Any spouses not supportive even though they are unhappy abou

Options
I was married in 2005, I was a lot thinner but had my second son 2 years ago. I quit smoking 2.5 months ago and was findinb that I was gaining to fast. I don't want one bad dependancy to go to another one. I am 130 lbs at 5'2 my husband is 270 lbs at 6'5.
I don't know how to make healthier choices without starving him?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Angelle
    Angelle Posts: 13
    Options
    I was married in 2005, I was a lot thinner but had my second son 2 years ago. I quit smoking 2.5 months ago and was findinb that I was gaining to fast. I don't want one bad dependancy to go to another one. I am 130 lbs at 5'2 my husband is 270 lbs at 6'5.
    I don't know how to make healthier choices without starving him?
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • Skinnier_Me
    Skinnier_Me Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Hi Angelle,

You can look through the recipes that are posted or go to:

allrecipes.com
    fabulousfoods.com
    sparkpeople.com
    lowfatlifestyle.com

Look through their recipes and give them a try.
    You can always continue cooking your fave foods just substitute ingredients for healthier options.
  • sanlin20
    sanlin20 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi Angelle: I don't quite understand your situation. Sounds to me like you, between you two, you are the one who wants to control the weight gain and eat healthy, but he is not happy with healthy food; am I right? I am not being rude here, but will follow the weight categories accepted by CDC. From the stats that you provided, your BMI is 23.8 (5'2" 130lb), so your weight is 'normal'. BMI between 18.5 to 24.9 is normal. On the other hand, his BMI is 32 (6'5" 270lb), so he is 'obese'. It seems he is the one who actually needs to be on a serious fitness/diet plan!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    I agree with sanlin.
  • Angelle
    Angelle Posts: 13
    Options
    We recently quitsmoking and we did it for various reasons but one being our health. I didn't want to quit smoking and fall into a food addiction.
    My youngest son is two years old and I used to be 118lbs, I use to feel great! Now I know I may never reach the 180 lbs again, but I want to feel healthy and know that I'm teaching my kids balance and moderation.
  • dragonfly183
    dragonfly183 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have this problem, well sort of. i was a perfect 123 pound size 3 when i met my husband who has been overweight for as long as I've known him. I started gaining weight because i had to cook things he would eat and he won't eat healthy. 7 years later I weigh 175 pounds and its soooo all his fault. If he won't eat the healthy food I cook I tell him he "Can" starve. If what he eats doesn't feel him up he can always have a snack after dinner or something.
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have a skinny husband from a skinny family. I struggle to keep my weight in the healthy range. He is supportive and knows that it is important for me to be healthy if we want to have a long and loving life together.

If you have been expected all this time to become accustomed to their food choices and it has resulted in an unhealthier you, you should take back control. If they can't support that, they are being selfish. It's more than just the comfort or familiarity of food - its about being a healthy human being. It took a lot of strength for me to say to my husband that my health was more important than his beef strogganoff (sp?) or cheeseburger and fries. But he gets it and knows that keeping me around for years to come means that I have to be health. He just made dinner and made a turkey patty for me while he made a burger for himself. That was sweet and didn't call for much special effort or change for him. Small changes can mean a lot!