I can't do it

Options
I've put on one and a half stone through binge eating majorly through the 6 weeks, i use to not be bothered by chocolate/sweets etc, now i have huge cravings all the time. I am now at the stage where i cant sleep at night because i am worried i am not able to lose it (i have been trying for the last 6 weeks, i seem to be ok for a couple of days then go back to my old ways, for example, this weekend i was good and eat sensibly then this morning, i have eaten over 1000 cals just on breakfast eating junk, i am not sure whether it is connected to going to work). Non of my clothes fit anymore, most embarrassingly my work clothes don't fit, i can't even get my trousers up never mind do the button up!

I worked so so hard for it to come off in the first place, it took me months of hard work and willpower.

I don't believe I can do it again :-(

Replies

• VickyG1ll1es
    Options
    Hi - sounds like it's triggered by work anxiety - what do you think? you've done it once - of course you can do it again.
  • jackdaniels1234123
    jackdaniels1234123 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm maybe thinking it is.

Do you think i would be better on a programme, say slim fast for example, where i know exactly what i am going to eat ?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Sounds like anxiety eating, I do it too. I joke that I'm trying to stuff enough food into my tummy to squish the butterflies.

I've had to take steps to deal with the anxiety, and just keep reminding myself that eating isn't going to help the anxiety and in fact will make it worse. I have also come to realise that part of my anxiety is from not feeling in control, and that by controlling my eating, I gain a measure of that back and it is something I can feel good about in the bigger picture of stress.

For starters, try planning ahead. Set out exactly what you will eat each day. It helps you stay on track, and also gives you something to concentrate on (I find that having something to focus on lessens the stress). The anxiety eating is part of a spiral, and if you can get it under control, you'll be amazed how much of that control washes back into the rest of day to day life :)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I'd be visiting the doctor and along about therapy to get to the root cause and deal with it
    Slim fast would probably make you feel more deprived and disheartened! Set yourself some reasonable numbers, even if that's maintenance and slowly easeback in few hundred calories lower per week maybe?

Zara..
  • WrenTheCoffeeAddict
    WrenTheCoffeeAddict Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Writing on this board is the first step. You have a wealth of support right here.
    You know you can do it. There is part of your brain that is sabotaging you - fight.
    If it knocks you down, you need to get back up and keep fighting - I promise you there is an end.
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should start yourself off again with something very structured. Like maybe go cold turkey on the sweet stuff for two weeks. Write it down somewhere and tell other people you're doing it too. We are better at making small changes, and your body will stop craving the sugar so much after a couple of days off it.

Just a suggestion. Best of luck.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The most important thing you can do is not quit. Mess up today, try again tomorrow. Eventually, the good days begin to outnumber the bad, even if it doesn't feel like they ever will. Then you will get momentum going and you will succeed.
  • pradnya1972
    Options
    Worrying with anxiety will only worsen it.Do you know that it's difficult to loose weight with sleepless nights.keep a diary of what you eat, time period of your workout and reasons for anxities and worries.Make a list of your fears,anxities on a paper and tear it and enjoy life care free.:smile often.LOVE YOURSELF.
    Be positive,the moment you feel like eating drink water.It might curb your hungerDo deep breathing.Take care.Trust yourself.You can do it!!!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Read what all these lovely caring people told you not once but twice then try it all. Fake food like shakes will teach you zero about what to do for life. Many great ideas here.
  • dladisheff
    Options
    You can do it again....it's just that eating monster inside you that's telling you that you can't. Tell him to take a hike and take all of his negative stuff with him. Try to get a regular pattern of eating going...,.you know, breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack and then log everything single thing you eat. You will see patterns which you can then work on changing.

I have a protein shake with fruit every morning and that works well for me but I wouldn't recommend SlimFast....too much sugar/carbs. And you shouldn't do it for all your meals anyways....that's not real.

You are worth it, you deserve the good things associated with normal weight, so get back up and do it again. You only fail if you stay down.

Donna L.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast will make you feel deprived....you need real food.

