Starvation mode in hospital

Options
Been in the hospital since Thur. and not eating anything I am worried about me being in starvation mode. When I get strong again and can start eating how do I recover from this. I did not put anything in my stomach since Wed. and just started clear liquids today. Before this I have been lifting and working out four to five times a week. Really worried this is setting me back.

Replies

• AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Since I don't know why your in the hospital, my assumption is your waiting for/had surgery. You may have to take it easy going back, but you will get back. I think you'd have to do this for much longer to do damage. Your there for a reason, worry about that first.
  • Anime_
    Anime_ Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you're in the hospital for, but "starvation mode" should probably be the least of your concerns right now. Getting better and getting your appetite back go hand in hand.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Unless you've been eating less than 500 calories for months there is no danger you are in starvation mode. Just start eating again as you feel better.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    About a year ago I had surgery and couldn't eat for 6 days. All I had was water during that time. Post-surgery I wasn't able to just jump straight back into everything I was doing right away, but I'd say within 2 months from surgery I was back to my old self.

Worry first about your health, do not worry about 'starvation mode'.
  • michelledownardarchibald
    Options
    Yeah you all are right I do need to worry about getting back to feeling well again. No procedures done just really sick but I for the first time was commiting to eating better and really working out at a gym and bam a set back. I just hope I find that groove again when I get strong again.
  • chicagospeechie
    chicagospeechie Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about "starvation mode" - I had surgery and couldn't eat Sun-Thursday then made the slow transition from clear liquids to Crohn's acceptable foods. I struggled to get in 1,000 calories for a while there. I lost weight and continue to lose - no stalling of my metabolism (and I'm eating a normal amount of calories now that I'm 8 weeks post-op). Obviously if you're recovering from surgery you'll have to take a break from exercise but just give yourself time to heal.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you're in the hospital for, but "starvation mode" should probably be the least of your concerns right now. Getting better and getting your appetite back go hand in hand.

This. You have bigger fish to fry. After you get home, work up gradually to what you were doing before getting sick. Be kind to your body.
  • angel_of_harmony
    angel_of_harmony Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I was hospitalize for 5 days last month and was not allowed to eat for the majority of those days. I found that once my appetite returned I was hungry very often. Granted I also quit smoking when I came home and have heard that also can increase your appetite. It has been over 30 days and I still am constantly hungry; I have been eating more frequent smaller meals and snacking healthy to combat the cravings.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about "starvation mode". Just focus on feeling better and getting stronger. It might take you awhile once you are released and home to regain your strength, and odds are you'll gain some weight back that you lost while on a liquid diet. Don't leave the hospital and try to jump right back into what you were doing though, take it easy for a few days and make sure that you are ready to be doing what you were doing before.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Why are you not eating? Are you restricted by your dr?