What is with these cheat days?

Options

Replies

• lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Haha I will call it a cheat day even if I eat healthy all day but I go over my cals because of drinking like a college girl. It doesn't mean I'll dedicate the entire day to eating ****, actually I think I have only done that once since I started this and that would be St. Patty's day weekend and it was STILL carefully planned out. A kid's meal at my favorite junk food place and a junior pizza with veggies from papa johns. Yes I was cheating, but still trying to be a good girl :wink:
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Why cant it be just a meal?....Why cant you just have one junky thing everyday as long as it fits into your macros?

idk about it being "junky," but i try to throw in something special every day. sometimes it is chocolate, sometimes it's protein-loaded cake-pops.

i totally agree, though. going on a binge day is more damaging than helpful.
  • nicolej1016
    nicolej1016 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing. If I 'cheat', I know that I am just re-starting a bad pattern that I am trying to break through MFP. Plus, I allow myself a 'treat' now and then, as long as it fits within my calories for the day, etc. I am not strong enough to 'cheat' and not start playing mind games with myself again in justifying 'just one more cookie', 'just one bad day', etc.

Since each person is unique, maybe having a less-structured day is helpful to some and keeps them on track in the long run. Maybe, some people 'cheat' by having an extra glass of wine or one slice of cake and they can keep it under control. I am not one of them - at least for now.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Having a scheduled day makes me really pick and choose what calories are important enough for me to spend on that cheat day.

yeah that too!
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I have had a 'cheat day' every Friday since I started my healthier lifestyle. I went from 175lbs to 144lbs. :B

So, yeah. I don't understand these forum posts. If you don't like the idea of "cheat days" then don't have one. Simple. This works for me, everyone is different, blahblahblah.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    For me, calling something a "cheat" implies that what I'm choosing to eat is a "bad" thing.

One of the most important things I've learned along the way is that labelling foods "good" and "bad" is tightly linked to my former unhealthy eating habits, which also included eating in secret, binging, and generally feeling guilty about eating.

Food is not "bad". Sure, some foods are nutritionally superior than others, and it's probably a good idea to make an effort to eat mostly those kinds of foods. But, in my opinion and experience, there is no harm in enjoying a very wide variety of foods as long as they fit your macro and caloric goals.

Now, rather than obsessing over "bad" foods that I "can't" or "shouldn't" have, I simply decide what I want to eat and make it fit my day. Simple. Sometimes I even make the decision to go over (sometimes well over) my daily intake. But you know what? No biggie. In the great scheme of things it won't have an effect on my progress, as long as I'm consistent. So now? No guilt, no secret eating, no obsessing, no restrictions, no elimination of foods - and great results that are sustainable. :drinker:
  • Aradia_Silvermoon
    Aradia_Silvermoon Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I don't plan my cheat days like some people I know; they'll eat whatever they want every Saturday or whatever. I strive for moderation but I do have days where I just don't feel like watching every single bite and calorie. I don't binge eat per se but I do eat things that sound good and at the end of the day I put it in to see how I did then I move on the next day.
  • Endman
    Endman Posts: 894
    Options
    I will share why I have cheat days. However please understand I know it is counterproductive and it is something I want to end. I HATE logging my calorie consumption because I obsess about it. I have to measure or weigh everything. And it is SO difficult for me to guesstimate when I don't have my scale with me - like when I am at work or eat out somewhere or when someone cooks me a food dish that contains multiple ingredients. Also it is difficult to find the proper amount of calories in the database. If you look something up there is a WIDE range of varying figures for pretty much the same item. The only thing I have found that is pretty consistent in the database are processed foods.

So I currently have one day a week where I do not worry about logging what I eat. It allows me to reboot my aggravation levels and start fresh again the next day. I do not purposely splurge on these days. I just don't obsessively measure and log. But like I said I want to stop this habit of needing to have cheat days. I am happy to hear any constructive suggestions.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine planning more than one "off record" meal, but I go off the rails on a fairly regular basis. It usually starts that I don't log something, figuring I can do it later, then I eat several more somethings, and before I know it I have no idea how much I ate because I just don't remember. I am thinking now I had better keep a notebook in the kitchen so that I can write things down because my memory obviously isn't serving me.

And it's probably an excuse anyway because what I really want is to magically drop the 40 extra pounds without changing anything. Is that too much to ask? Apparently.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I can understand "cheat days'... But not if they are often/HUGE/guilt inducing/keeping one from reaching their goals.

I occasionally have a day or even two of not logging or measuring or worrying about calories. But I stick to my food goals in between non-logging days, have no guilt, don't binge, and am still reaching my fitness goals.

If someone is having huge binging cheat days and not reaching their goals, then "cheat days" aren't something they can afford.i guess those are the people with binge eating disorders and it's harder for them to just walk away from chips and cookies.

(I don't think of my non logging days as cheating though, I make my own rules and occasional non-recording is part of my rules, therefore not cheating)
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing. If I 'cheat', I know that I am just re-starting a bad pattern that I am trying to break through MFP. Plus, I allow myself a 'treat' now and then, as long as it fits within my calories for the day, etc. I am not strong enough to 'cheat' and not start playing mind games with myself again in justifying 'just one more cookie', 'just one bad day', etc.

Since each person is unique, maybe having a less-structured day is helpful to some and keeps them on track in the long run. Maybe, some people 'cheat' by having an extra glass of wine or one slice of cake and they can keep it under control. I am not one of them - at least for now.

This ^ is true for me too.
  • jaf320
    jaf320 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    When I was eating REALLY strictly during the week (a few years ago now), I used to have a "rule" that I could eat whatever I wanted one day a week...BAD idea. Definitely created a binge mentality on that day that I had never had before, and made it difficult to eat socially or "go with the flow" regarding eating situations. After a lot of thought on the issue around the time I joined MFP, I've decided that I'm no longer doing a cheat day and instead am doing my best to make sound, rational choices that don't involve either extreme (deprivation or an "eat ALL THE FOODS" mindset) on a daily basis. This has been so helpful for me. I''m proud to say that I've literally eaten out (or been in a dinner party type situation) 4 out of the last 5 days and not gone way overboard at all. I've eaten according to hunger cues, eaten reasonable amounts, and have truly realized that it is far better to have some treats randomly "allowed" into your everyday!

I do track on all days though...not so that I can be restrictive (as you can see from my diary!) but because it really keeps me out of that "might as well eat everything now that I'm indulging!" mindset.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds and have been maintaining that for at least a year and a half now and I still have a "cheat" day every weekend. ALL DAY!

"Cheat" means different things to different people.
    For me, I exercise more that day and still try to keep my calories within a reasonable range of my normal goal. "Cheating" *usually* means restaurants, simple carbs or some candy I've been craving (today it was a bagel, a donut and a mexican restaurant!)

I think you should worry about what you want to do for you and let others worry about themselves. That way, everyone is happy! :)

First let me make it clear I am not worried about others doing this.I am just curious to the logic and justifications ppl have for these actions.
    I am not against it nor do I condone it, I just dont understand it. Being on here I have learned many things I didn't understand. I just want to broaden my knowledge and understanding of these actions so that I am able to comment in a better more educated way instead of commenting with just my feeling or attitude towards it. Nothing is one sided and for the most part all things are not black & white. But in order to be a better BFFF I need to understand it because alot of my BFFF do this.

