I think I am eating too much....

Options
If I still with the MFP numbers I feel like I will never lose weight. Can someone take a peak in my food diary and let me know if I'm on the right track. I'm eating back my exercise calories and I try to keep below my daily allowance after that to under 75. BUt when I peak at other people's food diaries they always seem to be 300-400 calories below their daily allowance.
I went on the scooby sight and it said my TDEE should be 2029 and my calories if I want to lose 20% should be 1623.....that it higher than what I'm eating now.
I'm slightly confused. lol

Nicole

Replies

• CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    If you use the TDEE, then don't eat back your exercise calories. Just eat the 1600 calories everyday and continue to keep the activity level at what you set the TDEE at. Then you should lose weight. It will be slow, but you should lose at that TDEE.
  • acm130
    acm130 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Looks good, and as above if you're doing the TDEE less 20% you don't eat back your exercise calories. I had most success with modified TDEE because my training/work outs vary in intensity so I figured out my TDEE for regular activities and work outs and then during heavy training I eat back between 50-80% of my exercise kcals.This also serves as a kind of calorie zigzag. Glad you are using Scooby calculators, it's such a helpful site. How are you feeling at your current kcal intake? Do you have energy, are your work-outs rewarding and leaving you pleasantly tired but not overwhelmingly fatigued? That's ultimately the best indicator for me on how much I should be eating. Best of luck to you.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Looks good, and as above if you're doing the TDEE less 20% you don't eat back your exercise calories. I had most success with modified TDEE because my training/work outs vary in intensity so I figured out my TDEE for regular activities and work outs and then during heavy training I eat back between 50-80% of my exercise kcals.This also serves as a kind of calorie zigzag. Glad you are using Scooby calculators, it's such a helpful site. How are you feeling at your current kcal intake? Do you have energy, are your work-outs rewarding and leaving you pleasantly tired but not overwhelmingly fatigued? That's ultimately the best indicator for me on how much I should be eating. Best of luck to you.

Good thoughts. Try out what scooby told you, check it against FitnessFrog.com just to be sure and see how the next few weeks go. If you lose than you've got a good cal goal, if you maintain dial it down a bit, and if you gain dial it down even more.

Another note, people tend to overestimate their activity level. Even working out 5 days a week for usually at least an hour I was still only lightly active... sitting at a desk all day kind of negates that hour or two of hard work. Just something to keep in mind after you reassess in a few weeks.

Best of luck!
  • nikky731
    nikky731 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    So if you go by the TDEE do you make adjustments in MFP or do you just do the calculation yourself?
    I think my MFP is set up for 1200 food and then I eat back almost all my exercise calories which is around 350 per day.
    My TDEE is 1623...so I guess I should be eating 75 calories more???

To be honest feel like I am starving during the day doing the MFP, I feel fine though after I work out and eat back my exercise calories. I do feel exhausted most of the day...but this is my first official week-I think my body is going through some pain and withdrawal! :o)
  • nikky731
    Options

Good thoughts. Try out what scooby told you, check it against FitnessFrog.com just to be sure and see how the next few weeks go. If you lose than you've got a good cal goal, if you maintain dial it down a bit, and if you gain dial it down even more.

Another note, people tend to overestimate their activity level. Even working out 5 days a week for usually at least an hour I was still only lightly active... sitting at a desk all day kind of negates that hour or two of hard work. Just something to keep in mind after you reassess in a few weeks.

Best of luck!

I checked out fitness frog and it was the same number. :o)
    Thanks for the tip about the activity level.... I put moderately active but maybe I should go down a level.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

Best of luck!

I checked out fitness frog and it was the same number. :o)
    Thanks for the tip about the activity level.... I put moderately active but maybe I should go down a level.

Try out 1600 for at least two weeks and see how it goes. You'll still be in a deficit, just a slightly smaller one. Then adjust from there. Calcs are just ball park estimates anyway, you'll have to tweak as you go.
  • nikky731
    Options
    Thanks you guys...I'm going to try that. :o)
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    You have to remember that a lot of people are not as honest with their diary as you are (or are eyeballing too much).

You are not eating a lot, it just looks like it because you eat a lot of little things that are under 100 cals.