Red Meat

is red meat bad? I'm trying to eat healthier but it always seems that we buy LOTS of red meat. Whatever we eat it never fails that it always has some sort of meat in it or on the side. I'm trying really hard in eating better but seems to me that everything we eat at some point it is bad for one reason or another.

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    People with more red meat in their diets are more prone to heart problems.

I'm sure you read last week that a pretty impressive new study showed that red meat changes the composition of your gut bacteria so it produces chemicals that cause heart problems. People who rarely eat red meat don't have the same gut bacteria so don't respond to red meat the same way. From a health perspective, a lot of people were convinced.

From a calorie perspective, I've been eating more meat (not red meat) since on MFP because I eat a lot less rice, bread, potatoes, and cheese because they have a lot of calories. You have to eat SOMETHING.

I eat a pork and chicken and fish a lot. I eat half a burger probably once a week.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Personally I'm vegetarian, so I don't really know how healthy or unhealthy red meat is, but I would say unless you're eating a ridiculous amount of one thing or another then don't worry too much as long as you are within your calorie goal.

For example, you could eat pizza every day of the week and stay within your goal, but it wouldn't be very healthy. If you feel like there is an imbalance in your diet, try to tweak it a bit, otherwise don't stress.

This.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    People with more red meat in their diets are more prone to heart problems.

I'm sure you read last week that a pretty impressive new study showed that red meat changes the composition of your gut bacteria so it produces chemicals that cause heart problems. People who rarely eat red meat don't have the same gut bacteria so don't respond to red meat the same way. From a health perspective, a lot of people were convinced.

From a calorie perspective, I've been eating more meat (not red meat) since on MFP because I eat a lot less rice, bread, potatoes, and cheese because they have a lot of calories. You have to eat SOMETHING.

I eat a pork and chicken and fish a lot. I eat half a burger probably once a week.

Being fat probably causes more heart problems then red meat.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    There's nothing wrong with red meat in fact it's good for you.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    I am vegetarian so I can tell you its quite unhealthy for cows.

As for diet, the way most Americans eat it is processed to Hell and back and they eat far too much of it.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    It's fine.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Meat....eat it....its good. Everything in moderation. have a nice NY strip or Sirloin once a week.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Red meat is good for you, and delicious. I couldn't be without it. Just trim off excess fat and choose a flatiron steak over ribeye, for instance. Marbling is good, clumps of visible fat, trim them off. Choose meat without much "waste". And bone-in always has more flavor then boneless.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    As with virtually everything else in life, moderation is key. A diet that includes read meat can be extremely healthy. A diet that contains only read meat, not so much. Red meat contains a complete set of essential amino acids as well as a bunch of good proteins and fats. But it is also pretty high calorie and contains a relatively high quantity of saturated fats.

So, if there is an answer to your question, the answer is some is good, too much is bad.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    is red meat bad? I'm trying to eat healthier but it always seems that we buy LOTS of red meat. Whatever we eat it never fails that it always has some sort of meat in it or on the side. I'm trying really hard in eating better but seems to me that everything we eat at some point it is bad for one reason or another.

Do not fuss over all this "bad for you" crap, there are studies that will say that anything and everything is bad for you, eat within your Macros and stop worrying about red meat- It's Delicious and healthy.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    I'm a meat eater; as a matter of fact, being a WV gal, if I don't have any handy, I'll go out and kill me some. But, even though I'm a pretty hardcore athlete, red meat doesn't feature as a majority of my protein intake. I love it, it has its place, it's great for protein and iron, but God gave us a wonderous bounty of foods and each has its purpose. Any one of them in overabundance is a problem. It's not the red meat so much that's the problem, it's they way you approach your diet.
  • hooee71
    hooee71 Posts: 8 Member
    Beef (5 ounces):

195 calories
    14g fat
    75mg cholesterol
    23g protein

Chicken (5 ounces):

140 calories
    4g fat
    70mg cholesterol
    26g protein

Fairly equal except for calories and fat. I see nothing wrong with red meat in moderation, but do you have the fat to give up? The three things I focus on using MFP is Calories, Carbs, and Fat. If you <= all 3 of those stats for your day, enjoy.
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Variety is key. Eating red meat isn't necessarily bad - do a search for red meat and health and you'll find a huge variety of conflicting articles out there. Basically, as far as I can tell, the jury is out. However, if you're eating red meat every day, and larger quantities of it than fresh fruits and vegetables, that's not so great. I try to rotate - red meat once or twice a week, poultry, eggs, fish, vegetarian meals... one thing I've never seen contradicted is that a diet with greater variety of fresh, whole foods offers more nutrients than one that is limited to only a few items or is based on processed products. It's all about balance.
  • carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    I eat a form of red meat 1-3x a week whether it be a steak or ground beef. I see nothing wrong with it. I buy grass-fed meat and I eat some of the fat too if I'm feeling frisky.

I don't eat dairy (except for the occasional slice of cheese) or breads/pasta and I eat a ton of fresh fruits and vegetables and as far as I know I am perfectly healthy.

If you're uncomfortable with the idea of eating a lot of red meat, buy fresh turkey burgers or ground turkey meat instead.