Is it stalling if you can't go to maintenance?

Options
nxd10
nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
I've been on almost a year, passed my original goal 15 pounds back and am now in the middle of my 'healthy' weight range. The doctor and I are both happy. I'm comfortable with what I'm eating and not hungry. I really do feel like this is just how I eat now. All good.

I would LIKE to lose another 5 pounds. I'd look a bit better and when I do those up and down cycles I'd always be in my target goal range. Stupid, but true.

In an ideal world, I'm also supposed to go into maintenance at some point and up my calories by 500 or so a day (I can't imagine it, but it must be true.) I'm still set at a pound a week for loss.

I hit my calorie goal every week and 6/7 days - 1230 calories a day. I've been stable at this weight/calorie goal two months. I'm not gaining, but I'm not losing either. The not losing isn't so bad, but I feel like I SHOULD be able to eat more. If I'm stable now, it makes sense to me that if I start eating more for maintenance I'll gain. Has my body just changed to this level? Do other people have this problem?

Replies

• bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    how can you be comfortable and happy but still want to lose more weight? sounds like you have been gotten comfortable with the whole concept of eatting at a deficit and are scared to move on? I would suggest going to maintenance and Eatting your TDEE and working on fitness goals instead, but that is only my opinion. good luck.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You should probably try a month or so at maintenance. You might go up a couple of pounds at first, but ultimately you will level off.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    how can you be comfortable and happy but still want to lose more weight?

Haven't you ever felt good about your weight but thought, "It would be even cooler if I could lose that extra bit of flab on my tummy", or "My legs could be more fit than they are now"? There's a difference between being happy with your weight and having your ideal body.

^^^^ this ^^^^

I don't want an ideal body and I'm SO happy with my progress. I'd like to stay in a zone between 150-155. It's a good zone for me, it's where I was stable all through college, and it's where I came back to after each of my kids were born. It puts me right in the middle of the 'healthy' BMI zone. I think it's my body's natural healthy weight.

Right now I bounce between 155 and 158. I would like to bounce between 152 and 155, so I don't creep up higher than that. So I wouldn't be unhappy if I stayed where I am, but in an ideal world, I'd like to have 155 be my top, not my bottom. And I definitely don't want to get over 158.

I'm 54 and have a very time consuming job. I walk to work every day. I bike 5 days a week in the summer. But my hobbies are mostly playing music and sewing. I am never going to be a gym person. Fitness isn't my life. I respect people who do that. I don't.

I don't mind staying at this calorie level most days. But yeah, it would be nice if at SOME point in my life I could do what I did this afternoon - have an extra scone for 200 calories - and not have to take a walk to stay within my calorie budget.