Take it slowly. Tomorrow, swap one unhealthy food item for something healthy; after a couple of days change 2 items; every couple of days just try and change one more until you eating healthily virtually all the time. Try not to have sweets and chocolates, etc in the house if you know you're going to be tempted. Go for a walk if tou can instead of succumbing to treats. If it is work related, see if there is somehow you can share the workload.

Don't give up!!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast will make you feel deprived....you need real food.

Take it slowly. Tomorrow, swap one unhealthy food item for something healthy; after a couple of days change 2 items; every couple of days just try and change one more until you are eating healthily virtually all the time. Try not to have sweets and chocolates, etc in the house if you know you're going to be tempted. Go for a walk if you can instead of succumbing to treats. If it is work related, see if there is somehow you can share the workload.

Don't give up!!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Oops....sorry for the double post!
  • mechalovechimp
    Options
    We've all been there. The hardest part is finding motivation... that's why most of us signed up for this site in the first place. Sometimes its not that easy to muster up the will power to move forward but if you really want to put things in perspective, watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

I watch that video every time I need perspective... and not just with exercise.

Trust me. You can do it.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I know that feeling. I feel 100 times better at work this week after having bought some new pairs of pants to be a bit more comfortable.

Also, I've found that cutting out sugar/sweets is the easiest way to get back to the point where you aren't craving it anymore.
  • kkaci5
    kkaci5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Well ... I've looked over your diary for about a week ... and if I had all the sweet stuff in my house that you have I wouldn't be able to lose either.

Initially, I had NO willpower. If it was in the house, it went down the hatch :-). I actually have "willpower" for most things now . I started logging in January.

Please don't diet ... you're going to have to start changing some habits. The level of sugar you are eating is putting you at risk for Type 2 diabetes ... and the more sugar you eat, the more you are going to want. It's the spikes and drops in your blood sugar that are causing you to want more, and more ... and those spikes and drops will contribute to eventual insulin resistance.

Edited to add: make sure your following your sugar, and make use of a new habit -- logging your day BEFORE you start eating. (Or at least each meal). When you follow your sugar on here, you will go over even eating fruit ... but make SURE you don't go over the recommended sugar from added sugars.

What I did when I started was get rid of junk in the house completely, and start reducing sugar where I added it to stuff. I bought coconut sugar (lower on the glycemic index) and used that for a while -- I'm back to using just honey in my main sweet treat :-). We stopped buying soda in November, and I find the stuff gross now :-P. Hard to imagine that statement coming from a cola addict. I do have treats occasionally, but I make sure I know what a serving size is BEFORE I indulge (who knew that a serving size of ice cream was only 0.5 cups -- not a heaping cereal bowl :-P). On days I exercise, that ice cream fits in just fine :-). I also reduced all simple carbs, and switched my macros to fairly low carb, eating more protein. Eating more protein will help keep you fuller and from wanting to constantly eat. The ratio I use, I found recommended here on MFP -- 40/30/30 (rather than the setting they use which is 55/?/?.

Edited to add: Just went back and realized you are on a 1200 calorie a day diet. That's low. You're going to end up hungry (and it's not nearly enough if you are exercising as well -- please eat those calories back). Your body is going to tell you to eat junk to catch up. If I were you I'd search for "In place of a road map" or "Why 1200 calories isn't enough" at the community. OR if you want, I have these linked in my blog and you can add me as a friend and just get the links there. You have to understand the concept of basal metabolic rate -- the amount of fuel that your body needs to exist in a coma -- mine is about 1499 calories. Eating less than that plus getting out of bed to do anything in the morning means you aren't fueling your body to do what you are expecting it to do.

Sorry. I've written a novel. Oops. Out for now.
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    How did you lose the weight in the first place? Was it through a very low calorie diet and/or overworking yourself or a reasonable calorie deficit? If it were the first then you might be suffering the side effects of deprivation! If it were the latter then I'd say focus on the positives and making gradual progress. Little changes a day (100calories less than yesterday, or eating an apple instead of a chocolate bar) will accumulate. You have a lifetime to diet, be patient and do it sustainably!!

