One side fatter than the other- HELP!

Options
So...this is pretty embarrassing, but one side of my body is fatter than the other side. And it's quite visible. I guess not really with clothes, but it is very obvious without. It's in my mid-section, which is my problem area where I carry most of my fat. Does anyone have any input as to why this might happen? I'm racking my brain but I'm not coming up with anything! And to fix it, should I just exercise one side when I do my strength exercises?!

Replies

• sidkrose
    sidkrose Posts: 35
    Options
    No one is perfectly symmetrical, some people less than others. I imagine that as you keep losing it will become less noticeable. Since you can't spot reduce I doubt that any specific strength exercise will help.
  • DulceDollie
    DulceDollie Posts: 115
    Options
    No one is perfectly symmetrical, some people less than others. I imagine that as you keep losing it will become less noticeable. Since you can't spot reduce I doubt that any specific strength exercise will help.

Thank you. Yes hopefully it will disappear eventually!
  • brookebelcher
    brookebelcher Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    just curious, but do you have scoliosis? I have scoliosis and one side of my body is also fatter than the other. I always wondered why but I realized that it was because of the curvature of my spine & that it was causing one hip bone to stick out while the other is more covered by fat. LOL. it's frustrating, i know. so just wanted to give you that input in case you have scoliosis as well (or maybe you can get checked)
  • CrimsonDiva7
    CrimsonDiva7 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I never thought about it being connected to my curved spine...wow!
  • carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I too have the same problem, but unfortunately mine is injury related. I broke my pelvis 4 years ago due to a car accident and as a result, my pelvis is "shifted" and twisted, making one hip bone stick out much more than the other. Even though I've lost 15 pounds it's like I have this massive love handle on one side while the other side is smooth. It's very obvious to me in shorts and bikinis I hate it. Also now one leg is longer than the other making my center of gravity completely off balance. I have to wear special orthotics because when doing exercises like squats my body naturally leans to one side- the side that sticks out. Ughhhhh lol.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue! I noticed one side of my stomach was larger than the other, and the crease at the bottom where it pokes out (sorry if graphic) was more defined and noticeable on the "big" side.

Fortunately the more weight I've lost, the more my body appears to even out.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    i haven't noticed it in my belly area, i lose there first, at least the upper area, anyway, my arms and legs right now have a half inch difference between them. i'm doing weight lifting, and new to it, but i'm lifting exactly the same on both sides. this is just likely part of the process of losing, and like the others said we'll even out as we go.
  • DulceDollie
    DulceDollie Posts: 115
    Options
    Thanks everyone, it's interesting to hear that I'm not the only one! And I do hope that it will even out as I go. I don't have scoliosis, that would be a good explanation! Thanks again for your input. :)
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I noticed years ago that my right arm and shoulder were bigger than the left. At the time my job involved a lot of cleaning and painting, so I guess I'd developed more muscle on my dominant side.