Advice on small dogs.

Options
No, this is not a troll thread. I'm being completely serious.

My four year old daschund/chihuhua mix randomly started scooting his butt on the ground a lot today and his anal glands were secreting some sort of fluid. He also seems to be in pain, and I'm getting worried.

Yes, I am going to take him to the vet hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday, but has anyone ever had a dog that this happened to?

Replies

• gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Definitely take him to the vet if he seems to be in pain.

My dogs scoot on the ground every now and then, especially prior to a bowel movement. I've heard that it is a normal behavior for them. But they never seem to be in pain or uncomfortable. I think they do it on my carpet to spite me. :)
  • kayduro
    kayduro Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    It's a common problem in small breeds. Google "impacted anal glands".
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he has impacted anal glands which need expressing. Your vet can do this, or I had a friend who did it to his dog after watching a YouTube vid. Personally, I'd go with the vet.

It's an uncomfortable but not life threatening thing, and is quite common in dogs :)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    It's a common problem in small breeds. Google "impacted anal glands".

Yes mine gets this and the vet has fixed it. Loves using my carpet for scooting now and then too as said above. Love that.. not!
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it. I suppose I shouldn't worry so much. :)
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Get a big dog.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    Options
    Get a big dog.

Get a bigger heart.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Get a big dog.

Get a bigger heart.

Be prepared for a smell!!! It's not pleasant.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    Options
    I'm doing to take him to the groomer tomorrow, so she can do it. Then, I will make him an appointment with the vet if the problem persists.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Get a big dog.

Common problem for German shepherds too.... But thanks for playing.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Get a big dog.

Like this guy? Would YOU like to try and get him off your girlfriend when he starts humping her...?

big_dog.jpg
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Get a big dog.

Common problem for German shepherds too.... But thanks for playing.

Yup, my parents' Blue Heeler gets it toom as did their Kelpie
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Ugh, yeah you got the right advice (& yeah it's normal).

Love dogs, but don't miss owning one.
  • TheWiseCat
    TheWiseCat Posts: 297
    Options
    You can definitely do it yourself. Dogs and cats are the same in this respect. One of my cats gets impacted glands every month or so. I express the glands (clean them out) and then apply hemorrhoid cream for a few days to ease the irritation.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    My dog is medium - she gets those things all the time! Usually once every 2 months or so. First sign of course, is her rubbing her bum on the carpet. Her bum will smell bad too all the time...and especially when those things pop - WHEW! watch out for that!
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    It sounds more like full anal glands than impacted ones, since fluid is coming out, but I guess it could be. Some dogs (and cats) frequently have to have these expressed by a vet or vet tech, some never do. It has nothing to do with the size of the dog, all breeds have anal glands unless they've been surgically removed. If he seems to be in pain, I would have that taken care of sooner rather than later - the procedure will be less nice the more uncomfortable he is to start with, and besides, pain could indicate that something more is going on, such as an impaction, an abscess, etc.
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I'm doing to take him to the groomer tomorrow, so she can do it. Then, I will make him an appointment with the vet if the problem persists.
    your dog needs a vet not a groomer
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    my cat randomly excretes her own anal glands just walking around. every time she does, it lands on my husband. every single time. usually near his mouth. its hilarious.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    Options
    your dog needs a vet not a groomer

I know that. The groomer cleans his anal glands. I'd rather pay twenty dollars to try and solve the problem, then pay a vet two hundred dollars to do the same thing. Did you not notice that I said if the problem persists, I will take him to the vet? :flowerforyou: