Adding weights to HIIT

Options
Today I did my elliptical HIIT with some weights, but there seems to be no way to account for the extra weight as far as calorie burning. My elliptical is not the sophisticated kind that can sense weight changes, so it says I still burned the same amount. Anybody have any ideas? I had to have burned more. Only ten minutes and I'm sweating like a pig!

Replies

• phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    please don't do this... save the weights for actual lifting.

unless you're talking a weight vest. in which case, carry on, but understand that weight isn't actually contributing much resistance as the machine takes up most of it so it's really doing nothing for you.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    please don't do this... save the weights for actual lifting.

unless you're talking a weight vest. in which case, carry on, but understand that weight isn't actually contributing much resistance as the machine takes up most of it so it's really doing nothing for you.

Really? It sure FELT like I was working extra hard!
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I agree. You're better off focusing on cardio, or focusing on lifting, but don't try to do both at the same time.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I agree, if you're doing cardio in the form of HIIT it isn't advisable to hold weights.

I would do the weights in another session.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Instead of the being elliptical you can make your own cardio workout with weight...just dont hold dumb bells but hold a medicine ball or sandbag. There are many routines for each on youtube.

ETA- a medicine ball is way easier
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I do various exercises involving weights and lifting, usually in a circuit training capacity. I added weights to this specifically to burn more calories (plus just holding the weights adds static resistance to my arms.) I just wanted to try something different and I needed to know how to log it.