Stress busters that aren't food and alcohol

Options
Ok, I need to get going. I need to make massive change and see some results. I'm going to focus on the one thing that I think is hurting me the most. Drinking. I have a drink or three after a bad day, after the kids go crazy, to celebrate, to relax, whatever. What are some better ways to beat my stress, to calm down and relax without having wine? I just need some ideas how to cope with a crazy life and family without yelling and having a drink. Thoughts? Thanks

Replies

• allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Hit on something? Volley a tennis ball against a wall, speed bag, heavy bag, go historical and whack a "pell" with a "sword". Pretty much anything "high energy" physical should do the trick. Even going for a walk helps, though you might "need" to start out at a 4MPH pace when you leave the house (no harm if you "mutter" and "express your feelings" as you walk as well). When you've found some calm, have a discussion with the "stress causers", if possible and try to "negotiate" ways to reduce the stresses. Alcohol doesn't really "fix" stress - it just numbs your feelings.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    _____

I've got nothing.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Walking or any other exercise you like or meditation.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Running. Simple as that.

Good on you for realizing that drinking is NOT the answer to anything.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    sexual pleasure ;)
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Running. Sensuously. It gives me a high that I can't explain. I have been doing c25k. I did week 7 today.
  • leonaedithlewis
    leonaedithlewis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I Love Zumba. It really works out my frustrations. Calling someone to chat and share how things are going helps relieve stress. Meditation is supposed to be great, but I can't say this from personal experience. Picking up a new sport or training for a 5k run/walk can be great.
  • Proyecto_AN
    Proyecto_AN Posts: 387
    Options
    Sex and meditation.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    There you have it. The ladies beat me to all the good answers.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Yoga, walking, dancing, lifting weights, meditation, breathing, tea, sex, bath, massage, being outdoors, sleeping.

Oh, yeah, I also agree with music and self defense classes.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Exercise, yoga, and music, for me.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Exercise is my stress-buster, but it sounds like you could benefit from some counseling. I'm not saying you should go walk into the nearest AA meeting, don't get me wrong. But "a drink or three" to unwind because "the kids are crazy" really doesn't sound like a healthy way to deal with life, and if it's not a problem yet, it likely will be. You have a duty as a parent to your kids to be a role model; do you want them to struggle with the same things you struggle with now? Come on, you're better than that. The fact that you're even asking this question means you're better than that. Please, look into some professional help. Cognitive-behavioral therapy or CBT may be useful for you.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    another vote for hitting or punching something, if you're into it, heavy lifting is also a stress reliever,
    and you'll feel so strong afterwards and confident. accomplished. but you would need to be calm enough
    to do the lifts safely.
  • Autumnsun26
    Autumnsun26 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Cardio or sex works for me.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Running. It kept me sane for the past 2 years!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    bubble bath.
    go for a run.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Running. Sensuously. It gives me a high that I can't explain. I have been doing c25k. I did week 7 today.

Lol.. Seriously... Not sensuously...
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I ike to put call of duty on the xbox and shoot some people.
  • AnJulNZ
    AnJulNZ Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Sex, have a bubble bath, SLEEP, pat a cat, play some music you love, go for a walk. Meditate.
    I think the idea of getting some counselling would help, this could become a big problem fast and that's the last thing you want. You've made the first step by acknowledging you have a bit of a problem, that's the hardest part, so I think you're already on your way.
    Good luck, and believe in yourself. You deserve better.