Anyone run 5k "races" alone?

Options

Replies

• cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Thank you EVERYONE for the feedback!! You're all so right -- I run alone all the time anyways, so why do I want to run with someone in a race! I guess it's more for the before and the after stuff that I'm worried about. But like others said, I'm sure I will meet people to chat with once I'm there. You've all got me motivated and enthusiastic to do it on my own -- thanks so much for the amazing support! Happy running to you all. :)
  • cinrn68
    Options
    Just an update -- I signed up for my first race on Mother's Day!! I will be running it alone and for ME!! I thought the day was appropriate considering my new health and fitness regime was started for ME, but my kids are my inspiration since I want to be around for them for a long time to come. :smile: :love: :smile: :love: :smile: :love:
  • tallieterp
    tallieterp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    you most definitely won't be "Alone"! I ran my first 5k with a friend who left me in her dust after the first quarter mile and I was on my own the rest of the way... remember why you're running it and focus on that... for me - it was just knowing that i could finish... sure it would have been great to have someone to feed off of but you'll be super proud when you finish no matter what!
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I just did my first one, and my "running partner" was my 10 year old, so I had to be the one to find out all the information...it was a little unnerving, but it was a small one for her school, so we did great!! I say do it alone if you have to, you will have fun either way!!! :) good luck!
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I have a question kind of on the same topic. I have a son who's with me 24/7. Last year I did the color run which was more for fun and not timed but I want to start doing more competitive racing. Would it be ok for me to run with a stroller in those races?
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    At my 1st 5k a few months ago I ran by myself and hope to do my next one that way also. This way I turn my music on and just do it at my own pace. Good luck!
  • cinrn68
    Options
    I have a question kind of on the same topic. I have a son who's with me 24/7. Last year I did the color run which was more for fun and not timed but I want to start doing more competitive racing. Would it be ok for me to run with a stroller in those races?

Most of the races will let you run with a stroller, but you have to be at the back of the pack. The race info should indicate it before you sign up, whether it's on a website or just ask the organizer. I've seen some that don't allow strollers or even music (earphones), so they will vary depending on the race.
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this trend where people HAVE to do races in groups.

Just freakin go and run. People that actually care about their time go there to run. A measly 3.1 miles and people need to show up with a posse? I find casual/social runners, um, interesting.
    Interesting? LOL Not all of us are fitness gurus. I have never been a runner or a jogger and always hated it. As I have recently started getting fit again, I have begun to contemplate the idea of doing a 5K. Yes, I would definitely be a "casual" runner. I have bad knees and I am slow. For me it would be about the accomplishment, not about winning in any form. Being able to finish with my held held high would be enough for me, although I am competitive enough in spirit to not want to finish last! ;-)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options

Every race is different. Check the website and if it doesn't specify in the rules/details then contact the race coordinator to be sure.

I mostly run alone so I don't mind running races alone. It's naturaly to be nervous the first time but you'll soon find out that the whole thing isn't nearly as intimidating as you think it is. One thing to keep in mind, if it's a larger event, they may set up areas by pace so please be honest about this.
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options
    I run all of my races alone, my fiance is a cyclist not a runner and I don't have any running friends.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I run races in all sorts of situations: alone, side by side with my son or a friend who runs at similar pace, "with" my husband (he's a lot faster than I am, so he starts up front while I hang back with the slower folk, then we meet up again at the finish line), and the other day for the first time, with friends in a relay race where we each ran alone, then switched off with one of the others for the next leg.

All are fun! Alone, I find I'm more competitive--just me against the clock...and the next person ahead of me that I can reasonably hope to pass. With others, the time goes faster, but you have to get the pacing right. I made the mistake of trying to hang with a faster friend in a 10-mile race once, and crashed badly toward the end. But I ran a 10K recently with someone who was just slightly faster than I normally run, and got a nice PR because I could stay with her.

