Water weight

Options
How do you lose water weight? I am gaining weight off and on and long story short it was suggested I am gaining water weight.

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Keep carbs and sodium low, drink plenty of water.
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    How do you lose water weight? I am gaining weight off and on and long story short it was suggested I am gaining water weight.

If you are retaining a lot of water weight, then I would suggest reducing your sodium level. Not only does it raise your blood pressure, but it also holds on to all of your water, causing you to gain weight.
  • jordantylergillespie
    jordantylergillespie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    As counter-intuitive as this might sound: Drink more water!

Seriously, you probably gain water weight from having excess sodium in your diet, the only way to get rid of that is to "flush" it out of your system by being fully hydrated. Only when you are fully hydrated will your weight not fluctuate as much to do water retention.
  • michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else! Luckily water weight is pretty easy to lose. Just avoid salt, starchy foods (rice, bread, pasta and potatoes) and drink tons of water so your body doesn't feel it has to hold on to it. You'll notice a huge difference in 3 days.. tops.
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    For me, there is little I can do. I try to drink lots of water, but honestly I think my body retain and holds onto it for what ever reason and there is little I can do.

My sodium is generally fairly low (at least it is when I eat food I prepare). And while I LOVE carbs, I have significantly cut down since generally I would rather eat my calories elsewhere. But for whatever reason, my body LOVES to retain water, then release it only to retain it again.