What am I doing wrong? I need advice ASAP

Options
2»

Replies

• Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    You mention in your profile that you have PCOS, I would talk to your doctor maybe a bit more about diet. I have several friends that have it, and have read from a lot of people on here, that a LOW carb diet is best for pcos. This may be the case for you. Just something might be worth looking into.
    For now, less sodium, less highly processed foods, accurate logging and all of that... and most of all.. just keep going. It takes time.
  • RieBerg
    RieBerg Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Same thing is happening to me. I was advised to eat more calories which doesn't make sense to me, but I am giving it a try today and see what happens.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    You are eating way too little, this type of diet causes initial immediate weight loss (mostly water) and then regaining it when your body is clinging onto every calorie, scared of you starving yourself.

Do yourself and your metabolism a favour - up your calories - eat to lose 1lb a week, and keep it consistent for at least a month before you start panicing.

Also, stop weighing yourself everyday.
  • hooee71
    hooee71 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It may be water retention, your sodium levels are pretty high.

I would agree... almost double what they should be.
  • YellowNightingale
    YellowNightingale Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice!! Someone messaged me and talked me through it. It is probably several factors, the main being I am not getting enough calories because I am also exercising. And 2, yes I am getting too much sodium, which is tricky for me. I made 2 mistakes this week - one was buying a canned tomato sauce to use when I made chili, and 2 was making sauerkraut with turkey sausage. I did rinse the sauerkraut but there is no way to represent that in MFP. Live and learn.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Yes your net calories after exercise are too low. If you are drinking tons of water then the salt shouldn't really be a big issue.
  • alicat_au
    alicat_au Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hmmm mine is the same... I don't have a lot of sodium in my diet, but have gained 500 grams this week from last week's weigh in. It really gets me down when I don't see results. I think I've been tracking for 12 days now too.

Week one was a weight loss of 2kgs and now a gain of 500g.

After reading this I think my calorie intake is too low. Thanks guys :)
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Yep, as you already saw...
    You aren't eating enough. The sodium and and exercise combined can make your body, especially your muscles, hold water. Water can make your weight swing widely... a pint (a.k.a. 2 cups or 16 oz.) of water is a pound. Luckily water weight like that will come off.
    (I wouldn't worry about the sugar since it comes from mostly healthy sources. I find fiber is important for me, but looks like you're probably good at that.)
    Eat more and give it a bit more time. Good luck!
    (A collection of suggestions: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/how-to-use-myfitnesspal-427993)
    ETA
    And it sounds counter-intuitive, but the person who said to drink more water was right. When you ingest too much sodium, water helps "wash" it out. Stressed muscles will also hold water, but that will work out over time. So more water can actually help reduce water-weight gain. Our bodies are amazing and sometimes weirdly counter-intuitive things. :-D
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Compare your weight on a month to month basis to assess true progress. Also, track inches and bodyfat if you can.

If no results after 1 month: cut calories.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    You're right. Not eating enough, and sodium is crazy high. I'm glad you figured it out!

It's a learning process. Keep on going, you're doing great. :)
  • pkoll
    pkoll Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Everyone else is covering the calories and salt angle, so I won't add to that. Maybe you should trust the process and not weight yourself so frequently. You will have so many ups and downs. You will notice the difference over the long haul. I did the same thing when I started, and it drove me crazy! Keep plugging away, but don't keep weighing so frequently.
  • YellowNightingale
    YellowNightingale Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Thanks all :) am working on getting more calories in today. Using my TDEE I adjusted my MFP profile in order to have it set to 1600 cals a day instead of 1,380. I woke up late today and had a late breakfast, so I am short a meal but am trying to add more calories in tonight to get close to the goal. Definitely a learning process :)