College weight gain

Options
So...I came to college weighing around 135, not super thin but healthy. This past year and a half I've gained about 40 lbs. I've finally gotten tired of my clothes that are too tight, and as I'm too poor to buy new ones I need to lose some weight.

The thing is--I have no control over what they serve in the cafeteria. Nearly every meal here is most of my calorie goal for the day. I'm so hungry all the time, eating a bunch of empty carbs once a day but I can't eat more than one meal because that puts me over. I've cut out desserts now, and am going to start cutting breads. I never get seconds anymore.

What should I do? Maybe I'll buy some grapefruits and just eat those for the other two meals per day that I'm not eating.... :/

Replies

• cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    You'll have to get creative. Do they have a salad bar? Or vegetarian options? Fresh fruit? Those will probably be a life-saver. Also remember the general rules: avoid creamy broth soups, fried food, etc. Do they have whole grain options? You don't have to cut out bread completely. I don't know what kind of meal plan you're on, but it may be worth buying a few things on your own (fruits, whole grain snacks, etc).

Also, be careful about alcohol. It has a lot of hidden calories.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Here's a few options for you:

1. Get off the meal plan entirely, buy and cook your own food. You can do a lot with a rice cooker/steamer - it can basically double as a crock pot, and you're probably allowed to have it in your dorm room. If you're not allowed to have a rice cooker, don't be a problem resident (thus giving your RA probable cause to search your room), and hide it on inspection day.

2. If you can't get off the meal plan for whatever reason, start demanding healthier options in the cafeteria; I find it hard to believe that your cafeteria serves literally nothing but empty carbs, all day every day. I get that some days, the chicken tenders are the only things that you're certain are edible, but if that's the case then it's on you to start demanding change. If nobody says anything, business will continue as usual. Gather some like-minded fellow students and send around a petition for healthier food options in the cafeteria. Asking for vegetarian and vegan options is a good place to start. Take the petition to any or all of the following people: the director of dining services, the president of your student government association, the president of the university.

3. If the healthier options already exist, and you can't get off the meal plan, it's time to suck it up and eat your vegetables. You're a grown up now, act like it. (Of course, if even the "healthier options" are truly awful, go back to step 2 and demand an explanation for this bull****, but otherwise all you're doing is making excuses.)