Healthy French Toast or Pancake Recipes?

DrWho93
DrWho93 Posts: 2
I really love breakfast foods, mainly because they're some of the easiest to make and the tastiest to eat. Does anyone have any low-cal recipes for French toast or pancakes? Or if that's asking too much, tips or ingredient substitutes to lower the calorie count?

Replies

• kendallsauntie
    kendallsauntie Posts: 101 Member
    I'm bumping this!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    If you're willing to get out of the norm on your thoughts of pancakes, I make myself oatmeal pancakes nearly every day. They are super filling and satisfying and have a good chunk of protein as well.

To make them I take one banana (any size but weigh or measure it or whatever for accurate calorie count. About 90-110 calorie ones are the best) and mash it up as much as possible.

I then add 1/3 cup egg whites or normal egg beaters (you can just do 2 eggs for more calories/fat), 1/2 cup rolled oats, and whatever else I want. Also, usually about a tablespoon of cinnamon to keep them from being bland. Most of the time I do 2 tablespoons of PB2 and 50 grams (about 1/3 of a cup) of blueberries. I then stir it up and cook them like pancakes (though they do take a few extra minutes).

They come out to 360ish calories with 63 carbs, 5 grams of fat, 21 grams of protein, and >250 mg of sodium. I stay full for hours afterwards and they taste great!
  • DrWho93
    DrWho93 Posts: 2
    PB2?
  • xALEXANDROx
    xALEXANDROx Posts: 3,416 Member
    If you're willing to get out of the norm on your thoughts of pancakes, I make myself oatmeal pancakes nearly every day. They are super filling and satisfying and have a good chunk of protein as well.

To make them I take one banana (any size but weigh or measure it or whatever for accurate calorie count. About 90-110 calorie ones are the best) and mash it up as much as possible.

I then add 1/3 cup egg whites or normal egg beaters (you can just do 2 eggs for more calories/fat), 1/2 cup rolled oats, and whatever else I want. Also, usually about a tablespoon of cinnamon to keep them from being bland. Most of the time I do 2 tablespoons of PB2 and 50 grams (about 1/3 of a cup) of blueberries. I then stir it up and cook them like pancakes (though they do take a few extra minutes).

They come out to 360ish calories with 63 carbs, 5 grams of fat, 21 grams of protein, and >250 mg of sodium. I stay full for hours afterwards and they taste great!

looks great ..will try out.thanks also,
  • teamiconic
    teamiconic Posts: 141 Member
    Just youtube protein pancakes there are tons of videos, where people use protein powder eggs, oat flower and pumpkin ect, in different combinations. You just have to find a recipe that speaks to you. Bon Appetit
  • ashlinmarie
    PB2?

Powdered Peanut butter..it is just dehydrated with less cals. You can easily do without it or just top with a little natural peanut butter.
  • bobbiboo24
    bobbiboo24 Posts: 44 Member
    bump
  • ashlinmarie
    Since no one else....

You can make French Toast lower calorie by using a lower calorie bread, substituting egg whites for eggs and then just using cinnamon and a little imitation vanilla in the batter mix.
  • apgant
    apgant Posts: 82 Member
    Something quick and simple.........Sara Lee brown sugar and cinnamon bread. Pop it in the toaster. I use the Mrs Butterworth's sugar free syrup. Bread is 100 calories per slice and syrup is 20 calories per 1/4 cup.
  • kelleyannclemons
    kelleyannclemons Posts: 71 Member
    Pancakes - Bisquick Heart Smart Blueberry Pancakes are very good and low in calories. The recipe is on the box and it makes 8 pancakes at 70 calories each pancake. (i eat with either of the following reduced calorie syrup, a banana, or a "syrup" made by taking a frozen bag of fruit and thawing then mashing the berries into a sauce)

French Toast - This was stated before...Village Hearth makes delicious 40 calorie per slice bread. I use only egg whites with my french toast. To change it up, try the following recipe I came up with:

Stuffed French Toast

2 slices 40 cal bread
    1 oz softened 1/3 fat cream cheese
    ½ tbsp powdered sugar
    Dash cinnamon
    Diced Fresh fruit (strawberries, blueberries, peaches, or other of choice)
    2 Egg whites

