Day One....

Options
Hi Everyone.
Well Yesterday was day one of my journey to a new me. It was actually alot easier today than I thought. I have LOTS of weight to lose and decided to use Healthy Choice/Lean Cuisine meals to help me out. I am eating one for lunch one for supper with things in between like fruits veggies nuts yogurts. Yesterday I ate Oatmeal & a banana for breakfast, healthy choice chicken steamer for lunch, lean cuisine 5 cheese rigatoni for supper and my snacks for they day were yogurt, walnuts, cukes & an orange.

I was over 500 calories below what it recommended me to have and I was comfortably full. I had a little hunger pain about 8pm so I ate an orange which helped me out. My problem is the fat, I went over by 19g. if it wasn't for the walnuts I would have had only 19g of fat but instead I had 99g.

Is this ok???? I have heard there is "GOOD" fat and "BAD" fat....

Any suggestions what else I could eat to get some protein? I love crunchy nuts that's why I picked them.

Replies

• RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I like peanut butter. It's not LOADED with protein but it is higher calorie and has protein in it. I also eat Luna protein bars.
  • BuckeyeLuvvvva
    BuckeyeLuvvvva Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on starting this journey : )

Second there are good fats and bad fats. Check the labels on the stuff your eating: you want to stay away from saturated fats as much as possible, although some are okay. Trans fats really have no business being in anyone's diet ever... but it happens. Unsaturated (mono and poly) are the fats you want to incorporate into your diet.

Also as a sidenote, when I first started losing weight, I too took the frozen meal route. However, I think I burned myself out on it... if this happens to you one suggestion I can make is this: Hungry Girl. It's a free online daily subscription, and there are also cookbooks (I have 2) and they're a great way to keep your calories low while feeling satisfied. Essentially it's a matter of substituting better ingredients in the foods we already eat. For example sometimes i just crave French Toast, which can be around 120-150 cals per slice, but now I use a recipe where I can make 3 slices, add some sugar free breakfast syrup and voila! around 190 cals for the WHOLE thing...all 3 slices! yum! add a Morning Star sausage patty for around 80 cals and you've just done a very filling, high protein, high fiber breakfast for 270 cals... not too shabby! Hope this helps, good luck : )
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    It varies day to day. One fatty day is fine, but you should try not to make it a habit.

The frozen stuff is cheap and lo-cal, but it's really crappy food and loaded with sodium. If you have time, it's just as cheap, just as light, and way healthier to cook your own food. Check the recipe section here. :drinker:

Welcome aboard - you can do this.
  • cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Sorry - I beg to differ. The frozen stuff is not always cheap and ot "crappy" It is also quite varied. Read all labels. Some can be super high in sodium - others not so much . As with all foods /lables - check the contents. Lean Cusines , healthy Choices and many others have provided me with a great way to keep on track. You will get a 'ba-zillion opinions here on MFP. First and foremost - do waht works for you. You will stumbel - but you willnot fail! Good luck on your journey to your inner happy self!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    For protein:

- Eggs
    - Nuts
    - Seeds
    - Whole Grains like oats, whole wheat, quinoa, brown rice