Eating times. How much does it matter?

Options
davypr86
davypr86 Posts: 145 Member
I've heard that eating the biggest food earlier and eating later a smaller meal makes a world of difference.

What is your experience with that?

Replies

• misssbluiz
    misssbluiz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i'd like to read some opinions on that too
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    It make no difference so long as you are staying at your calorie goal - and your goal is the correct one (I said in a previous post by you that you seem to be eating too little).

For example: I have my goal set at 1850 a day. I typically eat at least half of that, and sometimes up to 1200, between 6pm and 11pm. Makes no difference for my weight loss.
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It make no difference so long as you are staying at your calorie goal - and your goal is the correct one (I said in a previous post by you that you seem to be eating too little).

For example: I have my goal set at 1850 a day. I typically eat at least half of that, and sometimes up to 1200, between 6pm and 11pm. Makes no difference for my weight loss.

I agree with the above.

However, it's on your willpower really. Some people just have the urge to eat at certain times or else they might binge later. I know I do
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    It's a toss-up between minuscule to not at all.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    The ONLY reason I don't eat within an hour before going to bed is because I have a history of bad reflux/heartburn.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Not one bit.

If you would rather not eat a thing all day then eat your entire allowance at 10pm, you will still lose weight at the end of the week provided you have stuck to your calorie goal. I am a night time eater, so I tend to save at least half of my calories for dinner. Eat in a way that works for you.
  • GettinIT6
    GettinIT6 Posts: 44
    Options
    I have read to eat about 5-6 small meals a day to keep your metabolism going. Like split your calories up about evenly for each meal. I have also heard to eat the denser foods earlier in the day, but that it doesn't matter as much.
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Some people set a rule like 'no eating after 6pm' and I don't think it can help with maximizing weight loss. But I think it helps with overeating. So when someone says "what you gotta do is not eat right before bed!" I'm like I get you but it doesn't have to do with the time of the meal but with actually limiting calorie intake.
    On the other hand some people think eating as soon as possible after waking up in the morning can help get your metabolism going.
    I find that worrying too much about this is counterproductive because it distracts you from the main objectives which should be healthy eating and staying active no matter the time of day.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat carbs after 5PM otherwise they turn to fat while you are sleeping.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat carbs after 5PM otherwise they turn to fat while you are sleeping.

I'm hoping you aren't serious.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I have read to eat about 5-6 small meals a day to keep your metabolism going. Like split your calories up about evenly for each meal. I have also heard to eat the denser foods earlier in the day, but that it doesn't matter as much.

no, it takes the same amount of energy to metabolize1500 calories whether you eat them in 100 calorie incrememnts or all at once. just eat when you're hungry.
  • davypr86
    davypr86 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Wow! I thought I would get an avalanche of people saying it
    matters. This is good to know.
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, what matters is the calories. However, I know some people choose not to eat past a certain time of day (night) so that the next morning the number on the scale might be lower because if gives your body more time to digest/break down/ pee/poop etc.

Honestly, I don't think that eating later at night makes a big difference, but if that half pound or whatever it is being lower the next day helps you feel motivated and stay on track then I see no problem eating meals earlier.

Personally, I always have a late night snack..... usually some homepopped popcorn or chocolate chips when I get the munchies :)
  • Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Wow! I thought I would get an avalanche of people saying it
    matters. This is good to know.

I'll play the devil's advocate if you want. There was a study released at the beginning of this year that suggested that eating time could impact weight loss. Just google "eating time weight loss" and a whole slew of articles from around Jan 29 will pop up. The study claims a sample of 420 overweight/obese adults with similar activity and caloric intake levels that differed in when they took their midday meal (study was done in Spain where the midday meal is the largest of the day, which could be an influential factor).

However, even if eating times does impact weight loss, I don't think there's enough information out there to correctly make use of it.
  • RedneckMomma77
    RedneckMomma77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I just look at it like this, in a 24 hour period, I have 1,690 calories that I can eat. It does not matter when in those 24 hours I actually consume them, as long as I try to keep at or below the 1,690. That is one reason my meals aren't labeled as such on here. I have them broke down into 6 different 4 hour time slots. And when I eat something, I record it in the appropriate time slot. I don't care if it's 01:00 or 23:00 or anywhere in between. I just try to log everything accordingly, and go on about my cat killing.
  • Schmidt722
    Schmidt722 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This is good information, thanks! I'm also often told that it's better to eat large meals earlier, and then have smaller dinners. But with a typical 9-5 job, I'm supposed to have all my calories when I'm running out the door in the AM, or trying to fit lunch and errands into a workday? But in the evenings when I have time to relax by opening a bottle of wine and cooking a nice dinner with my fiance, that's when I should be having my smallest meal? Do not like! So I'm glad to hear so many people say that it doesn't really matter. (As long as calorie goals are met, etc.)
  • nataliepio
    nataliepio Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda like that tryna save calories for later on in the evening otherwise i'm up in the middle of the night hungry :S
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Meal timing has no effect on weight control.