If your friend or partner is considerably faster or slower, it's still nice to each run your own race and meet up at the end. You get to cheer each other's result and compare notes. Then go out for breakfast. :smile:
  • Madaly320
    Madaly320 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I know this might be an odd question, but I was hoping to get some input. I want to run a 5k race (there are numerous ones coming up in my area), but my friend who was supposed to join me has bailed on me for now. I'm nervous to do it alone... guess it's just because I'm shy and it would be my first time and I have no idea what the "procedure" is, etc. I guess it's a "safety in numbers" kind of thing -- blind leading the blind. LOL I know that I can and probably should just do it, but does anyone have any pointers? Thanks!!

I am running one this June with my 9yo daughter and a group in her school called "Sole Sisters", it is a group the school organized to promote self esteem, health and positive body image within the 3, 4 and 5th grade girls. It is also fun for them. They train, and also talk about things personal to girls their ages...but their goal is to run the 5k in June. They start training in Feb.

This group is what got me motivated because 2 years ago when I did it with my other daughter, I couldn't keep up and they were only WALKING! So I vowed I would run it this year.

BUT..the point of this is...even if I didn't have a daughter and a group to run with, I would still do it alone because it is something I want to prove to myself that I can do. No shame in doing it alone, you should be proud to do it!
  • Madaly320
    Options
    I'm not really a runner, I'm more of a 5K jogger. I do them to see some scenery. I do them alone because I don't know anyone around here that is into doing them. It's not a big deal. I'm not super outgoing either.

HA! all of this sounds like me!
    I have been training for this upcoming 5k but I am a SUPER slow runner, more of a jogger, people who speed walk can probably walk faster than how fast i jog but I have never run in my life so am just learning and I am going at my own pace. Right now, I am training for endurance, not speed.
    None of my friends are into this stuff, and neither is my husband, although I have tried to get him to be. I am not overly social anyway and if I had friends with me, i would get left behind anyway.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've done them alone. I don't have a problem with it though since typically I run alone anyway. If I DO run with someone, we agree to just go at our own pace and meet up at the finish line anyway.
  • Madaly320
    Options

ABSOLUTELY!!!!

the 5k I am doing in June is always filled with people pushing strollers, or even carrying the baby on their back. DO IT!! Last year, there was a "Moms group" of moms pushing strollers, probably 10-12 of them. I loved it.

I see all kinds of things..I see some people run barefoot...which I do NOT get. I see people in costumes. Absolutely take your baby if you have to/want to!
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I run ALL my races alone- 5K's, 10K's, half's . . . its about me and beating as many people around me as i can so being bogged down at someone else's pace just isn't an option- I run alone anyway so its not that big of a deal. I will say having my kids there at the start and finish line to cheer me on is the most AMAZING feeling ever!!! At my first race after ankle surgery, the Miles for Hope Breast Cancer Run, my kids were at the finish line with my mom (a breast cancer survivor) with a sign . . . I actually cried crossing the finish line
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Even on races where I've turned up and left with friends, within 500m I'm alone, and it will stay that way for the duration. I'm not there to chat, I'm there to race, which means giving it my best performance. The odds of any of your friends having an exact matching pace to you is approximately nil, so even if your friend did arrive with you, either you'd end up separating pretty quickly or one of you would be holding the other back.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    I did my first one alone.
  • tblackwell1234
    tblackwell1234 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I prefer running alone. =) It is my QUIET time.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I know this might be an odd question, but I was hoping to get some input. I want to run a 5k race (there are numerous ones coming up in my area), but my friend who was supposed to join me has bailed on me for now. I'm nervous to do it alone... guess it's just because I'm shy and it would be my first time and I have no idea what the "procedure" is, etc. I guess it's a "safety in numbers" kind of thing -- blind leading the blind. LOL I know that I can and probably should just do it, but does anyone have any pointers? Thanks!!

i've done an 8k and a 10k alone. i don't "feel" alone though because everyone is so supportive and cheers you on.