In need of some shopping help.

Options
I am having a hard time grocery shopping now that i am on a diet, what are some things i can buy? Also i am on a budget so healthy and not to expensive?

Replies

• auntballerina14
    Options
    I LOVE oranges lately. Try and ask people you work with or your family for ideas where to buy fresh produce. I saw on your profile that you are from Lancaster and there is a farmer's market there starting May 4th. That would be a good place to get fresh, local, and usually inexpensive produce.

For my cereal and other things like lunch meat I usually shop at Walmart. They have Great Value brand of a lot of things, like Special K cereal; and their national brands are usually a little less expensive.

Don't be afraid of coupons, Meijer has digital coupons, and so does Kroger. At Krogers around me they automatically double coupons under $0.50, and at another store nearby its double coupons up to $0.99

For me, its about finding what I like to eat and where I find the best price. Aldi is also a good place to go for snacks (their 90 calorie smores and cinnamon swirl rice cakes are yummy!) and sometimes you can find their brands of cereal for inexpensive (like $1.99 a box) Just dont forget to take your own bags or be prepared to buy on of their reuseables (which are AWESOME and hold TONS ) for $1.99.

Message me if you need more ideas.
  • meganshort11
    meganshort11 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    frozen veggies!!!!! if possible, try shopping at aldi's....they have great prices, if you don't mind eating generic stuff. they have a lot of off-brand items that are comparable to big name things, like special k fruit crisps, and all kinds of stuff like that. or even walmart. i've been on a tight budget for years. seriously, frozen veggies are your friend...the off brands usually cost about $1/bag, and you get quite a bit in them.

also, i make soup. one of the cheaper/more filling/lower calorie ones i make is a cabbage soup. i use sugar free vegetable juice for the base, and put a bunch of cabbage in it. then i usually add onions, carrots, celery, peas, etc. its pretty cheap, you get a huge pot of it, and it tastes pretty good.

buying in bulk is another way to save....especially if its something you can do a lot with, like boneless skinless chicken breast. get the biggest amount you can for the best price, and use freezer bags.

i know a lot of people say that junk food is cheaper; but a bag of chips usually costs about 3.50. you can get a thing of celery AND some carrots for that price.

good luck to you!