I think you should thoroughly read the thread instead of writing it off to worrying about ones self and not others. You are welcome.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I don't have a "cheat" meal, but I have a "TREAT" meal once a week (at least I try to keep it to once a week haha) where I eat anything I want. It's usually pasta and tiramisu and I usually go over my cals by up to 800 (which is still 200 below my TDEE). It's stuff I'd still plan on eating in moderation at maintenance so I don't see why I can't enjoy it in moderation now. :D

Every once in awhile I have a pang of guilt about it but it usually fades. haha I have a mentality that sometimes gets the best of me when it comes to these changes I've made!
  • xxxTiaxxx
    xxxTiaxxx Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Saturdays are usually my cheat days. That’s when I bake and like to poke my fingers in bowls. It’s not that bad for me though but it makes me learn to instead of having a day to just have a meal. Last Saturday I had a piece of Turkish bread for lunch and that pushed me over. A lot of it comes down to learning about what you’re eating. I find a cheat day good because now that I’ve lost a little a bit of weight it’s showing me what food do what to me. I never realized how bloated I got after eating Turkish bread. It sat with me all day. But I’m not that crazy about losing weight where I’m going to neglect my desires to eat pizza, chicken wings or Chinese food. I just don’t give into it as often as I would. I have felt guilty after eating (not even a full day of it) but as I said it’s all about learning.
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Why should you care if someone has a cheat day or not? Some of us only have a few pounds to lose, or are closer to our goal, or whatever!

Work on what works for you - and let others do the same.
  • missability
    missability Posts: 223
    Options
    I have been here and on my own plan since January 1, I have lost 41 pounds. I make 80% of my days, wheat corn gluten and soy free. I eat tons of fresh fruit, cottage cheese, fresh or frozen veggies, Lean proteins like fish and poultry. I use organic, free range and cage free when ever possible. if my diary lists a veggie or fruit, butter, milk, eggs etc....90% of the time it is organic, cage hormone, antibiotic etc etc free. I am just to lazy to look it up that way, I just find the veggie or fruit, do the svg, and enter it. My fats are grapeseed, walnut olive oils, organic unsalted butter, yogurt, farmers cheese, cottage cheese, etc....Having said all that....When I started I had done a lot of reading on the hormone called Leptin, and how triggering it after days of low calorie is important to keep the furnace going, as it were...I eat very low<<<doctor supervised, Half my stomach is gone, and have had 3 bowel surgeries, (and a myriad of health issues) and then every 6 to 9 days, give or take, I have a "TREAT" meal. never after 4:30 pm, and only ONE meal. I start my treat meal days with a protein breakfast, and a light mid morning snack in preparation....it does not stumble me, it is not an excuse to over indulge. In fact I struggle to get up over 1600 calories on treat meal day....so I do not think everyone is the same or treats the idea of a CHEAT the same...Everyone has to find what works for them, :) thank you for your time:)
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    If your "cheat meal" is the last meal of the day, it can easily be synonymous with a "cheat day," can it not?

If you're the guest at a friend's dinner table and find that the meal turned out to be higher in calories than you anticipated (perhaps you felt it gauche to pull out your MyFitnessPal smartphone app before spooning some onto your plate), then how is lack of "self control" responsible for your having gone over?

If you typically exercise for a set amount of time in the evenings, planning your calorie intake during the day to eat back the majority of the exercise calories, and have your workout curtailed due to unforeseen circumstance (illness, family emergency, twisting an ankle while running, etc), is lack of "self control" to blame for your "cheat day?"
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Why should you care if someone has a cheat day or not? Some of us only have a few pounds to lose, or are closer to our goal, or whatever!

Work on what works for you - and let others do the same.

That wasn't the OP's question, she was trying to understand the mentality to be a better MFP friend. She wasn't harping on people FOR doing it, just trying to understand the why.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I can understand "cheat days'... But not if they are often/HUGE/guilt inducing/keeping one from reaching their goals.

I occasionally have a day or even two of not logging or measuring or worrying about calories. But I stick to my food goals in between non-logging days, have no guilt, don't binge, and am still reaching my fitness goals.

If someone is having huge binging cheat days and not reaching their goals, then "cheat days" aren't something they can afford.i guess those are the people with binge eating disorders and it's harder for them to just walk away from chips and cookies.

(I don't think of my non logging days as cheating though, I make my own rules and occasional non-recording is part of my rules, therefore not cheating)

Yes. This is where I get confuzzled. If you feel guilty about it why do it or cont to do it? What are you getting from it? And at what point do you say stop? I have trouble understanding why it cant be spread so that you still meet macros.