Could anyone take a look at my diary :)

Options
Hi,
I'm trying to make as many healthy changes as I can. However, I get to around 8pm and find I still have 200-300, sometimes 400 calories left, and as I don't want to be under, I find myself eating a chocolate bar to get it to my limit.

I think I'm overdoing the carbs as well, and even with the chocolate not getting to my fat limit. I know some say that as long as it;s within your calories its ok, and most of my day is healthy, but 400 calories is nearly a quarter of my daily calorie allowance.

I am going to stick with one 100 calorie treat a day, usually a pack of Walkers Baked crisps. I've only been on MFP for a week so there aren't many entries. I was just wondering if anyone would please mind having a quick look and offering some suggestions to get the carbs down and maybe some healthy fat in?

Many thanks!

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of "diet" stuff in your diary: skimmed milk, extra light Laughing Cow wedges, light mayo, fat-free yogurt. Switch those up to fuller-fat versions and you can easily add a few hundred calories--and feel fuller on the same amount of food, as fat is very satiating. You could also add butter (look for some from grass-fed cows, like Kerrygold) to your toast and have a dip or salad dressing with your carrots.

Don't be afraid of fat--it is absolutely necessary for healthy functioning and vitamin absorption, and as long as you stay within your calorie limit, it cannot and will not make you gain weight. When I look at my macros, I treat the protein and fat goals as minimum, then let the carbs fill in the rest. I think that once you're eating more fat, your carbs will go down naturally. You'll feel fuller, so won't need to snack.

On the subject of feeling fuller, make sure your calories are set to where you need them. A lot of days you're netting under 1200, which can make you hungry and want to snack on its own--and is really hard to sustain long term for most people. Check out In Place of a Road Map for more info on setting healthy goals: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0
  • melissa112
    melissa112 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of "diet" stuff in your diary: skimmed milk, extra light Laughing Cow wedges, light mayo, fat-free yogurt. Switch those up to fuller-fat versions and you can easily add a few hundred calories--and feel fuller on the same amount of food, as fat is very satiating. You could also add butter (look for some from grass-fed cows, like Kerrygold) to your toast and have a dip or salad dressing with your carrots.

Don't be afraid of fat--it is absolutely necessary for healthy functioning and vitamin absorption, and as long as you stay within your calorie limit, it cannot and will not make you gain weight. When I look at my macros, I treat the protein and fat goals as minimum, then let the carbs fill in the rest. I think that once you're eating more fat, your carbs will go down naturally. You'll feel fuller, so won't need to snack.

On the subject of feeling fuller, make sure your calories are set to where you need them. A lot of days you're netting under 1200, which can make you hungry and want to snack on its own--and is really hard to sustain long term for most people. Check out In Place of a Road Map for more info on setting healthy goals: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0

Hi,

Thank you for that! I didn't even think of switching the 'diet' foods. I think I just got into that habit when I lost weight last time. And yes butter would be nice on my toast, instead of having it dry :( My boiled eggs on toast weren't as enjoyable dry!

I have set my calories using the links you sent me. I did that at the start of last week. My own fault for not eating back up all of my exercise cals. I mentioned on another thread, that I was using runkeeper to record my calories walking for around 4-7 miles a day. I take the total it gives me and halve that amount. I did day 1 of 30DS yesterday and only put down 100 cals for that. Maybe I need to get a HRM.

Thanks for the tips!
  • rubypond
    rubypond Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people say don't eat below your daily calories. Whether it is good or bad if you do, I couldn't tell you, but I will tell you that I never eat the 1200 calories that I am supposed to. I usually end up anywhere from 400-500 calories short for the day.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    What your sodium, some days you are way over.

I have decided as of today to keep fresh pineapple in the fridge for the days when I am low on calories, especially for the hours after 7/8 p.m.
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people say don't eat below your daily calories. Whether it is good or bad if you do, I couldn't tell you, but I will tell you that I never eat the 1200 calories that I am supposed to. I usually end up anywhere from 400-500 calories short for the day.

