Losing weight, but still feel flabby...

Options
I started MFP at an acceptable weight, I really just wanted to get rid of some extra flab and look more toned/defined. I have lost ten pounds so far, but my problem areas (arms, stomach, thighs) haven't really changed dramatically. I am a busy grad student, diet is going great, but I have only been able to exercise an average of once every week/week and a half.

I need encouragement/tips! Is there some quick(ish) apartment routine I can do to get the ball rolling with toning and definition??? Something in the morning or at night? HELP!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Got dumbbells and a smart phone? Download the Nike Training Club app - it's free, and full of awesome workouts. There's a whole section of 15 minute workouts specific to arms, shoulders, back, legs, butt, etc - easy to fit in one or two of those and get some great results.

http://www.nike.com/us/en_us/c/womens-training/apps/nike-training-club
  • MSSMAD
    MSSMAD Posts: 7
    Options
    No smartphone, but I have dumb bells!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    No smartphone, but I have dumb bells!

USE THEM!

I don't know if it is still available, but I used to have a College Dorm Workout that was full body strength training designed for small spaces - you could do 15 minutes a day or 30 minutes three times a week.
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If you are eatting a deficeit, you will lose muscle and fat. You need to eat more protein and don't try to eat low, eat around maintenance level. Add some weights and you will turn fat into muscle and wont feel flabby!
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    20 Minute workout with Jullian Michael's 30 Day Shred on youtube. Also you could just get some 3lb - 5lb weights, and find exercises on youtube designed to target specific areas. Lots of videos to choose from for the right instruction for you and your trouble areas. No quick fixes just making a commitment of your time to do some strength training on a regular basis weekly. Start off 2 - 3 days a week. Just a thought. Hope it helps.:flowerforyou:
    I started MFP at an acceptable weight, I really just wanted to get rid of some extra flab and look more toned/defined. I have lost ten pounds so far, but my problem areas (arms, stomach, thighs) haven't really changed dramatically. I am a busy grad student, diet is going great, but I have only been able to exercise an average of once every week/week and a half.

I need encouragement/tips! Is there some quick(ish) apartment routine I can do to get the ball rolling with toning and definition??? Something in the morning or at night? HELP!
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Look around the fitness boards on Pinterest! There are soooo many little at home workouts on there, tons of good ab sets and quick arm workouts.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Diet isn't going to tone your body...you need strength training

Tough Mudder has three boot camps beginner, intermediate and advanced. You really need to squeeze in exercise; weights at least 3x per week. I know you can do it; I was a grad student and a soccer mom (actually more than that....my son played soccer, tennis, had swim, hockey, you name it...). I was still able to fit 1-2 hours of training into my day every day of the week. You just have to make it a priority....and yes I was taking a FULL load in grad school too! YOU CAN DO IT!!

Sorry - here's the link: http://toughmudder.com/tough-mudder-boot-camp-training/
  • MSSMAD
    MSSMAD Posts: 7
    Options
    thanks everyone!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    convict conditioning and You Are Your Own Gym are both pretty well-regarded bodyweight exercise programs.