measuring food?

So when you eat something like chopped chicken is putting it in a 4oz measuring cup going to be about the same calories as weighing on a scalet. Trying to decide if I should buy a scale already. Right now I am mostly just using measuring cups and spoons. I have a postal scale can that be used for food.

Replies

• ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Measuring works well for some foods, but for many things such chicken I use a kitchen scale. You don't have to get an expensive scale. The one I have is a digital that weighs up to 11 lb./5 kg. and I got it on sale for about $12.00. For me it certainly was a worthwhile investment.

However, I don't see why a postal scale wouldn't work just as well. The main thing is to be able to get an accurate weight.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,839 Member
    Scales are a lot easier, a lot more accurate, and make fewer dirty dishes. (You can weigh right on the plate you're going to eat on.)
  • Buy a scale. You would be surprised at the difference it makes. You can get a good scale for under $20.00.
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    any good recommendations there are so many I was looking at the biggest loser one but it got bad reviews
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Yeh, I noticed the reviews weren't that great on Amazon for the Biggest Loser one. Don't know if anyone here had any better luck with that brand. The one I have is made by Starfrit. I have had it for a couple of years and it is very reliable and I quite like it. Here is a link if you want to look at the specs and reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Starfrit-093016-Electronic-Kitchen-Scale/dp/B000MMAHPY
  • BUY A SCALE!!!!!!! For things that are measured by ounces in WEIGHT, you can't just throw it in a measuring cup.. that's for fluid ounces. A kitchen scale is probably one of the MOST useful tools that will aid in weight loss!!!!! I cannot stress this enough!
  • Measuring works well for some foods, but for many things such chicken I use a kitchen scale. You don't have to get an expensive scale. The one I have is a digital that weighs up to 11 lb./5 kg. and I got it on sale for about $12.00. For me it certainly was a worthwhile investment.

However, I don't see why a postal scale wouldn't work just as well. The main thing is to be able to get an accurate weight.

I have had the biggest loser scale for two years and i LOVE it.. easy to use and cheap!
  • endlesoul
    endlesoul Posts: 98 Member
    A kitchen scale most defiantly mine was rather inexpensive but works great for my purposes. Now if you were a baker who needed to weight large bowls then this wouldn't be a good choice.

http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Digital-Kitchen-Capacity-Stylish/dp/B003E7AZQA/ref=sr_1_5_m?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1365991427&sr=1-5&keywords=Electronic+Kitchen+Scale
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    thanks for all the recs
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    BUY A SCALE!!!!!!! For things that are measured by ounces in WEIGHT, you can't just throw it in a measuring cup.. that's for fluid ounces. A kitchen scale is probably one of the MOST useful tools that will aid in weight loss!!!!! I cannot stress this enough!

The enginerd in me :heart:s this answer.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    I have the Eat Smart Precision Pro
    http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Scale/dp/B001N0D7GA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366080764&sr=8-1&keywords=eat+smart+kitchen+scale

I love it!

I weigh pretty much everything so much more accurate than measuring cups/spoons
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Do it. I love my food scale. It's great for baking and cooking as well I use it to measure out my son's formula for his tube feedings. I wish I'd bought one sooner.
  • Alison12121
    Alison12121 Posts: 198 Member
    No, buy a scale. I just put my plate on the scale, weigh out portions, and I know exactly how much I ate. It makes it a lot easier. :smile:
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    I have the Biggest Loser scale, its still sitting on my counter...I used it a few times
    I found it annoying that I had to manually add in all those foods.
    I am a lazy Leo tho, I guess if I played with it I'd like it