Which HRM do I trust?

Options
I bought a MIO petite HRM and I have been using to to track my calories burned during Insanity. I used it the other day when I was on the treadmill just to compare. The MIO said I burned 600 calories in an hour and the treadmill said 400. I usually walk 3.5 on a 4.0 incline for 60 mins adding a few mins here and there of running. Which one should I trust?

Replies

• Run4Me2Day
    Run4Me2Day Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Does it have a chest strap?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Does it have a chest strap? From what I've read the hrm with chest straps are more accurate. If you're questioning it though, I would go with the lower number to avoid overeating.
  • Run4Me2Day
    Run4Me2Day Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Also did you set your age and weight it in???
  • Viveyp21
    Viveyp21 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I set my age and weight in the treadmill but only my age and resting in the MIO. And no it does not have a chest strap.
  • zentha1384
    zentha1384 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    First which HRM did you enter your personal data?
    If you only enter height weight etc into one use that one.

Second did you keep your hands on the treadmill on 100% of the time? From what i understand about the mio is it only takes a reading when you tell it to. Then it assumes the same heartrate until you have it take a new reading. Either way the one with more readings has a better idea of your heart rate and therfore calories burned of course that is also dependent on which has your stats.

No HRM is 100% accurate, but sadly neither the mio nor the treadmill are the best. A HRM with a chest strap is often said to be closest to accurate. Beyond that it is probably better to assume low on the calories burned if you are trying to loes weight or if you are eatting the calories back.
  • Viveyp21
    Options
    The MIO you test your resting HR and enter your age. The treadmill I entered my weight.
    Yes the MIO only tests when you tell it to so I tried to measure my heart rate every 5 mins on both.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Your most accurate reading will come from a heart rate monitor that uses your age, weight, and vo2 max. A chest strap also help create more accuracy, because it consistently tracks your hr.

I also have had 2 bad heart rate monitors (both sportlines). One was just a watch and the other was a watch with chest strap, for whatever reason they both way over calculated my calorie burn (900 cals for a 20-30 min walk). I just got a new hrm and it seems much more accurate, but takes into account information that neither of the ones before did.

edit: This is mine:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006QP0R2E/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The watch is a little on the big side, but so far it works extremely well. I've compared the calorie burn it states to online calculators (that uses vo2 max, avg hr, and duration) and the hrm usually says I burn 20-40 calories less than the calculators. I'm absolutely in love with it.
  • Viveyp21
    Options
    wow and at a great price