Simming new water cure?

Options
Okay, so my friend gave me her Woman's World magazine because it had an article stating that you could lose up to 10.5lbs in a week with the new water cure. Of course it interested me, so I read it. The basis of the article is that you should drink 16oz of water before each major meal (breakfast, lunch, and dinner). They also placed the objects on a 1200 cal meal plan packed with water-rich foods.

My question is: Do you think the people experienced success because of the water intake or the fact that they placed them on a 1200 calorie meal plan?

While I'm not on 1200 calories on a daily basis (not quite there yet), I am willing to test out the water theory and will drink 16oz before each meal and snack to see if there is a difference.

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Well, i am a firm believer that no matter what eating plan you choose, the more water you drink the easier it is to lose weight.

There are a number of factors that go into it being easier, but water helps to keep you full and prevents you from over eating.

Also, our bodies are made up of about 70% (i believe) water, so we have to keep that balanced for everything to work like its supposed to.

It flushes the toxins out...............
  • SwissTracey
    SwissTracey Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would say its the combination of both. By drinking water before you eat you feel full faster so you shouldn't over eat, but once you would return to a normal diet even if you were still watching what you are eat just not eating all the water based food I would think you would put some back on. It still remains healthy food in moderation in, with exercise is the best course and one that can last a lifetime.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    It's a combination of the two. A 1200 calorie diet will put you in a calorie deficit (at least for most people) and therefore you lose weight.

Drinking a lot of water will do a couple things for you:

1. Many people mistake thirst for hunger so if they are drinking enough water are less likely to over eat.
    2. You will retain water if you don't drink enough water. By increasing your water intake you actually will lose water weight.

The reality of this diet is that the majority of the weight lost is water weight. Unless you are seriously obese and have a very large deficit you will not lose 10 pounds of fat in a week. To lose 10 pounds of fat you would need a 35,000 calorie deficit. That's a deficit of 5000 calories a day. That is highly improbable if not impossible.

This is jus another fad diet making promises that are at best misrepresentations and at worst flat out lies.