around 2000 calories a day, but get at least 30 minutes of exercise in a day too. I've also heard that if you plateau, then eating more for a few days can jump start you into losing again.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    in my case, i put a strategy to eat a bit more in some days, so i won't call it cheat day.
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Assume you weigh once a week. Figure out your total cals burned/deficit for the week. Adjust for the extra cals you ate on your "cheat" day. Now you'll know (roughly) how much loss was altered by that day.
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    We eat with my mom and dad every Tuesday for dinner and I make that my cheat day every week. It's really more of cheat meal. I don't eat large portions of the food, but my mom cooks a lot of food and I eat some of everything, even desert. I have steadily lost even with my cheat day.
  • noluckducky15
    noluckducky15 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I find that, for my own sanity, I allow myself on cheat MEAL a week, instead of a cheat day. I log the rest of the day and then have whatever I want for that one meal a week. I make sure it's only once a week and i make sure that it doesnt turn into a huge binge. So far, it hasnt affected my weight loss much! And it makes me a much happier person :)
  • MissTati85
    MissTati85 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Can you plan to maybe eat a little less the next day -or- increase your exercise after your bigger meal? While it doesn't always work, I stick to calories in and calories out method of "dieting". While I may eat more one day, if I can fast the next day to help balance calories out that usually helps me to stay on track. It's when I eat over day after day that even a ton of exercise won't work.
  • 21Blondie
    21Blondie Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies

Yes i think it's important to not beat yourself up about it! but i do wonder...

Also in reply to the deficit comment - this is because i do exercise, cardio, pretty much every day... I don't actually feel hungry except in the mornings sometimes so i presume the deficit isn't too extreme
  • mallmonroe
    Options
    I don't think a "cheat day" is going to ruin your diet. The reason why I decided to not have cheat days, or meals, is simply because I feel that if I indulge just a little I always go back for more. Right now I'm on the Paleo diet, and I prefer to consider it a "lifestyle" rather than an actual diet, as psychologically it's much easier.

As long as you have self control (something I don't have, haha), then I think a cheat day is fine.
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    A 2000 calorie day on occasion will not hurt you. It could even be beneficial to keep your metabolism from slowing down.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1500 and 2200 cals net a day. I usually eat 1500 monday to thursday to give me extra wiggle room on the weekends, then eat between 1800 and 2200 on the weekends (sometimes even 2500 or a bit more if it's a special occasion or something). My daily calorie goal is set at 1800 so I just try to keep my weekly cals under my weekly goal.
  • chrisg1962
    Options
    when I want a cheat day, I either have an extra long excercise routine to offset or try to eat a little better for a couple days afterwards.
    I find if you deny your cravings too often you burn out. In for the long haul means one slip once in a while won't make much difference.