Grocery shopping for emergency "car food"

I have a bad habit of eating in my car. I'm on the road alot and I get hungry. I sometimes can't wait until I get home to eat. Yep, then it happens
i stop for fast food.

So, while at the store I picked up some non perishable, heat resistant food. My emergency lunch box consist of a fat free tuna and cracker kit and a 100 calorie pack of cookies. Any more ideas of what I can keep in my car that wont ruin (or make me sick) from the upcoming Texas heat???

Replies

• chimpoco
    chimpoco Posts: 193
    I have a bad habit of eating in my car. I'm on the road alot and I get hungry. I sometimes can't wait until I get home to eat. Yep, then it happens
    i stop for fast food.

So, while at the store I picked up some non perishable, heat resistant food. My emergency lunch box consist of a fat free tuna and cracker kit and a 100 calorie pack of cookies. Any more ideas of what I can keep in my car that wont ruin (or make me sick) from the upcoming Texas heat???
  • adriaciela
    adriaciela Posts: 1 Member
    how about baby carrots, mixed nuts (almonds are most nutritious), pretzels, reduced fat wheat thins, flavored soy nuts..that's all i could come up with. hope it helps you to pass up the drive thru. :wink:
  • jill5677
    jill5677 Posts: 56 Member
    Turkey Jerky is another one... you get an ounce for 80 cals (I think). It's high in soduim, but now in cals.

There are lots of 100 calorie packs, although those aren't necessarily the most nutritious items... they can help in a pinch.

Maybe granola bars too?
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    I usually keep a Clif bar or some other granola bar in my car.

But...lest we forget - the Taco Bell Fresco Style menu is a great option if you have to do fast food. I probably do it at least once a week. A fresco taco has 140 cals and a chicken taco has 170 - really not that bad! They can make virtually any item fresco style (they take off the cheese and sauce).
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member

But...lest we forget - the Taco Bell Fresco Style menu is a great option if you have to do fast food. I probably do it at least once a week. A fresco taco has 140 cals and a chicken taco has 170 - really not that bad! They can make virtually any item fresco style (they take off the cheese and sauce).
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285

I do a clif bar as well.... the black cherry is my favorite