End of the day : under 1200 calories but not hungry....

Options
Hello everyone,
So, it's 6:37 in the evening, and I'm not hungry (at all, I feel super full from lunch actually) but I'm under 1200 calories.
Seeing as it happens to me quite frequently, I would like to know if you know anything that I could eat that is light on the stomach, preferrably healthy, and enough calories so that I don't go into starvation mode....

Replies

• rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to read responses because this is a common issue for me too. It seems 'wrong' to eat when I'm not hungry ;)
  • SafiyaBWG
    SafiyaBWG Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    yeah, this has already happened to me several times in the course of a week, and I'm afraid my body will rebel ...
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Salad with some nuts, avocado, full fat dressing, cheese? Nuts especially add a good amount of calories for a small amount of food.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    peanut butter, nuts, avocado, granola, ice cream, chocolate...
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I enjoy protein shakes mixed with 1/3 cup of almonds and fruit (banana?). Add some flaxseed oil for more dense calories per serving -- all healthy.

I mix mine with just water/ice instead of milks to make it not so thick, and I can chug one down in about 5 minutes. It's like a dessert drink.
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Salad with some nuts, avocado, full fat dressing, cheese? Nuts especially add a good amount of calories for a small amount of food.

This is what helps me.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming that nobody here has anorexia and that everyone is eating a basically healthy diet. Having said that, don't worry about it.

--You're probably eating more than you think. It's easy to do.
    --It will probably even out over the week.

Are you hungry, do you feel weak, are you unable to function? The obvious answer is to eat more.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    When people have difficulty achieving a measly 1200 calories per day, it is usually because they've basically cut fat from their diet...fat free this and that...low fat this and that. Your body needs fat...fat doesn't make you fat...eat more fat. Look to things like nuts, nut butters, avocado, cooking with some olive oil or coconut oil or peanut oil...basically stop cutting all the fat, the '80s are over and I'd like to leave the no fat nonsense where it belongs.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    When people have difficulty achieving a measly 1200 calories per day, it is usually because they've basically cut fat from their diet...fat free this and that...low fat this and that. Your body needs fat...fat doesn't make you fat...eat more fat. Look to things like nuts, nut butters, avocado, cooking with some olive oil or coconut oil or peanut oil...basically stop cutting all the fat, the '80s are over and I'd like to leave the no fat nonsense where it belongs.

This is correct. Toss some cheese on it! Bacon bits!
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    So, it's 6:37 in the evening, and I'm not hungry (at all, I feel super full from lunch actually) but I'm under 1200 calories.
    Seeing as it happens to me quite frequently, I would like to know if you know anything that I could eat that is light on the stomach, preferrably healthy, and enough calories so that I don't go into starvation mode....

What are you eating throughout the day? Your diary isn't open but that might help us to guide you in some better choices earlier in the day to add calories but not make you feel overstuffed. I was struggling getting enough calories for a while so I added whole grains and some lowfat dairy with most meals and snacks and it helps add calories without making me feel too full. Nuts are another good option - a lot of calories in 1/4 c, so not overfilling but really good for you.
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Being under 1200 calories once in a while won't hurt you at all, just don't make it a daily habit. I tend to look more at my weekly picture rather than each day. Being under on one or two days can offset being over a day or two.
  • janetbhf
    janetbhf Posts: 1
    Options
    This happens to me, I have been trying to eat a little more at breakfast or have a morning snack to up the calories.
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Maybe try eating more calorically dense food in the morning?
  • sarski77
    sarski77 Posts: 79
    Options
    Maybe try eating more calorically dense food in the morning?

Yeah, I was going to suggest this too. If, generally speaking, you already know you'll be on the low side perhaps you can plan for a bigger breakfast, lunch or a couple of snacks rather than forcing yourself to eat more in the evening.
  • GracefulDancer4Christ
    GracefulDancer4Christ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem so what I do is I eat 3 meals and 2 - 3 snacks spaced every few hours.

air popped corn 1 cup

apple slices with peanut butter
    celery with peanut butter
    almonds

apple slices with cheese cubes

salad

Turkey w/ cream cheese roll ups.
  • SafiyaBWG
    Options
    I have opened my diary, but I don't really eat "fat-free".
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I can never understand when people say this. No offense intended but most people who are here are trying to lose weight because they have gained it at some point... obviously eating way more than 1200 calories, and well above maintenance calories... so how is is anyone here can be struggling to eat 1200?? Workout, eat real foods with good fats and you will have no problem eating your calories
  • Linkdapink
    Linkdapink Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend some healthy snacks? I had my first day back at work today since starting MFP and I realised that my lunch was filling, but I needed snacks at 10:30 (break) since I had my breakfast at 6am and wouldn't be having lunch til 12:30 - and grabbed some breakfast biscuits - not sure if this was the healthiest option! I'm down on calories today too - but I'm so happy because this evening I'm allowing myself a snack of chocolate!
  • SafiyaBWG
    Options
    I did ! I had a big lunch with cheese, bread, my main dish as made with oil and butter, so I eat heartily and healthy !
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I can never understand when people say this. No offense intended but most people who are here are trying to lose weight because they have gained it at some point... obviously eating way more than 1200 calories, and well above maintenance calories... so how is is anyone here can be struggling to eat 1200?? Workout, eat real foods with good fats and you will have no problem eating your calories

I know, it sounds crazy to me too. But for me, I was eating an enormously high carb diet previously ~ and that left me oh so hungry all day and nite (and even while I slept!). Now that I'm eating more protein (and fat, I use olive oil, butter, mayo, cheese, etc, daily), I am sincerely not hungry (well not in that same *starving* sorta way I used to be on probably 3000+ daily calories mostly carbs).

I like the suggestion of adding nuts to my foods. If anyone wants to check out my diary to see if I'm doing something 'wrong', feel welcome! :)