I'm going to direct you here on what this will do (older topic on the boards):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

@melissa112

I think you're doing just fine. If anything, watch your sodium levels or else you might get false scale readings from water retention. Those diet meals usually come packed with it for preservative and taste.

Also, if you're not much of a runner, I'd say cut back on the carbs if possible. Doesn't seem appealing to everyone, but maybe 100g-150g max a day. You'll see a more linear weight loss over time IMHO
  • rubypond
    rubypond Posts: 41 Member
    Options

@melissa112

I think you're doing just fine. If anything, watch your sodium levels or else you might get false scale readings from water retention. Those diet meals usually come packed with it for preservative and taste.

Also, if you're not much of a runner, I'd say cut back on the carbs if possible. Doesn't seem appealing to everyone, but maybe 100g-150g max a day. You'll see a more linear weight loss over time IMHO

Thank you for that, it was a very interesting article. I just can't eat 1200 calories a day, no matter how hard I try it just won't happen. I think the most I have ever been able to get down is 750 and that was feeling way to full for my taste.
  • hamasehfallah
    Options
    I think your daily calorie intake might be too low (i dont know how tall you are though or how much you weigh....) while this would result in weight loss at first you'd eventually stall out

Go here:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Enter your info (be honest with yourself about activity level, dont over or under estimate). Figure out your TDEE, eat at a 20% deficit of that.

If you are an active individual and you workout, i would suggest changing your Protein/fat/Carb ratio to 30% protein, 40% carb and 30% fat in your MFP settings. Then just eat accordingly to try and fit those macros/calories.

I'd try and steer away from "diet" stuff. Its usually loaded with sodium.

foods you can include to better hit your calories/macros:
    protein powders
    all natural nut butters
    more lean meat
    whole eggs
    ezekial bread
    avocados

i also suggest buying a food scale to get an accurate measure of how much you are eating, as traditional measuring cups usually are over
  • hamasehfallah
    Options

@melissa112

Thank you for that, it was a very interesting article. I just can't eat 1200 calories a day, no matter how hard I try it just won't happen. I think the most I have ever been able to get down is 750 and that was feeling way to full for my taste.

You can't eat over 1200 calories aday? The most you've ever been able to get down is 750? I do not mean this in a rude way AT ALL, but honestly, you did not gain the weight that you are trying to lose by eating only 750 calories a day. 750 calories a day is what 105lb anorexics eat. By eating this much you are just wreaking havoc on your metabolism and once you go back to eating whatever you used to eat, you'll just gain more weight.

I suggest going to the site i listed above to figure out what you REALLY need to be eating, then reverse dieting until you are eating those calories.
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options

foods you can include to better hit your calories/macros:
    protein powders
    all natural nut butters
    more lean meat
    whole eggs
    ezekial bread
    avocados

Also, try coconut oil and olive oils mixed in with pretty much all your foods. It can go in shakes, cooked with meats/eggs, and salads.

Put a teaspoon of coconut oil in leftovers to get rid of the dry taste of microwaved meat. Really brings it to life again
  • melissa112
    Options
    Thanks all for the tips.

I have already calculated my calories, I'm 5'2, 154lbs, and used sedentary as my exercise, and just eat back my exercise cals (6-7 miles walking a day, and 30DS). My BMR was 1273 and TDEE was 1527.6 so with 20% deficit I should be eating 1222, plus any exercise calories back, which i am doing, but just that last 300 cals I need to replace with better choices.

I will add some of the foods you have all suggested to my diary and I should be sorted!

Thank you all!
  • Springfield_Rocks
    Options

^^^^ ALL THIS

Great post!
  • b4u386
    b4u386 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the tips.

I have already calculated my calories, I'm 5'2, 154lbs, and used sedentary as my exercise, and just eat back my exercise cals (6-7 miles walking a day, and 30DS). My BMR was 1273 and TDEE was 1527.6 so with 20% deficit I should be eating 1222, plus any exercise calories back, which i am doing, but just that last 300 cals I need to replace with better choices.

I will add some of the foods you have all suggested to my diary and I should be sorted!

Thank you all!