Mix the cream cheese and powdered sugar, then add the fruit (as much or as little as desired). Spread the mixture carefully on one slice of the bread, sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon, and top with the other slice. Soak each side in egg whites and allow to set for about 10 minutes to allow it to soak into the bread (2 egg whites whisked well should be plenty. You could also use the All Whites brand egg whites in a carton. They would probably soak into the bread better and faster so you wouldn’t have to let it sit long). Put in a pan on medium and cook fully on both sides.
  • mer1441
    mer1441 Posts: 35 Member
    Pancakes that I make are nice :) I put in 1 banana, 2 eggs (use eggs whites only if preferred, but i like using the whole egg), almond milk and if it needs it some almond flour and 1 tsp of baking powder - whether this fits your idea of healthy i don't know but i prefer them than the blogilates banana pancakes which are just 1 banana and 2 eggs as they never work for me!
    Good luck! :smile:
    EDIT : heres a link to some protein pancakes : http://www.blogilates.com/recipe-index/low-carb-high-protein-pancakes
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Use whole grain bread for your French toast, Pam spray in the pan and fruit instead of syrup. Keep everything else about your normal recipe the same. If you make baked French toast, similar to bread pudding, you can bake the fruit right in.

For pancakes, add wheat or oat bran to your normal recipe. You can also add fruit to the batter: blueberries are famous, apples are cheaper.

The only thing wrong with these foods is that we tend to use over processed flour and a bunch of sugar.
  • lazarii
    lazarii Posts: 1
    I really like this frech toast recipe: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/12/eggnog-french-toast.html

A serving of 2 slices has 167 calories (there are other nutritional info if you click the link)

:smile:
  • leholcomb
    leholcomb Posts: 146 Member
    Bump
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    I know it sounds icky (unless you love spaghetti squash), but spaghetti squash pancakes are delish!!!

Spaghetti Squash Pancakes
    Ingredients
     1 cup cooked spaghetti squash
     2 eggs
     1/4 cup whole wheat flour (white flour can be used)
     salt + pepper, to taste
     Pam Cooking Spray
    Instructions
    1. Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and blend well.
    2. Heat a small skillet on the stovetop, add cooking spray.
    3. Pour in batter, and spread into a disk with a spoon.
    4. Cook pancake slowly on medium heat for about 3-6 minutes (or when batter starts to bubble) and then flip.
    5. Continue to cook for 2-3 minutes on the other side. Repeat with remaining batter.
    6. Serve warm, with an extra pat of butter if desired.

Serves 2

Cal Carb Fat Prot Sodium
    Total: 284 32 11 17 308
    Per Serving: 142 16 6 9 154
  • JayElleOh
    JayElleOh Posts: 61
    bump
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    I am absolutely in LOVE with almond pancakes. The recipe below makes about six 4.5-inch pancakes. Your calorie count depends on how many you eat (as written below, its about 283 calories for 2 pancakes). I am more than satisfied with 2-3 pancakes. They are very low carb and have a great protein punch.

Combine the following in a large bowl and stir briskly to form a batter:
    1 cup (about 75-100g) finely ground almonds
    1 egg
    1/4 cup chia gel (or use an additional egg....I dont like a super eggy flavor, so I do half egg, half chia gel)
    1/4 cup water or unsweetened almond milk
    1/2 tsp olive oil
    1-2 tsp sweetener (to taste)
    1 tsp cinnamon (optional, but I add)
    1 tsp vanilla extract (optional, but I add)
    Salt to taste

I top mine with a bit of Vermont Sugar Free maple syrup. Yummmmm!
  • kelmcfar
    kelmcfar Posts: 63
    EASIEST RECIPE EVER annd super good(: Banana protein pancakes!! 1 Banana and 2 eggs. THAT'S IT. Seriously, that easy and they taste so natural and good! Give it a try(:
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Generally when I make pancakes I want to be quick about it so I use a box mix, I like trader joe's multigrain baking mix and I add a scoop of vanilla protein to the batter. My boyfriend didn't even notice =) I want to try the ones with banana but come Sunday morning I'm too lazy lol
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I really love breakfast foods, mainly because they're some of the easiest to make and the tastiest to eat. Does anyone have any low-cal recipes for French toast or pancakes? Or if that's asking too much, tips or ingredient substitutes to lower the calorie count?

How low cal? There are lower calorie breads available for french toast, and using egg whites only instead of whole eggs would lower it. There are sugar free syrups available that are very low calorie (though I have no idea what they taste like).