Workout routine too aggressive?

2»

Replies

• FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Well my goals are first hypertrophy, then strength. From what I understand they go hand in hand however, though I've read here and there that some differentiate between hypertrophy and power... no idea why. Maybe it's the way the muscle is used (pure power over explosiveness).

BTW I'm looking for permanent "Myofibril hypertrophy", solid mass, rather than "Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy" which just amounts to lasting pump.

No one ever had a solid chest benching 135. Improve your strength and so you can rep out heavier weight.

Yeah, right now I weigh 146 and I'm benching 160 looking to increase by next week to 165-170. Whatever I do I'm always looking to up the weight when I feel I can do it safely (I don't have a spotter).
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Just do PHAT. it's a high volume routine where everything is hit multiple times a week. perfect for what you're looking for.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    I don't know man, I keep reading that that high volume doesn't amount to much but pump. That low reps high weight is the way to go across the board.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    99% of the time, "overtraining" is really just "underfeeding and undersleeping."

high volume =/= necessarily high reps per set. It's true that high rep sets (9+ per set or so) are more designed for hypertrophy than anything else. But you can easily do high volume strength range sets by just increasing the amount of sets. Hell, Smolov workouts do like 30 reps per session at 70-85% 1RM just by programming lots of sets into the high-intensity stuff. Yeah, it takes longer. But if you want to get stronger, it's the way to go. How "beginner" are you?
  • Huffdogg
    Well my goals are first hypertrophy, then strength. From what I understand they go hand in hand however, though I've read here and there that some differentiate between hypertrophy and power... no idea why. Maybe it's the way the muscle is used (pure power over explosiveness).

The difference is that powerlifting training is almost as much neural as it is muscular. Traditionally, powerlifters will also train lifts rather than body parts. ie-instead of having a legs/back/chest split, they'll do squat/deadlift/bp. The main lift is the core of the work, and accessory/isolation work is only used to bring up deficient muscle groups affecting the performance of the main lift.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    I don't know man, I keep reading that that high volume doesn't amount to much but pump. That low reps high weight is the way to go across the board.

not for hypertrophy, it ain't
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member

I mean this respectfully... you're reading the wrong ****. Go to EliteFTS and start reading articles there, read articles and books by Dave Tate, Louie Simmons, Jim Wendler, John Meadows, Brandon Lily.
    The difference is that powerlifting training is almost as much neural as it is muscular. Traditionally, powerlifters will also train lifts rather than body parts. ie-instead of having a legs/back/chest split, they'll do squat/deadlift/bp. The main lift is the core of the work, and accessory/isolation work is only used to bring up deficient muscle groups affecting the performance of the main lift.

Pretty much agree. It's used to strengthen weak points but it also there to provide some hypertrophy benefit. A larger muscle is better support for the lifts than a stronger one. Probably won't gain the same size as a bodybuilder but your muscle won't be just for show.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    I just wanna know if you're going to do ss's like I suggested :)
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    I think the first thing i would ask you are what are your current goals. If you dont know where you're going, no map in the world will help you. You first need a defined goal. Second, how one sets up splits and how much rest is done between days/muscle groups is dependent on how heavy/light your lifting, how many sets/reps. I used to love a push, pull, leg day but the heavier i lifted the more i would break up my lifting.most of the time i now lift only one or two body parts per day, per week. With that said i have also done the following splits: 4 days split of: chest/bicep, legs/abs, back/triceps and shoulders/abs. i like this because it hits shoulders, biceps and triceps twice once when worked directly and once when worked as an accessory muscle group with chest or back), i have also done 4 days split of back/chest, arms, shoulders and legs. you could do shoulders on leg day if you wanted to make this a three days split. mix cardio in for long sessions 60 minutes 2-3 times a week and working recovery cardio of 20-30 minutes 2-3 times a week.
    Whatever you choose, routinely change things up.. The body is highly adaptable and efficient and quickly grows accustomed to routine. Make sure you scheduled in deloads (every 4-12 weeks depending on how our body is adjusting and feeling) and changes from heavy weight/low reps to lower weight/higher reps and everything else in between.
    As much as we all enjoy lifting and working out the anabolic stage (the building process) actually takes place when we rest. The catabolic state occurs when we are tearing things down at the gym... Rest is necessary for proper gains!
    Good luck. ????????????
  • Huffdogg

Pretty much agree. It's used to strengthen weak points but it also there to provide some hypertrophy benefit. A larger muscle is better support for the lifts than a stronger one. Probably won't gain the same size as a bodybuilder but your muscle won't be just for show.

TBH the only muscles where I can think of size actually providing a benefit for the mechanics of a lift are traps and maybe rear delts for squats (bar platform) and lats for bp.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Just run a program with proven results and stop trying to program your own routine, it will save you much time.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Just run a program with proven results and stop trying to program your own routine, it will save you much time.

^^
    TBH the only muscles where I can think of size actually providing a benefit for the mechanics of a lift are traps and maybe rear delts for squats (bar platform) and lats for bp.

It's funny because i kind of thought the same thing until recently when I read Brandon Lily's Cube Method. He talked about the importance of biceps and forearms as well. He also does some calf work. I was shocked but the man is huge and has some amazing totals so he must be onto something.