Keep all binge trigger/junk foods out of the home. When you don't have it you'll be less likely to binge.

Keep a journal and find out when you binge, what you binge on, and why you do so! If you can find the root of the problem then you have a better chance at solving it!!

Stay strong!!
  • Supern0va81
    Supern0va81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've put on one and a half stone through binge eating majorly through the 6 weeks, i use to not be bothered by chocolate/sweets etc, now i have huge cravings all the time. I am now at the stage where i cant sleep at night because i am worried i am not able to lose it (i have been trying for the last 6 weeks, i seem to be ok for a couple of days then go back to my old ways, for example, this weekend i was good and eat sensibly then this morning, i have eaten over 1000 cals just on breakfast eating junk, i am not sure whether it is connected to going to work). Non of my clothes fit anymore, most embarrassingly my work clothes don't fit, i can't even get my trousers up never mind do the button up!

I worked so so hard for it to come off in the first place, it took me months of hard work and willpower.

I don't believe I can do it again :-(

You sound just like me on a 'hard' day. I'd binge, feel sad, sleep, and do it all over again. Now I aim to sleep when I feel like overeating. I don't always overeat but when I do I know how to manage it and what i really need.

Also, what did you wear yesterday/last week - the weight couldn't have come on overnight! If you need new clothes and can afford to binge eat then perhaps see each binge as a missed opportunity to put the money towards new clothes instead. Harsh, but true.

I found success from initially planning to eat exactly what I wanted in portion sizes that would enable me to reach my MFP caloric intake goals. That way I still had a bit of exactly what I wanted in every bite. Today is my 105th day of logging. It hasn't got any easier, but I have got better at balancing my craving/binges and developing strategies to cope - one day isn't going to undo 105 days of effort, but 50 would... you get the picture. Keep logging accurately and precisely.

Break down your goals, have what you want, teach yourself about nutrition, realize what junk food is really doing to your body and what is actually in it that makes you crave it more - get reading, labels too! If you don't understand what the label says, google the word to understand it. You will soon click on to what you want v's what you need (nutritionally) which will then eventually become what you want.

This principle is based on clean eating: meat and veg, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch, and no sugar. Expect results from patience and persistence - and expect to feel like rubbish from eating rubbish. :wink:
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as of January :( Everyone gets slimmer with their resolutions, I porked out
  • mrsjoyw
    mrsjoyw Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Yes you can do it! I can relate with you. I joined WW a few years ago and lost almost 40 pounds. My mother was diagnosed with cancer in July 2011 and she died three weeks later. We had no time to process her illness or what was happening because it was happening at such a fast pace.

After she died I simply gave up and grief was killing me. Well long story short, I gained at least 30 pounds back. After realizing that I was heading for a sure crash and burn I sought help. I joined a gym. Let me tell you, the THRILL I get from seeing myself lifting weights!!! OMG!! No I'm not power lifting or anything like that, it's the simple fact that I decided to stop the runaway train and my course of life has changed FOR THE BETTER! I've been at this for 4 weeks now, can i see great physical results? No, not quite yet but do I feel better mentally? LORD GOD IN HEAVEN YES!!! YEEEEEEESSSS!!!

I'm looking down the road, I see myself looking better, I see myself smiling and laughing. This is NOT the end for me. As much as I felt it was I had to ask, Is this all I get? I wanted better. Now I LOOK FORWARD to packing my gym bag because I know I'm getting ready to do something good for ME! Ok I'm starting to work myself up into some tears (of JOY) so I'm going to stop and say, I hope you are encouraged. As long as you wake up to another day, you have ANOTHER CHANCE! Take it! Take it and RUN!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    You can do it!
    It isn't easy, we all know that. Sometimes it is easier to just give up and give in to satisfy ourselves with food.
    Keep your eye on the small goals. A month from now, your clothes will fit better, you will feel better about yourself and be on the way to where you want to be with your weight issues.
    One day at a time. They add up to success.