help getting started jogging

I read so many different ways people jog. Friday I tried. I normaly can walk at a 4mph on the treadmill for 3 to 4 miles no problem... I warmed one lap and then I stepped it up to 5mph. I jogged maybe 3/4 of a lap and then I felt like I was going to die... went to a 4mph and then walked until I caught my breath then Jogged some more... did this until I did my 25 minutes. (for my workout partner was doing a video then we switched. She did so much better than I ) Is this a good start? Pointers really appreciated please.

Replies

• melissa73
    melissa73 Posts: 368
    I read so many different ways people jog. Friday I tried. I normaly can walk at a 4mph on the treadmill for 3 to 4 miles no problem... I warmed one lap and then I stepped it up to 5mph. I jogged maybe 3/4 of a lap and then I felt like I was going to die... went to a 4mph and then walked until I caught my breath then Jogged some more... did this until I did my 25 minutes. (for my workout partner was doing a video then we switched. She did so much better than I ) Is this a good start? Pointers really appreciated please.
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    i'm not sure about treadmills..is a 4 on the treadmill 4 Mph?
    Jogging is always so much harder than walking because it employs alot more muscles in your legs and even upper body, and mostly lungs. I started out with the speed walking, then moved to jogging for as long as i could stand it (usually about 2-3 minutes for me), then walking it out, then starting to jog again, back and forth etc. I still cant jog for very long at a time, but now i think its more because im top heavy and not because of endurance problems. i dont know if this helps but i am interested to see what others have to say.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    I personally don't like the treadmill. I saw when you are out on the open road and you are "lightly jogging" pick a spot up ahead to sprint to, jog slow once you get to that mark, and continue this will build up your endurance/speed.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Actually....that will burn more calories than just walking..or just running. So, although it may feel like you are being "beat" by the jogging...keep in mind that the variations of speed burn more calories than one solid speed. Keep doing what you're doing...sounds like you're doing great!
  • ToTheLove
    ToTheLove Posts: 357
    Yeah, I think that sounds great! You'll start to notice that those times when you are jogging will get alot easier and longer as you go. I would maybe try setting goals for yourself. Like "Today, I'm going to run at 2 minute intervals" and when you just walk until you're recovered. Then after that.. 'I'm going to run at 2.5 minute intervals" etc. That way you can really challenge yourself to progress. And if by the end of your workout you just can't do it... do it anyway! :flowerforyou: The harder you push, the more you'll progress. I think you're doing great!
  • Of course it is more difficult to jog than to walk! :smile: But don't put so much pressure on yourself and think that what you did was not beneficial or compare yourself to your friend. Everyone is different and within that difference, you will find that some have an easier time with certain activities than others.

Interval training is incredibly good for your body and is one of the best ways to build up your endurance. Since you are just beginning, I would recommend that you warm up for one lap, jog 1/2 lap, walk at a brisk pace the next half and alternate between jogging and walking each 1/2 lap for however many miles you set a goal to do. If you find the 1/2 lap jog difficult, then do the alternating every 1/4 lap, while going from 4.0 to 5.0. Depending on how many days you do this, it should only take a few weeks for you to notice your endurance increasing and then you can lengthen the alternating segments. I love to do intervals because it allows me to set short goals (run at 6.0 for .25 laps then up to 6.5 for the next .25 laps and back down, etc) and it takes my mind off of thinking about having to run 5 or more miles at once and before I know it, I have achieved my goal. I usually do my runs on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday and for two weeks I remain at the same distance/speed, then the third week, I up both the distance and speed. This seems to work really well for me and doesn't seem to be too hard on my system. Of course, there are definitely days when I am more fatigued or feel like I may not be able to finish, but I do and feel so much better afterwards!
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

This is to a beginning running site - at the bottom of the page it has a schedule to begin running. I've made up my own based on checking out several sites like this - google running beginner - lots of good info!
  • melissa73
    Thanks every one for the good advice. I will eventually run a whole mile... Thanks again
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    I run only on the treadmill and I was walking a steady 4mph for a long time then I decided to start running so I started by only going to a very light jog, 4.5mph and tried to maintain that for a lap then I would walk for a lap and repeat.

I have these cardio cds that I love, cardio coach, they are all interval cds that I loaded on the ipod and now I am up to 6 mph for the intervals and 4.5 for the "rest". you just have to work your way into it and when you think you are ready for the next level start trying to finish half a lap at the next level. YOu will get there, I prefer running on the dreadmill vs. walking, I just feel like I get more done.
  • MontanaGirl
    Just a question out of idle curiousity - what is a lap considered on a treadmill?? My parents have one, but I don't and have never used one. The concept of a "lap" on a stationary piece of equipment kind of boggles my mind :laugh: Of course, that may be because it is kind of on the puny side . . .:laugh:
  • melissa73
    Again thanks everyone... I am going to try it today... 1/2 lap is 400 meters.. 4 laps = mile.. My treadmill has a I-pod plug in and believe it or not I like to listen to my daughters music. Hip hop and others But I have my favorites on there too...:laugh:
  • MontanaGirl
    Oh - same measurement at a standard track. I guess I forgot that it tracks distance too!! Thanks :happy: