Wasn't it just a matter of staying under the calorie limit?

Options
It's only my third week and I gained weight. I thought it was just a matter of staying under the calorie limit?

What did I do wrong? Went from 245.4 to 246.

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Your sodium on Saturday was over 4600. That alone would cause a gain. Weigh again in a few days after you have flushed all that out.

Other than that, its possible you are overestimating your calories burned. I saw 1280....unless that was a 90 minute run, seems high.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    There are many factors in weight loss. Have you added in more exercise? Because with increased exercise, your body can actually put on weight from gaining muscle. This is a good thing, don't worry! The more muscle mass you have, the more calories you burn.

How many calories are you eating each day, roughly? Eating way below your targeted amount of calories per day can actually lead to weight gain, not loss. Believe me, this happened to me! It's because your body will hold onto all the calories it can because it doesn't think it's being fed enough to function. So it'll burn less. Our bodies are very resilient.

Please describe exactly what you're doing calorie and exercise-wise. :smile:
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Most people fluctuate by several pounds over the course of a day--depends on how much food and liquid is in your system at any time. Some of that is just digestion, but your muscles will also hold onto water if you've been exercising--they need it for repair.

If you've been weighing and measuring your food carefully and are reasonably sure of your calorie burn when you exercise, as long as you're in a deficit you will lose weight. It just doesn't always show on the scale right away. Have you tried taking measurements and seeing if there is any change there?
  • davypr86
    davypr86 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Your sodium on Saturday was over 4600. That alone would cause a gain. Weigh again in a few days after you have flushed all that out.

Other than that, its possible you are overestimating your calories burned. I saw 1280....unless that was a 90 minute run, seems high.

It was a 90 minute run. I had a birthday later so, I used the elliptical trainer for 90 minutes.

Getting the sodium under control is so difficult. I'm going to try to lower it this week.
  • beckslite
    beckslite Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It's hard to answer that for someone else, but there may be a few things that could make a difference. For example I know that I loose more weight if I eat less carbs. Certain foods just don't let me loose weight. Also it could depend on how and when you eat. Little and often does work, but I must admit I prefer my 3 meals a day, but add snacks in between sometimes. The other thing could be exercise. How active are you? Etc. whatever it is don't give up. You may just need some time to work out what's best for you.

Good luck
    Becks :happy:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Your weight is going to fluctuate. It's just one of those things you have to make peace with. Sodium, alcohol, and new exercise will all cause you to retain water. You just have to realize that it isn't fat. Weigh and log all your food and then trust that if you're eating a deficit you will lose weight long-term. If you find that you're gaining slowly over a period of weeks, then that's an indication that you're eating too much. But give it time and you'll likely see it go back down.
  • davypr86
    Options
    There are many factors in weight loss. Have you added in more exercise? Because with increased exercise, your body can actually put on weight from gaining muscle. This is a good thing, don't worry! The more muscle mass you have, the more calories you burn.

How many calories are you eating each day, roughly? Eating way below your targeted amount of calories per day can actually lead to weight gain, not loss. Believe me, this happened to me! It's because your body will hold onto all the calories it can because it doesn't think it's being fed enough to function. So it'll burn less. Our bodies are very resilient.

I usually burn over 800 calories in exercise. With how much I eat, it depends. One day, the only day I went over, I ate over 2,500. Other days I eat as low as 1500.

Is that wrong.
  • michaelocampo
    michaelocampo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    This may not apply, but from my personal friends who are struggling (vs the ones who are seeing movement in the numbers)... the most common factors are overestimating type of exercise and underestimating portion size. It happens. Not many know EXACT calculations to begin with, but two ways to reduce errors at home are through the use of a heart rate monitor and a food weighing scale.
  • lizag2012
    lizag2012 Posts: 13
    Options
    Carbs. Your diet has way too many carbs, and you work out too hard. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but crazy workouts make you super hungry, eating carbs makes your insulin fire up and store fat, which in turn makes you more hungry. You don't eat nearly enough protein. You could completely stop counting calories and eat tons of protein and stop eating rice and pasta salad and tortillas and cereal and you would lose weight. Rice, pasta, etc are not part of a nutritious eating plan. Eat a huge steak for dinner with a huge side of veggies - 2 cups of greens at least. Eggs and bacon for breakfast instead of cereal.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

I usually burn over 800 calories in exercise. With how much I eat, it depends. One day, the only day I went over, I ate over 2,500. Other days I eat as low as 1500.

Is that wrong.

Not to burst anyone's bubbles, but if you are eating at a deficit, you aren't gaining muscle, and you don't gain visible scale muscle in 3 weeks. That's a myth people bandy about when they have a gain they don't think they can explain.

You've got some other good feedback though. Bodies are weird.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    The best way to get your sodium down is to cook from scratch as much as you can - I mean with raw ingredients which you then cook, not putting several packets together:wink: Reduce processed meats such as ham, bacon and sausages (which have salt added) and watch out for bread and breakfast cereals - they often have surprisingly high salt levels. Same with pre-made sauces (and of course ready meals). The more you prepare yourself, the more you can control the salt levels.
  • davypr86
    Options
    Carbs. Your diet has way too many carbs, and you work out too hard. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but crazy workouts make you super hungry, eating carbs makes your insulin fire up and store fat, which in turn makes you more hungry. You don't eat nearly enough protein. You could completely stop counting calories and eat tons of protein and stop eating rice and pasta salad and tortillas and cereal and you would lose weight. Rice, pasta, etc are not part of a nutritious eating plan. Eat a huge steak for dinner with a huge side of veggies - 2 cups of greens at least. Eggs and bacon for breakfast instead of cereal.

You mean, like in Adkins and South Beach?
  • pinksparklefairy
    pinksparklefairy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    For a couple of days after a big workouts your muscles will contain more water, which can make you temporarily gain weight. This might be what happened to you.

As others have suggested, decrease carbs a bit and increase protein. If you have red numbers that's a sign your diet is out of balance.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    This
    Your weight is going to fluctuate. It's just one of those things you have to make peace with. Sodium, alcohol, and new exercise will all cause you to retain water. You just have to realize that it isn't fat. Weigh and log all your food and then trust that if you're eating a deficit you will lose weight long-term. If you find that you're gaining slowly over a period of weeks, then that's an indication that you're eating too much. But give it time and you'll likely see it go back down.

And this
  • LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options

I agree with a very small amount of this, and disagree with the rest. You do not want to go crazy on your carbs, but you certainly do not want to cut them out completely. Do whole wheat bread and pasta and brown rice. You should eat more protein, but LEAN meats is the way to go, not steak and certainly not bacon. They have healthy cereals if you measure your portions... Or maybe an egg white omelet, never bacon.
  • LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options

You mean, like in Adkins and South Beach?

I sure hope not, because those diets are fad diets and they will work, until you discontinue and start eating carbs, then BOOM, gain it all back. You need to just watch your sodium intake and make sure you're eating more complex carbs.I haven't looked at your diary yet, but after I do, I will email you any suggestions I can come up with.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options

that's the atkins diet... which is a fad.... long played out

protein is worked out as 1g per lb of lean body mass

the way to save time on this is 0.7 or 0.8g x total body mass (this is allowing for roughly 20 - 30% body fat)

your carbs and fat are worked out as a remainder of what's left in percentages usually about 40% carbs, 20% fat

anything that's in the confines of this is acceptable

also get your sodium down, it's not difficult at all, don't add salt to anything, eat healthier foods and there will be less salt naturally

to calculate your daily calorie requirements see here:

scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

good luck! stick with it
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Did you gain in the beginning and then come back down? A lot of us did. I went up 2 pounds for a week and then down 2 pounds the next week so in 3 weeks I was only "down" 1.5 pounds from when I started. After that it has been a nice slow progression from 257 - 241.

Everybody is different. Sodium doesn't affect some people. It does affect me in a huge way. If I had a 4600 sodium day I would see about 4 pounds the next day on a scale. In order, I look at calories and then sodium before I decide if it's worth putting in my mouth. Those first couple weeks were an eye opener for sodium content!

If you can handle it mentally weigh every day, first thing in the morning and learn from the fluctuations but don't let them get you down. I started the 30 day shred 5 days ago and went up 2 pounds from the new routine. Wasn't worried a bit because I know it is water weight to repair the muscles.

Good Luck!
  • lizag2012
    lizag2012 Posts: 13
    Options
    Not necessarily that crazy - those diets are too restrictive. Any time you tell yourself you can't have something it becomes the main object of desire, right? :-) I will find another post I did earlier that explains it better and copy it here in a sec.