Which calculator did you use? I just did your calculations and even at 'sedentary' (which noone should use unless in bed all day) your BMR is 1512.9 and your TDEE is around 1800. Also, as you don't have a lot to lose you should probably be eating at a 15% deficit rather than a 20%.

I only say all of this because our stats are very similar, and I'm at 1550 (and eat back exercise calories on top of that).

Add nuts and natural peanut butter to your diet.
  • Requiembell
    Requiembell Posts: 106 Member
    Options

@melissa112

You can't eat over 1200 calories aday? The most you've ever been able to get down is 750? I do not mean this in a rude way AT ALL, but honestly, you did not gain the weight that you are trying to lose by eating only 750 calories a day. 750 calories a day is what 105lb anorexics eat. By eating this much you are just wreaking havoc on your metabolism and once you go back to eating whatever you used to eat, you'll just gain more weight.

I suggest going to the site i listed above to figure out what you REALLY need to be eating, then reverse dieting until you are eating those calories.

pay attention to this post. this girl knows what she is saying. it is dead right on.
  • freebird777
    Options
    I just recently went to see a nutritionist, and she changed my mind completely about "fat free" or "lowfat" dairy and other misc. foods. For the past week, I've not only changed to full fat versions of those foods (in moderation of course), but I've also included more nutritionally dense foods such as rolled oats for bfast instead of fat free yogurt, sweet potatoes, salads packed with different toppings, homemade dressings, etc. I can easily hit 1700 now...and on whole, healthy foods. Tons of fruit, veggies, natural grains, and lean protein. It can be done! And you will feel so much more fantastic than when eating diet foods.
  • melissa112
    Options

@melissa112

pay attention to this post. this girl knows what she is saying. it is dead right on.

Thanks but I don't think she was replying to me :) Just to the other person who couldn't eat more than 750 cals a day.
  • melissa112
    Options
    Thanks all for the tips.

Thank you all!

Which calculator did you use? I just did your calculations and even at 'sedentary' (which noone should use unless in bed all day) your BMR is 1512.9 and your TDEE is around 1800. Also, as you don't have a lot to lose you should probably be eating at a 15% deficit rather than a 20%.

I only say all of this because our stats are very similar, and I'm at 1550 (and eat back exercise calories on top of that).

Add nuts and natural peanut butter to your diet.

I only used sedentary as I wasn't too sure on my activity level, and I would rather use sedentary and eat back the exercise calories because I can calculate them more accurately than just saying I am a certain activity level if that makes sense? My activities vary from day to day, 4 days I week I walk 6-7 miles and am doing 30DS. 2 days I only walk 3 miles and do 30DS, one day I don't do anything.

I used the fat2fit ratio, but as I know my body fat is around 40% I could enter that, and my BMR came to 1273? I'd hate to be doing it wrong.
  • melissa112
    Options
    I just recently went to see a nutritionist, and she changed my mind completely about "fat free" or "lowfat" dairy and other misc. foods. For the past week, I've not only changed to full fat versions of those foods (in moderation of course), but I've also included more nutritionally dense foods such as rolled oats for bfast instead of fat free yogurt, sweet potatoes, salads packed with different toppings, homemade dressings, etc. I can easily hit 1700 now...and on whole, healthy foods. Tons of fruit, veggies, natural grains, and lean protein. It can be done! And you will feel so much more fantastic than when eating diet foods.

I think I am going to change also, after the advice on here. What other nutrionally dense foods did your nutritionist suggest if you don;t mind me asking :)
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options

Lots of great input here already. You might have to read it more than once to fully understand it but this is great information to go by. Learn, and apply it! Good luck!
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend adding healthy fats (nuts, nut butters, olive oil) to let you reach your calorie goal and eat back your exercise calories in a more healthful way than adding candy. Dark chocolate is also a good option if you're craving chocolate and want a healthier fix!
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I see that you eat a banana almost every day with breakfast. If you add tbsp of peanut butter to that banana it would not only be delicious, but would give you about an extra 80-100 calories (depending on brand) with healthy fats and some protein :) I am usually over on carbs and way under on fat as well. Over the past couple of days I have been really trying to get better at getting healthy fats in. I believe my diary is open if you want any ideas. Good luck!