Fruit and sugar????

Options
I'm pretty new to logging my food on here and am getting a little confused. Both yesterday and today I have gone oer the sugar limits that MFP gives me….Most of my sugars are from fruit…What do I do….cut down my fruit in take or ignore it?Would love some advice please!

Replies

• cidalia73
    cidalia73 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Most people ignore, unless you have a health issue (like diabetes).
  • meganshort11
    meganshort11 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i ignore it...fruit is good for you. plus, the more you exercise, the more grams of sugar you can have a day, if you want to stay below what they say you can have. another option, if you want to stay below the recommend amount, is to cut back on other items you eat that contain sugar: bread, rice, etc. good luck!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I ignore it
  • khemory
    khemory Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals and your general health.
  • tanashai
    tanashai Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I stopped tracking sugar altogether XD. My apple a day, carrots and coffee/hot chocolate drinks were pushing it over, let alone the sometime desserts I enjoy! (like low fat ice cream and homemade cookie). I've made peace with sugar at this point and I'm focusing on lowering sodium and keeping carbs in line :)
  • tinypastels
    tinypastels Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Few different answers:

-MFP underestimates sugar, mostly referring to added sugar, and assuming a 2000 calorie diet

-or...you shouldn't be eating that much fruit anyway...get the same vitamins from vegetables, fruit has been modified these days to contain more sugar than our ancestors had, and was much more difficult to find. only have one piece of fruit a day

-You can have your fruit, just don't have fruit juice or dried fruit

-Eat as much fruit as you want. Hell, ONLY eat fruit and watch your health do a 180 (raw-foodists)

There's not a single answer. It's up to you and what you feel is right. We all handle and require sugar in different quantities.
  • Ally8809
    Ally8809 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank you all for your answers! I think I will ignore it for now as I don't think I eat massive amounts of fruit and yet am still over!
  • mwoltem
    mwoltem Posts: 1
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I am new to this as well and have also been going over on my sugar, primarily due to fresh fruit. I will be ignoring too! :)
  • Toddahlie
    Toddahlie Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The fructosa (frui's sugar) is good for you, but like everything only depends on the quatity that you eat!!!
  • cacleghorn
    cacleghorn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem (by a lot!). I decided to do a little poking around to see where MFP gets their recommended daily value for sugar, and if it included naturally occuring sugars..

I learned that, about 8 years ago, the American Heart Association released a RDV for sugar for the first time. The statement the AHA released when announcing their recommendation stated:

"In view of these considerations, the American Heart Association recommends reductions in the intake of added sugars. A prudent upper limit of intake is half of the discretionary calorie allowance, which for most American women is no more than 100 calories per day and for most American men is no more than 150 calories per day from added sugars."
    (http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/120/11/1011.full.pdf)

Their recommendation specifically focuses on added sugars. I'm still not certain where MFP gets their number from, but the AHA or similar source is a reasonable guess. The sugar tracker could be useful for people who get more of their sugar from coffee drinks/yogurt/deserts, but I don't think it's useful for people who get most of their sugar from fresh fruits.

So, I switched that tracker with another nutrient. Whole fruits are good food.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb. As long as you're eating enough fats and protein, your carbs/sugar aren't important unless you have a medical issue that requires carbs/sugar to be monitored. As long as you're under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. Some people find that sugar (even from fruit) causes them to have more sugar/carb cravings. If this isn't the case for you there's no need to limit sugar.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    sugar is sugar, no matter where it comes from. I limit my fruit intake for this reason..but I don't eat suagr anywheres else either......your body doesnt know the diference between "bad"sugar and "good" sugar, its all the same.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    MFP's recommendation for sugar is based in the AHA's recommendation for ADDED/REFINED sugars. It is the added sugar and high fructose corn syrup that sneaks it's way into a great deal of processed food that is helping to perpetuate the obesity epidemic..not an apple a day.

Eat your fruit....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    sugar is sugar, no matter where it comes from. I limit my fruit intake for this reason..but I don't eat suagr anywheres else either......your body doesnt know the diference between "bad"sugar and "good" sugar, its all the same.

Not entirely true