Please can I get advice on my diet!

Options
My food diary is public and really need advice on a decent diet to follow! I thought I was doing good today but I have found that I am under my daily calorie recommendation and also my daily carb recommendation.

If anyone could look at my diary for today and give me some advice on how I could improve my diet I would be really grateful!

Replies

• BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough; you're setting yourself up for failure.

Find out how much energy you burn in a day (in total, not just from exercise) and then eat 15 to 20% less than that.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Did you really eat a whole large pizza hut pizza?

Just noticed your a guy,... Maybe that fits into your plan.
    Most days you look great, just low on cals. I would agree with eating more as the above poster mentions.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Past 3 days....you are way over ....then you are way under......then you are in the middle. If you continue to eat in these patterns expect your weight to reflect that roller coaster because it is going to be doing the exact same thing. Self control and balance....find some
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Are you really logging everything? (i.e. was dinner really two plain eggs with nothing in it - no milk, no butter, no cheese, no nothing)? And plain iceberg lettuce with no other veggies, no dressings? There's some easy way to add in some calories - add a little something to your plain lettuce, some healthy dressings, some other vegetables?

Same with your dinner on Thurday - did you really just have a plain chicken breast with nothing on it and nothing else?

You don't snack much, maybe add in some more healthy snacks? Breakfast today was bigger, but usually your breakfast looks pretty small and plain. Can you add something to your oatmeal if that's what you like? make it with milk, or add some fruit or look at some of the millions of oatmeal recipes?

You don't have much in the way of vegetables other than plain iceberg and the occasional small bit of cucumber or pepper?
  • phoenix7039
    Options
    It's ok if you're under in carbs as far as I'm concerned as long as you're getting enough fiber in your diet. You seem to be making healthy choices on most days (I only looked back about 4-5 days) but you could add some healthy proteins or complex carbs. lean meats such as white meat chicken or fish, natural peanut butter, whole grain cereal or breads, nuts. As long as you make sure your body is getting all the nutrients it needs everyday, you should be ok, even if you come in under your calories.
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    One word - VEGETABLES.
  • phoenix7039
    Options
    You should be eating 3 meals and 2-3 snacks per day. Be consistent as much as you can.
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You should be eating 3 meals and 2-3 snacks per day. Be consistent as much as you can.

Why?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Your diet seems to be lacking nutritionally speaking. Take a look at my diary for some ideas. You need less junk and more nutrient dense foods. When you're having difficulty getting up to your calorie goal, things like nuts and nut butters are great as they are very nutritious, but also calorie dense foods...also thing like avocado...cooking with some olive oil, coconut oil, peanut oil, etc. Those healthy fats go a long way in getting your calories up.
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Ye the day that I had that pizza was abit exagerated as i didnt eat the entire pizza to be perfectly honest. Plus that was the first bad day I had in 3 weeks (and it sure was bad).

I am going under most days for sure and I really appreciate all the ideas and tips. As far as salad and chicken goes I am indeed literally eating them plain with no dressings or anything.

The thing is I am concerned about adding things like cheese or butter to eggs or mayonnaise etc, because I really dont want to eat the "wrong" kind of foods.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    The thing is I am concerned about adding things like cheese or butter to eggs or mayonnaise etc, because I really dont want to eat the "wrong" kind of foods.

No wrong foods. Butter and cheese and eggs are AWESOME. Those are superfoods, with healthy fat and protein. Mayonnaise . . . well, I just don't prefer it.

You need to get your intake fixed right away because unless you're a 4'5", 70-year-old woman, you aren't eating enough.
  • kalyse
    kalyse Posts: 23 Member
    Options

No wrong foods. Butter and cheese and eggs are AWESOME. Those are superfoods, with healthy fat and protein. Mayonnaise . . . well, I just don't prefer it.

You need to get your intake fixed right away because unless you're a 4'5", 70-year-old woman, you aren't eating enough.

butter and cheese are not superfoods.. and mayo isnt good for you - its usually made soybean oil, highly processed and lacks nutritional value

op - i told you what you should do as far as diet yesterday - lean protein, complex carb and veggies at every meal plus a few healthy fats
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    butter and cheese are not superfoods.. and mayo isnt good for you - its usually made soybean oil, highly processed and lacks nutritional value

op - i told you what you should do as far as diet yesterday - lean protein, complex carb and veggies at every meal plus a few healthy fats

Definitely agree about the mayonnaise. Most condiments aren't typically consumed for their nutrient value. Regarding cheese, eggs, and butter, they are as far away from the "wrong" foods as to constitute superfoods.

But congratulations on your results, you've accomplished a lot in the last two years! :flowerforyou:
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I tried to include carbs and protein etc and today you will notice is different to any other day. I mad my breakfast larger and included things I rarely eat for protein like tuna. However its the end of the day and as I have logged my results I see I am under and wanted to know what I could eat or what people thought.

I just went and ate some chicken and still need to think of sumin else
  • kalyse
    Options

Definitely agree about the mayonnaise. Most condiments aren't typically consumed for their nutrient value. Regarding cheese, eggs, and butter, they are as far away from the "wrong" foods as to constitute superfoods.

But congratulations on your results, you've accomplished a lot in the last two years! :flowerforyou:

i use avocado in place of mayo - healthy fats - i use certain "condiments" for nutritional purposes. every one is different and they have to find what works for them - my pic is only about a 3 month difference but thanks
  • kalyse
    Options
    I tried to include carbs and protein etc and today you will notice is different to any other day. I mad my breakfast larger and included things I rarely eat for protein like tuna. However its the end of the day and as I have logged my results I see I am under and wanted to know what I could eat or what people thought.

I just went and ate some chicken and still need to think of sumin else

brown rice and some veggies :)
  • BurtHuttz
    Options

i use avocado in place of mayo - healthy fats - i use certain "condiments" for nutritional purposes. every one is different and they have to find what works for them - my pic is only about a 3 month difference but thanks

All the more impressive, then! I'm loathe to give you advice since you've definitely found something that works for you, but after looking at your diary I thought that this article might be of interest to you: http://nbsfit.com/nutrition/weight-loss-isnt-always-about-eating-less-and-exercising-more/
  • kalyse
    Options

All the more impressive, then! I'm loathe to give you advice since you've definitely found something that works for you, but after looking at your diary I thought that this article might be of interest to you: http://nbsfit.com/nutrition/weight-loss-isnt-always-about-eating-less-and-exercising-more/

implying i need to eat more? lol i know - i havent been consistently tracking but im getting better/making it a priority (i dont listen to the mfp recommendations) - i need to add more food to meals 2 and 4 and id be good - its just hard bc i drink so much water (i dont really track that on here) i get this extremely full feeling quickly so i have to basically force my self to eat sometimes - ill get there - starting a new lifting routine this week so maybe ill be hungrier ?
  • Garthamatic
    Garthamatic Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend looking at the amount of fiber you're consuming as well. That has a big role in making me feel "full" for meals. It can also guide you toward healthy choices...

I'll echo the "more vegetables" sentiment. I try to work in a salad or two during the week just to add variety and also to give me a little margin when I know I'll be eating out, etc, with the family.

What calorie deficit are you planning on daily and what weight loss/week are you targeting?
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    Know what you're talking about re: water. I tend to sip throughout the day because if I drink large portions in short amounts of time I do short-circuit my hunger. I started lifting a few months ago and found that my intake has gotten to be pretty high without any fat gains. I have also noticed that my lifts are poorer when I'm lower on calories. There's definitely an association there but I suppose the only way to find out precisely what works best for you is to jump in with both feet. :flowerforyou: