To much water

Options
Is it possible? I drank 13 glasses of water yesterday and it is only 10:20 in the morning here and I am already working on my 7th. I am just so thirsty though.

Thing is that since I started drinking all this water I have actually put on 2 pounds!

Replies

• lovmykids
    lovmykids Posts: 51
    Options
    I have the same question! I feel so bloated since drinking so much. I have cut back to 8 cups a day but still feel bloated.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    If you're thirsty, drink. Your body will tell you what you need. Also, watch your sodium and sugar intake. Too much of either can dehydrate you. 13 glasses is fine. 20 glasses would probably be fine. remember 1 glass= 8 oz. most drinking glasses are at LEAST 12 if not 20 oz...
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I don't think drinking all that water should cause weight. If you are that thirsty you may want to talk to your doctor, as there could be something else going on.
  • unknownndoll
    unknownndoll Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I usually drink 3-4 liters per day, I think its ok
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I find myself very thirsty after a high sodium day. I easily drink 120 oz of water a day. It's never been a problem except going to the restroom more frequently. Good luck!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    It is possible to drink too much water... but very rare. Generally the only way to drink too much is if you have a mental disorder causing an obsessive compulsive drinking of water. There have been cases where people were in contests and drinking a lot of water and holding their urine... but again, that is an abnormal situation.

The "average" person's body will not allow them to drink too much water.

If you're thirsty...drink. That feeling of being "full" is normal if you're drinking more than you usually drink... but again, generally not dangerous.
  • LilMissAngi
    LilMissAngi Posts: 127
    Options
    a friend told me to try Diurex.. She says her DR told her about it.

itll take off that water weight and all that bloatedness....

its over the counter.

I haven't had a chance to check into yet.
  • ZekeandKyliesMom
    ZekeandKyliesMom Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Well I don’t really use the glasses I have 24oz water bottles that I refill so one of those is 3 of my 8oz glasses of water and I have been drinking 3 – 4 of those a day.
    One of my problems though is that I just started trying to lose weight and before we were not very healthy eaters. Well we still have all this food at the house to eat that horrible for you but we don’t have the money right now to go out and completely restock the house. So basically I have been cutting my portion sizes, working out, and trying to eat the healthier stuff we do have like salads and grilled chicken and pork (my husband LOVES to grill and smoke meat).
  • AbiLuV
    AbiLuV Posts: 47
    Options
    If you weren't good about drinking the water you needed your body could just be soaking it up like a sponge. Give your body a chance to flush out the extra and the bad stuff.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Definitely keep drinking a lot of water. On a good day, I drink 120 oz. or MORE. As long as you're peeing, you should be fine. The weight is most likely temporary. Keep drinking and you should lose it.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    a friend told me to try Diurex.. She says her DR told her about it.

itll take off that water weight and all that bloatedness....

its over the counter.

I haven't had a chance to check into yet.

I wouldn't. Using diuretics can be dangerous... hard on the kidneys and quite honestly... unnecessary for most people. Our bodies will generally figure it out in a short period of time. I used a diuretic once... and that was the week before my wedding... TOM came to visit just in time for the festivities and with all my cute new clothes - I couldn't afford to be bloated and I didn't want to look bloated in every single picture taken that week... lol

Seriously though, they're not good for you and unless your doctor prescribes it, I wouldn't take them.
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Drinking water is a lot of water is great for you, but if you are thirsty all the time, even when you are well hydrated, that could be a symptom of diabetes. If you haven't been tested for that you might want to check with you doctor just in case. Particularly if you find yourself waking from thirst multiple times per night. This is a remote possibility though, so I wouldn't be worried.
  • belldandy1
    Options
    I agree that diuretics can be dangerous. One of the biggest risks is that they can cause you to become potassium deficient, and that can be very dangerous. I would try eating dandelion greens or asparagus because they have natural diuretic properties, but they also contain enough potassium to counteract the potentially dangerous effects.
  • ZekeandKyliesMom
    Options
    Drinking water is a lot of water is great for you, but if you are thirsty all the time, even when you are well hydrated, that could be a symptom of diabetes. If you haven't been tested for that you might want to check with you doctor just in case. Particularly if you find yourself waking from thirst multiple times per night.

Normally I am not that thirsty its just when I make it a point to start drinking more water. When I start drinking 1 or 2 bottles of water it seems like I just can’t get enough. Kind of like chocolate I am ok for the most part but once I have had some I just really want more, does that make sense?
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    see your doctor if this is only happening recently,if you always drink alot this may be ok,its the feeling of intense thirst that bothers me,have a siple urine test done followed by bloods if necessary,just as a precaution!
  • belldandy1
    Options
    Drinking water is a lot of water is great for you, but if you are thirsty all the time, even when you are well hydrated, that could be a symptom of diabetes. If you haven't been tested for that you might want to check with you doctor just in case. Particularly if you find yourself waking from thirst multiple times per night.

Normally I am not that thirsty its just when I make it a point to start drinking more water. When I start drinking 1 or 2 bottles of water it seems like I just can’t get enough. Kind of like chocolate I am ok for the most part but once I have had some I just really want more, does that make sense?

That does make sense. I am familiar with the more you drink the more you want phenomenon. It was that way for me when I first started drinking more water. It leveled off for me after a few weeks. If it still persists after a couple of weeks you may still want to mention it to your doctor, like I said, just as a precaution.
  • ZekeandKyliesMom
    Options
    That does make sense. I am familiar with the more you drink the more you want phenomenon. It was that way for me when I first started drinking more water. It leveled off for me after a few weeks. If it still persists after a couple of weeks you may still want to mention it to your doctor, like I said, just as a precaution.

I hope so because I am getting severly irritated with the fact that I have to pee every 10 min! lol
  • sweetrevenge
    sweetrevenge Posts: 188
    Options
    Is it possible? I drank 13 glasses of water yesterday and it is only 10:20 in the morning here and I am already working on my 7th. I am just so thirsty though.

Thing is that since I started drinking all this water I have actually put on 2 pounds!

May wanna get your blood sugar checked. Excessive thirst is a sign of diabetes.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    If your diet is high in sodium it can cause you to bloat, become dehydrated which then causes you to become more thirsty.