Is this a sign that I need to increase my calories?

Options
According to MFP I need to net 1,450 calories per day but when calculating my TDEE and subtracting 30% I should be eating 1,900 calories/day. I have noticed that every time when I'm watching what I'm eating that my weight will drop a few tenths per day (I always weight myself first thing in the morning) but every single time if my husband and I go out to eat for dinner (after watching my calories during the day) the next morning my weight ALWAYS drops at least a 1/2 pound. On those days when we eat out my calorie intake is usually around 1900- 1950. Is this a sign that I need to increase my calorie intake when eating at home for all 3 meals?

Replies

• Vune
    Vune Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking on those nights out with your husband? A couple drinks can dehydrate you a bit, and that can show on the scale the next day. As well as every other theory as to what causes different scale trends. It seems that as long as you're on a downward trend over time, you're doing things right.
  • mandy_1794
    Options
    Nope, no drinking. I'm one of the unfortunate (maybe fortunate for my health) few that alcohol has no effect on so I stick with the cheaper drinks :)
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Ah, just a theory. I tend to be a cheap date, too!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Find what works for you, no one else can determine it! Trial and error my friend.
  • vegaspfmf
    vegaspfmf Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Id rather go with the tdee you calculated not what mfp says. MFP isnt giving you your tdee, I think its giving you your bmr and when you add exercise it gives you calories to compensate for your tdee. So use the tdee you calculated is the easiest method
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    It could be. That's how I got the inkling that I needed to eat more to lose... I'd struggle eating very little but when I'd say screw it and just eat whatever, I'd lose after that. It took the addition of a few high days to get me losing...