Not sure how I feel...

Options
Ok, so not to step on any toes, but I'm not entirely sure how I feel about counting calories burned doing normal, every day tasks.

I see quite a few people logging activities such as cleaning, and for some time I thought that I should log that too. Now I guess my point of view is that I will log any gym type exercises (weight lifting, cardio, etc)... and if I happen to lose more weight then projected due to calories burned during normal daily tasks, that will be a bonus to me.

How does everyone else feel? What are the pros and cons in your opinion?

<3 You all!

Replies

• MissyK222
    MissyK222 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hey girl, so I think it's all preference. I mean, there are so many daily activities that can help burn calories, for instance the warehouse (its a huge tent with no doors) I work in needed swept. We are located in the desert so it was alot of work to sweep... I probebly burned alot but I didnt put that on my MFP becuase it's not garenteed how much I burned. Unless you wear a calorie watch then you can not say you burn [so many] calories while cleaning, or whatever the activity is.

That's just my opinion.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I only log dedicated exercise. I would rather underestimate than overestimate. Also, I was doing all those daily things before and still wasn't losing weight, so why count them now that I'm keeping track?
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Generally, I only log dedicated exercise. I don't log my "usual" cleaning, shopping, etc. But if I do a few hours of gardening, or do some major spring cleaning where I'm going to be sore the next day, I'm sweating, etc. I'll log it. Usually will log about half the time, though.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Ok, so not to step on any toes, but I'm not entirely sure how I feel about counting calories burned doing normal, every day tasks.

My personal view is that if I did it while I was gaining weight then I probably shouldn't count that towards losing weight.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    The only time I log an activity such as cleaning is when I do a FULL house clean which takes me 5 hours. That's done maybe once a month.
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options

My personal view is that if I did it while I was gaining weight then I probably shouldn't count that towards losing weight.

I agree with this. If I did it while I was fat(ter) then I don't count it towards being healthier.
  • jessmart83
    jessmart83 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I never count cleaning as exercise, unless I am moving furnature and appliances (then I might log some of the time I did it).
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    If I am hard core cleaning.. like EVERYTHING.. then I might. I'd have to be sweeping and scrubbing and moving *kitten* around though.. I usually only count it because I get hungrier when I do that much work in a day.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I once saw someone log studying :D
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I did body sculpt classes without losing weight, so that seems like an odd measure.

For daily activities, one should adjust their activity level, but I don't do much cleaning daily, so I might log the days when I move the couch to sweep and such.